Pact (Washington DC) Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pact (Washington DC) President & CEO Mark Viso
Mark Viso

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent (in 5 reviews)

• Without exception we agreed that there are serious problems with pact's leadership, in particular CEO Mark Viso (in 7 reviews)

1. "Exciting changes coming soon!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Pact (Washington DC) full-time

Pros

- Flexible hours
    - Professional, helpful, and friendly colleagues
    - International travel
    - Innovative ideas
    - Beautiful office space in the heart of Farragut West
    - Wine on Wednesdays !

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard, you're doing a great job.

2. "Mixed"

I worked at Pact (Washington DC) full-time

Pros

Great field teams who are very dedicated

Cons

High turnover in DC, effected continuity

"My thoughts on the CEO & Company"

Former Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC

Pros

Let me start this off by saying that overall I would give Pact five stars, but that's probably only because I had very limited interactions with CEO Trump - sorry, his name is actually Mark Viso, I seem to get them confused. The organisation is great, the work is even greater, and the greatest thing about Pact are the core employees that are truly the reason why this organisation is still relevant. However, CEO is absolutely awful, and I can't understand why he's still around even though the organisation is/has been having a lot of troubles, which can easily be construed by taking a look at the way the organisation chases things and the resultant crippling revenues.

Cons

If I had to sum up the entire cons of the organizations in three letters, it would be C-E-O. Granted, if your more of the type that likes a leader like Donald Trump you will absolutely love working with the CEO. However, if your cup of tea is anything other than a trumpian-leader, then I would highly recommend staying away from the CEO or staying away from the organisation until he is gone.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is difficult as they are a lot like delegates that really have no choice but to support the CEO, just as the current delegates have no choice but to support the presumptive nominee. If pact is truly a place where the voices of employees will be heard, then management (or better yet the board) needs to provide a confidential, anonymous survey with various metrics measuring the CEO and seeing whether the organisation wants to be led by more of a trumpian-leader or a leader that actually cares. Again, let the staff dictate who leads them, don't let the CEO dictate the staff, unless they truly want to be led in a trumpian fashion.

Sep 15, 2016 – VP Global HR

Thank you for your input. I could not agree more that Pact is great, the work we do at Pact is compelling and meaningful and the people who work at Pact are talented and committed individuals. The ... More

"Could be great but"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Mostly great people. Hard working. Great benefits, competitive salary.

Cons

Interesting to read the recent crop of obviously HR inspired reviews from junior folk. The reality higher up Is very different. When I was with Pact I was fairly lucky and enjoyed for the most part support from Mark Viso the President. However I did this by never disagreeing with him. I watched what happened to anyone (except a few chosen people) who dared to present a different view. Much of my and supervisors time (I had 2) was taken up working out how to avoid Mark completely of who to use to let him approve. It's all about who, not want. Intensive politics. One he gets hold of something he wants endless iterations before you are criticized, usually publically, for not getting something done. His very large ego dominates the organization and it's definitely management by fear. Senior staff simply wait to be moved on in general. The Board (I went twice) believe Mark's rhetoric, and talking is his strongest asset. They really have no clue

Advice to Management

Shut up and you will be ok.

"Loving my new home at Pact"

Current Employee - Director of Global Health in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director of Global Health in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pact (Washington DC) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This team is filled with intelligent, creative, innovative thinkers and doers who are passionate about the organizational mission and work. I have only been here a month and am happier with this company than I have ever been with any company I have worked for; I am a 30 year veteran in the world of Public Health. I enjoy my co-workers and love coming to the office.

The Senior Leadership Team are open and enthusiastic.

I really like being a part of the Pact team.

Cons

The open space takes a little getting used to. There is no such thing as a "private" conversation.

The integrated approach of technical areas and program support means that it can be a little bit confusing who is the best person to approach with an issue on any given project, but that will come with time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Keep being motivated by our mission and vision. Continue supporting the staff to be creative and innovative. Never fear "failure" as we learn from all our endeavors.

"Fake reviews... don't be fooled by recent "posts""

Current Employee - Officer
    Current Employee - Officer

I have been working at Pact (Washington DC) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good mission, nice coworkers, but CEO has got to change. Staff at HQ and abroad are passionate and dedicated. People work really long hours because it is the norm and also because of this passion.

Cons

Are you confused by the suddenly wonderful reviews on the Pact company page after years of bad reviews? It's because HR has made it their specific goal to change the image of Pact on Glass Door! In addition to hiring a consultant to help with the "Glass Door Problem" they've also had one of the junior human resources staff add it to his OKR online goal chart. Maybe because of ethics or optics, the OKR goal has now been officially removed but you can still find it in the archives! The series of 5 star reviews since February, HRs requesting all interns to write positive reviews, &the acquisition of the consultant shows their image control obsession continues. I wish they would address the problem outright instead of pretending that it does not exist.

