Pacifica Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Matt Marquis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Decent hospitality company"

I have been working at Pacifica Hotels full-time

Pros

Lots of different locations on west coast.
    Good management.
    Most of the employees are very professional.

Cons

Training could be much better.
    Communication & logistics on a large scale really need to be better.
    Ability for staff to voice ideas, guest feedback and concerns lacking.

Advice to Management

Get better and dedicated HR.

"Horrible HR Team"

I worked at Pacifica Hotels full-time

Pros

There was nothing good at all.

Cons

Company has no value for employees.

3. "Could be better"

I worked at Pacifica Hotels full-time

Pros

my cowers and managers are nice

Cons

I feel like this company, like other companies treat the customers better than their employees, and the pay is really low.

Advice to Management

take better care of your employees!

4. "Love working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kailua Kona, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kailua Kona, HI

I have been working at Pacifica Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great hotel, fun, nice managers, team work, opportunity, fair, hard working, Marriott & Starwood room discounts. Most down to earth, caring people - from Owners to GM - ohana.

Cons

-Always something that can be improved if you look hard enough but really, nothing stands out. King Kame is great.

Advice to Management

Keep making things new with shave ice, etc. and retaining our culture/ history at the same time. We have what no other hotel has here.

5. "Happy employee"

I have been working at Pacifica Hotels part-time

Pros

Great managers, ability to grow within the company and beautiful ocean veiw

Cons

No downside. I have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Give the most hours to your best employees.

"AVOID THIS COMPANY at all costs! Dishonest, hostile leadership!!"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Pacifica Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The position was tolerable at first with a full team of trained staff. Staffing was adequate, hotel management took action when needed. It all seemed rather stable at first.

Cons

The reality is that the front-line employee comes last at this company. An oppressive corporate leadership replaced the friendly, casual leader we had prior. The entire front desk and management staff was turned over within a few months. Not many of them were happy with the way they were treated. There is effectively no Human Resources department. There is an accusatory tone when dealing with the department. The department does not provide follow up communication regarding employee concerns (if there is a response to the email in the first place). Experienced much difficulty in reversing selective discipline with regards to attendance with the department, amongst other problems. Corporate staff is entirely unaware of meal break policy and engages in low character behaviors, such as favoritism and retaliation. The previous post about trying to "push people out" is very accurate, and I believe it to be a systemic issue with the culture here. I was pressured to train the incoming management staff, while seeing job listings for my position paying the same or more as my current rate. Dishonesty is everywhere here. It seems that the executives promote a high turnover rate as part of the business model. Far too many other issues to list them all here. Do whatever you can to AVOID THIS COMPANY!

Advice to Management

Sell this business to the highest bidder. Far too many individuals in upper management engage in hostile business activities based on the fact that many of them are not interested in being legitimate businesspeople. And stop going to the Cal Poly job fair, since no talented college graduate should be subjected to the possibility of such a hostile work environment.

7. "Solid company with positive intentions"

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacifica Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ownership spends money as needed instead of neglecting concerns as some hotel companies do. Positive engagement and work environment. Not perfect, but when mistakes are made, cool heads and solutions prevail here. I have worked for large scale and small scale hotel companies and Pacifica is a solid company with their priorities straight. They care about employees and try to do their best to address concerns, use good judgement and listen to recommendations.

Cons

Pay rates could be better at times for certain positions. I found after I left that they posted my position at a much higher rate than I was making. I did also try and negotiate a better salary earlier this year and was turned down, even though I was doing very well in my role. That said, I was still happy working there and enjoyed the environment. I did leave for a better paying position about 4 months after I had asked for the increase. Benefits are good, not great, but in line with industry standards for the most part. The insurance I had when we started was better than the last go round.

Advice to Management

Better benefits and pay rates and fully consider increases when employees make a good case. I may have still left, but it would have slowed down my search for sure if my salary was adjusted when I requested.

Jun 29, 2017 – Director of Training & Development

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and suggestions. We truly value our team members and all they do to contribute to our success.

"Horrible Manager"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Pacifica Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company gives good benefit such as health insurance, paid vacation etc.

Cons

Manager lay the favoritism style, I f she likes the employee, she will be very nice to her/him , will give a private training about managerial task and duty , will give OT even unnecessary and they always chit chat at the back office discussing other employees performance.

Advice to Management

Please review managers performance too because they always act like they're the owner of the company.

Jul 19, 2017 – People Services & Payroll Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are glad to hear that you liked our benefit and vacation offerings but are sorry to hear about your experience with management. We'd love the... More

"False promises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Pacifica Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location was nice easy to get to close to beach and other nearby attractions

Cons

The management promised a lot and never delivered anything

Jun 29, 2017 – Director of Training & Development

So glad to know that you enjoyed the location, but we're disappointed to hear that your experience with us didn't meet your overall expectations. We'd love the opportunity to speak with you directly... More

"Marina del Rey Hotel - worst job of my life"

I worked at Pacifica Hotels full-time

Pros

- Hotel located on beautiful peninsula
    - salary reasonable (but not worth it)
    - fellow co-workers and hotel manager
    - great restaurant

Cons

- corrupt culture, even illegal
    - very high turnover rate
    - General Manager unprofessional
    - some managers not pad bonuses and treated very unfairly.
    - witnessed fellow employees being written up or fired for things that never happened to try to 'push them out'
    - employees doing drugs/ drinking on the job and caught NOT fired or written up
    - no structure, disaster
    - Very long hours as doing to the job of 3 people. not compensated but rather told to manage time better.
    - outdated systems
    - extremely corporate, no flexibility
    - Director of Sales horrible, untrustworthy, completely unprofessional, and disrespectful. knows how to decorate but nothing about rooms or sales.

Advice to Management

- Remove DOS from her position and replace with someone who is qualified, positive, trustworthy, and professional who encourages the team's success.
    - Pay bonuses as promised
    - be more selective with hiring
    - try retaining employees
    - take leadership courses
    - RUN A CLEAN BUSINESS!!!