Palantir Technologies Site Reliability Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Alex Karp

"Challenging and fulfilling"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

SREs have the ability to work on almost anything in the company, whether it be working directly with a customer in the field or embedding within a product development team to improve the infrastructure and reliability of our products. The tech stack is incredibly complex and consists of a lot of open source and proprietary systems, there is a lot of opportunity to grow technically as a result. SREs have the freedom to operate autonomously and are often encouraged to innovate in a lot of different ways.

Cons

The company is growing quite rapidly, which is a very good thing. But there are some growing pains to overcome.

Palantir Technologies2018-03-14

"Great Place to Be!"

Site Reliability Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Palantir Technologies

Pros

Working here is always a challenge, especially given how much freedom new employees are given.

Cons

Culture is changing over time, but it happens as companies get bigger.

Palantir Technologies2017-01-18

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work with amazing and talented people.

Cons

Low salary and compensation with some growing pains.

Palantir Technologies2015-10-24

"SRE at Palantir"

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talent and tools - There are really smart, experienced people here to learn and grow as a tech from, we have a mix of opensource software in use which are of course transferrable and some internal tools. Any SRE can contribute to the tools and write as much, or as little code as you're comfortable with. There is a lot of opportunity to travel to different places, some SREs are rarely in the office, and some never go anything else.. Also the provided breakfast, lunch, dinner and fully stocked kitchens are also a bonus, and the onsite physio therapy, and massages. There is no micro management, I am left to my own work and no constant "check up" from a manager to "make sure I am working" but the support is still there if needed. A lot of the "work/life" issues in other reviews tend to be from Software Engineers, and not an issue with SREs (I had the same concern when starting) - the docs are surprisingly good as well.

Cons

If you like normal work "structure" ie a manager giving you tasks to do, and having regular "catch ups" to ensure you are actually working, then for you, Palantir could be a struggle.. Personally I can manage my own time, and work so this is a Pro for me.

Palantir Technologies2018-06-21

"Fantastic people at a great company"

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

- A group of incredibly talented and intelligent people and the opportunity to learn every day. This goes hand in hand with an incredibly diverse set of hard problems to solve, which keeps it interesting. - An amazing amount of flexibility over what I work on and motivation to work on the most important things.

Cons

- The learning curve is very steep and it's difficult to board the speeding train. - If you're looking for a structured role that is the same day in day out and aren't prepared to be flexible in what you are working on you should look elsewhere.

Palantir Technologies2018-03-15

"“The Only Job I’ve Ever Genuinely Enjoyed""

I have been working at Palantir Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I’ve worked at a large number of companies and institutions during my career, and I can honestly say that Palantir is the only time I’ve ever derived genuine satisfaction from work. The work is challenging, and colleagues are smart, driven and likable. There’s an old saying that holds true here: “If you’re the smartest person in the room, then you’re in the wrong room.” This is not how it feels to work at Palantir - you're never in the wrong room. And yet since everyone automatically accepts your value, there’s no such thing as a dumb question, and help is everywhere. Working at Palantir for one year is like working five years anywhere else. Palantir makes you better, and it's virtually impossible not to grow professionally and technically simply by following the examples set by such a high bar. There’s virtually no hierarchy and everyone has a large amount of autonomy to get the job done. If you identify a problem that no one has addressed, then you’re empowered to do whatever is necessary to fix it. The kinds of problems being worked on, and the sort of casual discussions that occur around the office, are fascinating. Engineers become fully fledged subject matter experts in order to solve big difficult problems, and there are new and interesting projects being taken on all the time. The London office is tight-knit with a lot of social activities. The perks include travel and free food, the latter of which should probably be listed under cons as well, since its presence requires self-discipline in order to resist snacking and over-eating.

Cons

The work/life balance is not as bad as many people here say, but it certainly isn’t a fixed 9 to 5. My experience is that Palantir attracts a certain type of intelligent, driven individual who work long hours and seem physically incapable of allowing themselves to leave the office until their own task list is complete. Deadlines can exert pressure, but otherwise pressure tends to be self-imposed. Also, people work hard, and the longer day they work the more they get done. And these people tend to have the most cred and to be celebrated as the high achieving rockstars. This can be motivating to some, but daunting to others, depending on the mindset. In any case, Work/life balance is an issue that is on the table and is taken very seriously. Palantir really isn't for everybody. No one is here just to pick up a paycheck or to get an easy ride. It's full of hard workers and cautious idealists.

Palantir Technologies2015-06-17

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews