Paddy Power Betfair Reviews in Stevenage, England | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Paddy Power Betfair CEO Breon Corcoran
Breon Corcoran
1 Rating

Pros
  • Some good people still left from the pre-merger paddy power (in 27 reviews)

• You will find here great people to work with (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • can be long hours but can get many days off in a row which makes up for long days (in 19 reviews)

• total compliance is rewarded and hence encouraged in senior management (in 17 reviews)

"Stevenage"

Former Employee - Marketing in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Paddy Power Betfair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many social activities, strong culture

Cons

Too many layers of management, vary hard to get noticed and make big changes

Advice to Management

Invest more in career development

2. "Good company to start with"

Former Employee - Key Account Executive/Customer Service Representative in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Paddy Power Betfair (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to start with! Very comfortable environment and you can always find time for a regular communication with your colleagues. Good canteen. Sometimes you can get a nice training.

Cons

It's a huge company and if you started from the bottom line for you it will be almost impossible to get higher. Team leader and managers are normally busy with their career and not with their teams.

Advice to Management

Please do not isolate yourselves from other levels. We have had in Stevenage so many "hidden caves" where our manager felt super comfortable and never care about real job.

3. "Not a pleasant experience"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Operator in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Operator in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Paddy Power Betfair as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Modern structure
    - Stable systems architecture
    - poor security
    - excellent training
    - opportunities for progression

Cons

- target-based
    - poor management
    - terrible supervisors
    - sly colleagues
    - lack of trust
    - over competitiveness between staff
    - pressurised environment
    - vast majority of calls are negative (anger of losing, gambling problems)

Advice to Management

- lighten-up
    - address office environment
    - restructure of customer services

5. "Helpdesk Operator"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Specialist in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Specialist in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Paddy Power Betfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere and relaxed environment. Salary.

Cons

Very difficult company for career progression. Too many departments thinking inside of the box.

6. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Exchange Operator in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Exchange Operator in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Paddy Power Betfair part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility
    Great environment in the office and a good place to gain some experience and develop the ability to work under pressure

Cons

Terrible communication from CEO. Post-merger with Paddy Power there was an appalling method from the CEO to announce that there is a possibility for Stevenage office closing down and redundancy is a highly likely.

Terrible amount of breaks. If you were to smoke or are a full timers you have the ability to take a break whenever. As a part-timer we cannot even be seen accessing any social media sites or video/audio streaming sites and pretty much get about 20 minute break in an 8 hour shift

No real career development except going full time and its not even that great of a pay unless you are a lead or a manager

Advice to Management

Realise the amount of work and checkings part timers have to do. If the food at a restaurant is bad you cant blame the waiter, its the chefs fault. So if there is an error in a game right up until kick off, full timers should be more aware of this than the part timers

7. "A vibrant place to work, where learning is at its centre."

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Paddy Power Betfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Personal Improvement & Development is central to Betfair's employee engagement targets.

Cons

The staff is rather underpaid when considering the workload and skills involved.

Advice to Management

This is a corporate environment, but transparency in decision-making can still be improved.

8. "Refreshing, especially for a customer service role!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Paddy Power Betfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good level of pay, overtime is always available without being forced at all, the office vibe is brilliant, all the managers are one of the boys and the location of the office is handy for those who commute.

Cons

The only one that really springs to mind is that utilities such as the phone system, and the programme for viewing and distributing the rota seem to undergo dubious changes every-so-often, although, having said that, this is probably more down to contractual reasons than choice.

Advice to Management

Pick a system and stick with it! However, you are doing a brilliant job at glamming up a role that involves being shouted at down the phone a lot, and creating a fantastic atmosphere that makes you want to come in every day and argue with customers!

"Good company, terrible management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Paddy Power Betfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bupa health care
    Nice office

Cons

Managers have no time for their staff, and undervalue them. Have to work a large number of weekends. To get a promotion you need to be very chummy with the boss, or you dont stand a chance.

Advice to Management

Look after your best staff, don't treat them as poorly as you have, or they will continue to leave and the high turnover of staff will continue.

10. "Telebroker,on course market opps,Betfair education and customer recruiting at live events"

Former Employee - Telebroker in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Telebroker in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Paddy Power Betfair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the variety working for other departments,even if it did mean doing 70+ hours a week. Fellow telebrokers were willing to swap shifts with me to enable me to carry out duties for other departments

Cons

The challenges were mainly having to cope with the majority of middle managers who were absolutely clueless,and in most cases useless. I encountered at least 10 in my time (mainly because of the different departments i worked for),MOST appeared to have been employed ONLY on who they knew rather than what they knew!! I was there in the pre-flotation days,and although Betfair made profits in those days,those profits were a LOT LESS than they should have been due to CLOWNS at the top. I was mainly in Stevenage where the director was about as much use as using a hockey stick to return a Nadal serve!! A departmental manager once told me 'We pulled the wool over her eyes left,right and centre' The result was the employment of more 'yes' people who were of little use in driving the company forward and were just an unnecessary expense. In my early working years (not in the betting industry) I was told by the oldboy of my department that a person at the top won't employ someone better than him/her because they will be a threat,so he employs someone not as good as him. That next person does the same and so one,resulting in a dilution of talent from the top downwards. That was Stevenage to a tee and from what I saw at Hammersmith it looked similar there. Those sort of frustrations were evident in at lest 3 very talented and knowlegdeable people leaving. As I am still in contact with ex colleagues I have learnt that a lot of those 'managers' I described were dispensed with,so it appears I was not the only person who saw them as a problem. Alas one of two managed to avoid the axe

Advice to Management

I can't really advise as it is 4 years since I left. The advice i would've given the day I left appears to have been carried out,namely getting rid of a lot of rubbish

"The Boat Is Sinking"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Paddy Power Betfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hard working and Intelligent People

Cons

Too many managers:Too much politics:No promotion prospects:

Advice to Management

You are dealing with people - not robots::