Palantir Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2020

3.8
Palantir Technologies Co-Founder and CEO Alex Karp
Alex Karp
Pros
  • "Smart people who care about the mission(in 34 reviews)

• "Palantir is a place makes the rest of Silicon Valley look like it is working on toy train sets(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Consuming and work life balance can be hard to maintain if you don't stand up for yourself(in 69 reviews)

• "tons of the usual growing pains(in 23 reviews)

"Smart folks, fast-paced, and self-driven."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Your coworkers are going to be incredibly competent. I've been here for a year and a half and I haven't yet encountered a coworker who wasn't good at their job. The culture is very fast-paced, sorta feels like early Facebook's "move fast and break things". If you're self-motivated and enjoy ambiguous high-impact problems, Palantir is for you. In all things, Palantir minimizes process. You get to define how things get done, and it's up to you to make it happen. If you enjoy a lot of structure/process, Palantir will probably be really painful.

Cons

The culture is really fast-paced/intense. If you're bad at taking time off/unplugging from work (and most Palantirians are), Palantir won't stop you from overworking. For this reason, there's a good amount of burnout. The culture also is built around being a self-starter. It's not okay to be blocked by other people, and you'll be expected to think outside of the box to solve problems and get yourself unblocked. If you don't like ambiguous/difficult problems, you're going to have a bad time. If you're bad at unplugging from work, you're going to have a bad time.

"Great Place to Develop"

Current Employee - Deployment Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

A ton of autonomy from day one Opportunities for meaningful impact Great people, independent thinkers

Cons

0 handholding, have to be comfortable figuring things out yourself; only good for a certain type of person People don't understand what we do

"Immature Leadership And Shady Layoffs"

2.0
    Current Employee - FDE in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people. Everyone you work with is smart and scrappy. I went to an Ivy League and most everyone else did as well. Overall the culture is humble and hard working. I genuinely believe what we do makes the world a safer, better place though coming from someone with immigrant parents there are times when our work tows the line of what I personally support. That being said, I believe a lot of this lies in the nature of most government contracts. Leads are hit or miss. I’ve had really good ones but lead training is amateur at best. Performance reviews don’t exist so there’s a lot of he said/she said with handoffs. Your upward trajectory depends heavily on your lead and advocating for yourself. Benefits are top notch. Perks are good but expect those to continue to be cut as we cut costs. Pay is competitive. Catered food and snacks in NY office is legit.

Cons

Recent layoffs have most questioning the direction and effectiveness of leadership. Many of my friends on events, recruiting, and operations were laid off without notice. I heard they lost access to their laptops same day without being able to hand off work or say goodbye. Leadership said “downsizing” was due to decreased hiring goals but they let go some of the best who I know had active work. Individuals who started long before me that were here 5-10 yrs. A lot of top performers that made positive change at Palantir in advocating for diversity and working with engineering. They laid off leads but kept newer hires. The logic seems to be about short term bottom line. Most of us can’t wrap our heads around how they picked who they did unless it’s in preparation for an exit. My recruiter friends told me even the recruiters feel the same. No one knows who’s next. Leadership said at a townhall that they worked with the downsized individuals looking for other positions they could rotate to but I heard this isn’t true. When leadership is repeatedly asked about diversity, female leadership, and the lay offs, nothing gets a real answer. They sent an email about the recruiting layoffs with reasoning that didn’t tie to the people that were let go. Growing tired of the same old story. A lot of people talking about leaving though there’s talk of IPO. Karp is a ticking time bomb. Treated like royalty at our office in NY but everyone is walking on eggshells waiting for the next egregious comment he’ll make to the media or an all hands.

Continue reading

"Haven for the mission driven"

4.0
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong mission focus, interesting problems to solve, solid benefits package.

Cons

Lots of signs that Palantir is trending towards an IPO. Expect spending and perks to be cut in the next couple years. Consuming and work life balance can be hard to maintain if you don't stand up for yourself.

"Great opportunity"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

Good compensation Challenging and innovative work

Cons

Work is getting controversial recently

"Ultra-high-growth tech company with organizational challenges"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, access to clients/projects that typically require decades of experience, no-nonsense culture that rewards action and mission orientation.

Cons

Flat company structure that can be difficult to navigate without some political savvy, negligible training/mentoring (mostly trial-by-fire), small leadership with inconsistent performance.

"Nice People, Flawed Organization"

1.0
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice co-workers, nice office, good food

Cons

"flat organization" means they have sercet hierarchies that are incredibly difficult to identify and navigate. Complete lack of work-life balance. Office has people staying late into the night across teams, every single night. Every-man-for-himself vibe. No transparency. toxic.

"Unique Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You’ll meet and work with some of the most intelligent people in tech. People are generally nice and the snacks are tasty.

Cons

Work-life balance is not ideal, even if you make it a priority. Salaries aren’t the most competitive and it’s more about the value of experience you gain here.

Continue reading

"Brilliant people working hard on problems that matter"

Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at Palantir Technologies full-time

Pros

- Employees get to work on the problems that truly matter to the world - Genuine mission orientation, not just lip service - Overall talent quality is outstanding - Distinctive and creative culture that spans all teams

Cons

- If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 job, this is not the right fit

"Amazing company with amazing opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Forward Deployed Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

From day one you get exposed to challenging problems and you help important institutions solve them by using data. Great company mission. It's easy to move from team to team and learn about different industries. Amazing perks. Every person I have met is interesting and brilliant. I love going to work every day.

Cons

Not a great relationship with media (we don't really have any). There's a lot of false/wrong information out there about our work and not a lot being done to fix that. People tend to get confused with what we do or why we work with certain customers.

Found 330 reviews