PagerDuty "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

PagerDuty Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Oct 26, 2019

4.6
PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada
Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is 100% there, for me at least(in 19 reviews)

• "Good management who are always open to new ideas, catered lunch, great people with lots of enthusiasm, helpful mentorship(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company scales(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"An empathic and fast-paced company"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like every company, PagerDuty has its issues, but it does its best to listen to feedback from employees and quickly implement changes. In my opinion, the people who work at PagerDuty are genuinely kind, empathic, and do their best. In engineering and product, at least, there really are no tech bros which is saying a lot for being a tech company. Jenn, the CEO, is wonderful. She is constantly iterating on how... best to share information with us and her energy always makes me more excited to work at the company. Work/Life balance is 100% there, for me at least. I'm never asked to work outside of working hours unless I'm on-call, and if I have a particularly busy on-call week my coworkers or manager are quick to acknowledge it and give me time off to rest. The company also does a good job of showing us how our work is impacting the lives of other people. Whether that's big, profitable customers using PagerDuty to add technology to their older business models, or small non-profits using PagerDuty for life-saving actions like suicide hotlines, PagerDuty makes sure we know how our work impacts our customers. I've been at PagerDuty for over 2.5 years and am so proud to be a Dutonian. Instead of letting people leave when they no longer want to stay in their original role, I've noticed PagerDuty works with employees to find a better fit for them within the organization. The company recognizes talent and wants to keep it and help it grow rather than let us move on to other companies with open roles that are more suited to our new interests. That, to me, is the sign of a company that cares about its people.

Cons

The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on. This can lead to duplicate work being done and a general feeling of siloing if you don't make an effort to talk to other teams.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the feedback of PagerDuty's people. We share it because we care, not because we want to start drama!

PagerDuty2019-10-21

"Great, merit-based culture; fantastic people"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Hands down, the people - Flexibility regarding your schedule - Hard work is recognized and rewarded - Amazing work-life balance I'm working with some of the most down-to-earth, smartest people I've ever worked with in my career. I learn from everyone daily, including my peers, my manager, and the executive team. This is probably team-dependent, but we have a lot of flexibility with regard to our... schedule. As long as we're available for meetings and get our work done, no one cares what time you get to or leave the office, or whether you decide to work from home that day because you don't feel well or just don't feel like commuting to the office. Do I have to work weekends sometimes? Sure, but they don't happen often, and it's worth it for the overall flexibility. Which leads me to...sick days. HR and the exec team actually _encourages_ people to stay home and take sick days to rest up and heal when they're sick. They send out multiple reminders to ask people to stay home when sick. I've never worked at any other place where leadership actually encourages this sick policy. Best part is that your team will likely step in to cover for you and tell you to sign off and stop working while sick. Employees are recognized for their contributions here. There's an internal program where employees can publicly give thanks to other employees for their help or work, and it fosters a great culture. Reviews are 360, so it's not just employees being reviewed—managers are also given feedback on where they're doing well and where they can improve.

Cons

- Some underperformers are allowed to stay too long without being called out - Office location is a little inconvenient (but I suppose that's nitpicking) There needs to be a better system to recognize underperformers to help them improve. Otherwise, it places the burden on others on the team, potentially creating resentment and preventing the team overall from running on all cylinders. Nothing can be done... about office location, but that's more the fault of public transportation being unreliable. But it's nice having schedule flexibility because that means there's rarely such a thing as being late to work.

PagerDuty2019-10-21
  3. "One of top places I've worked for with great diversity"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Diversity, Inclusive, work life balance. You will work with great people at a growing company with really great benefits. Free catered lunches every day and full breakfast on Wednesdays. Fully stoked kitchen with drinks, snacks, cereals and a large variety of items. Unlimited coffee, Kombucha, Cold Brew and you can even make your own premium hot brews!

Cons

No 401k match, Lots of meetings. Teams can feel disconnected at times. Growing company going through growing pains. Need better tools to get the job done at times.

Advice to Management

Engage teams to mingle together and facilitate opportunities for teams to talk to each other with team building activities.

PagerDuty2017-07-29
  4. "Wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance! Opportunities to learn and grow! Welcoming atmosphere and lots of driven people! One of my favorite companies to work for, hands down!

Cons

No 401k matching, but it's hard to find start ups these days that do this.

Advice to Management

Keep on hiring smart folks!

PagerDuty2017-07-26
  5. "Care about customers and employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Onboarding is fast but really well executed. Coworkers are humble, but brilliant and super motivated in a startup environment Ideas are heard and welcomed Transparency from upper management and throughout company Feel encouraged to learn more skills to help my career, well supported to grow in my career Environment is relaxed but still professional, not superficial or gluttonous I'm happy to get up every... morning and go to work! Great work-life balance Cold brew & kombucha on tap, delicious lunches and breakfasts catered Opportunity to grow in a direction you are passionate about pursuing Even though it's a startup, I trust in the executive decisions being made, never feel like i"m going to lose my job

Cons

With a growing population it can be kind of hard to meet coworkers in other departments. You end up slacking people and never really meeting them. Maybe more cross-departmental bonding activities could help to keep the community feel. They also have other locations, so you may need to collaborate with other long distance (if that *is* an issue for you of course)

Advice to Management

I think you guys are doing great. super stoked to have all of you supporting us and your great leadership. Thanks!

PagerDuty2016-11-16
  6. "Great company"

I worked at PagerDuty

Pros

-Very laid back co-workers, who are at the same time very intelligent, empathetic, and helpful. Many will go out of their way to help you out -Flexible working conditions -- many work from home at least once a week -Work life balance, since most employees are married and have families. Most teams work 10-6, or something similar. No crunchtime, no staying at the office until 8-9pm. This is a huge plus that can be... hard to find in tech companies these days. -Meaningful and technically challenging work is always to be found -Great office food and snacks -Nap room -Beautiful office space Jennifer's been doing excellent work to get PagerDuty to reach its potential.

Cons

Although already generous, pay/benefits could be better for PagerDuty to remain competitive (e.g. with unicorns) and attract top talent, especially considering how profitable it is.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue communication and open dialogue with the engineers.

PagerDuty2016-10-03

"Awesome company to work for!"

Current Employee - SMB Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Competitive compensation -Listening - they take input from everyone and actually implement changes quickly -Culture - the people I work with are fun, hard-working, and really smart people -Benefits - catered lunches everyday, fully stocked kitchen, frequent fun events and off sites, awesome prizes for monthly sales spiffs, etc. -PRODUCT - its great to sell a product that's extremely sticky -- our customers love... us. -Work-life balance - people come in and work hard, but it's not overkill like a lot of startups today. The sales workday is about 8-5 most days. -Management - the exec team is very accessible and approachable with great leadership styles. It's pretty cool to have the ability to chat with the CEO, CTO, VP of Sales, etc. on a daily basis. -Location - cool office right in the heart of SOMA

Cons

To be honest, I don't have that many negative things to say about working at PagerDuty. One thing I would like to see in the near future is 401K matching.

PagerDuty2014-10-10
  8. "Great place to work - fun, challenging problems, diverse culture"

I have been working at PagerDuty

Pros

Really like working at PagerDuty. Great leadership team, and super engaged customers who love our product. Business is growing quickly. Great team, fun place to work with awesome work/life balance. Lots of potential to grow with the company as we build out more areas of the business.

Cons

Like any startup, we always have to discuss big topics like how we want to grow the business and how we can preserve culture with rapid team growth. Glad we have a leadership team that welcomes & drives these conversations throughout the company.

Advice to Management

Defining our values & vision will be helpful to guide day-to-day decisions.

PagerDuty2014-09-26

"Amazing culture, brilliant engineers, beloved product"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are phenomenal here. There's no discernable office drama. Engineering is fairly flat, and you still have broad latitude to engage your brain and make critical technical decisions, even as an intermediate engineer. There is very good engineering culture here, and while there are problems in every code base, we really deal with technical debt and strive to build sustainable systems. I attribute this to... having technical founders. PagerDuty is a fairly well-known product in devops circles, and it is widely considered very reliable and it does exactly what it says on the tin, so one of the best things about PD is that you get to work on something that people actually like. Culturally, it's a great place to be. The Vibe team does an excellent job of taking care of meals (lunch catered daily, breakfast on Wednesdays), activities, etc. There's a lot of alcohol around if you drink (though this has been snubbed during business hours now). Snacks are abundant. Also nerf guns. The web team decorated their team room with a bunch of nautical stuff. Every engineer has a height-adjustable desk and an ACD. Vacation time-off is actually prescribed, vs many startups where it's "unlimited." I actually prefer this, since I'm always unsure as to whether or not I've crossed some unstated threshold. Sick leave is unlimited, like most places. It is common for people to work from home whenever they're feeling under the weather, or if they just feel like skipping the commute that day. Work/life balance is very good. It seems like most people tend to roll in around 10am and roll out around 5-6pm. Even though we go on call, most teams seem to be mindful of alert fatigue and we address recurring issues. Compensation is on par with the market. Not outstanding, but it seems to be about the same as other offers I've received.

Cons

The commute is in SF, so that's kind of bad at times. Teams are either in a shared team room or out in the open, which some people prefer, but sometimes I'd like to have a small office to myself to focus.

PagerDuty2014-07-11

"An incredibly smart, caring team working on a product we (and our customers) love"

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've never worked with better engineers than at PagerDuty. Everyone is driven, competent, friendly, and caring, and there's a sense of quality and product that goes from the engineers all the way through the execs. It's also at the perfect size: successful and growing, but still small and agile. Work-life balance is good (it's a ghost town by 6:30 or 7) and the food is great, but the real reason to work here is... the amazing people. Many of us came from (or have had offers from) the big players in the bay— Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc— and we'd much rather be here.

Cons

Nothing! I'd much rather be here than

PagerDuty2014-07-02