Why is this happening now? The CEO is now being reviewed by the Board and he thinks he can fool them by posting 100% amazing reviews on the site! It is also affecting recruitment because wise people look beyond 4 months of fake reviews.

Advice to Management

7 years of year on year loss of revenue? 7 years of the same CEO? Wake up the Board of Directors. Have a staff survey done by an independent outside group or do interviews yourself. Have there be real accountability. Save Pact from being run into the ground.

Jun 13, 2016 – VP Global HR

Pact does have a great mission and wonderful employees working very hard to achieve real change in poverty around the world as you suggest. Pact has not hired a consultant to manage Glassdoor ... More

"An organization with real heart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Pact is the most authentic and inspired organization I have worked for. Pact holds itself accountable in the areas of transparency, innovation, collaboration and collegiality. The leadership team is grounded in trust and respect and the CEO does a great job of being externally facing and forward thinking while understanding project level work. The Board is highly engaged and hard working. The work environment is incredibly warm and the open space a plus.

Cons

No organization is perfect and leadership is human, not infallible. While there will always be improvements to be made, the commitment to make those improvements is real and requires compassion, good intent and partnership.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve communications within the organization.

Jun 13, 2016 – VP Global HR

Thank you for your review. As a member of the leadership team, I agree that there is a tremendous amount of trust and respect for the work and for the people at Pact dedicated to making a ... More

"Great mission driven organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I would say that Pact is the best NGO I have worked for thus far. Pact has renewed my faith for the international development sphere by being so committed to helping it's beneficiaries and seeing change in the field. It's very decentralized meaning the hq to field staff ratio favors the field considerably. Pacts commitment to making sure funds are in the field means hq staff is a bit on the slim side- definitely keeping everyone at hq busy. But Pact doesn't waste money on excessive travel or flashy events. The board meeting held recently was simple and the board members were accessible to staff to meet and answer questions. Everyone at hq works hard but there is a great balance, where there is also time to socialize and Pact hq's small size makes it easy to bond with coworkers and also pick up projects outside your department if they interest you (which most supervisors encourage you to do). There's a real team feeling at Pact and the open office makes it very easy to ask anyone for assistance. Culture is strong at all levels and leadership is accessibke with their open offices. I was impressed that Mark Viso introduced himself to me on my first day and I am entry-level staff. Overall wonderful organization working effectively and dedicated to its mission.

Cons

So far no cons. I've heard some complaints about leadership but that happens at every NGO.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster that strong sense of culture at all levels!

"Proud to be a part of Pact!"

Current Employee - Program Officer
    Current Employee - Program Officer

I have been working at Pact (Washington DC) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fulfilling work, always helps to know when things get tough that all efforts are for those that are less fortunate. Environment is very friendly as well - for the most part. There are some individuals who are incredibly rude and condescending, despite the fact that their primary role in the organization is to support all of the other departments.

Cons

I love Pact, and I love the majority of the individuals who work their as they are incredibly smart, helpful, and a joy to work with. However, there is a few bad apples in the organization, with one that comes to my and a few of my colleagues mind. Instead of trying to help us find ways to accommodate certain critical components of large projects, this individual stands in the way and addresses us with complete disdain. I'm not sure how she ever became the manager for a department who's primary focus is to find ways to streamline shared-service processes.

Advice to Management

We need to find ways to select individuals who truly embody everything that Pact stands for, especially individuals who make "Quality" their top priority and are customer-service oriented. It really ruins my day every time I come across this person who feels the need to address me in disparaging ways. Ultimately, myself and a few of my colleagues, will only tolerate so much before we leave the organization as has been the recent trend of the "good" people leaving and the "bad" ones staying. Please find ways to get rid of these individuals that treat us like we are meaningless despite the fact that their own body of work is to actually facilitate us.

Mar 22, 2016 – VP Global HR

Your love for Pact and most of the people you work with is precious and we all must contribute to protecting and advancing our culture. Your voice can be part of the solution. I encourage you to ... More

"Very Fulfilling Work!"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Washington, DC

I have been working at Pact (Washington DC) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At its core, pact is involved in very meaningful work around the world. As a result of this, I find myself doing better and better each day as I know that my efforts are for the good of those that truly need it. I've worked at a number of places, but pact is by far one of the better NGO's I've been at - very flexible, transparent, great compensation, and a great environment.

Cons

As a result of Pact's focus on helping the marginalized more effectively, there is currently a lot of innovation occurring at Pact. As a result, at times there can be far too many ideas that we don't necessarily have the resources to fund.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the great work that makes Pact a truly fulfilling place to be. Keep up the innovative environment, and keep up the transparency. Great job overall.