Palgrave Macmillan Reviews | Glassdoor

Palgrave Macmillan CEO Daniel Ropers
Daniel Ropers

"great people work here"

I have been working at Palgrave Macmillan full-time

Pros

Excellent community, surrounded by intelligent hard working people committed to academic publishing. Great location, good reputation, room to move up, supportive services, working with strong authors.

Cons

The recent merger with Springer has caused a bit of unsettlement, with new systems being introduced, but also provided new opportunities. Lots of turnaround, which seems common in the industry, workload can be quite intense, but also interesting.

Palgrave Macmillan2016-04-08
    • "Boring, pretty basic job"

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Palgrave Macmillan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice location and offices, good health benefits

Cons

Not a great salary, not enough diversity

Palgrave Macmillan2018-03-20
    • "A lovely imprint destroyed by corporate greed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Palgrave Macmillan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-some colleagues are good -pay is decent

Cons

I started working here pre-Springer, and I loved my job. Now we are under Springer and it is terrible to come to work every day. Springer doesn’t care about authors, the books, quality, or anything except quantity and money. They cut cost wherever they can at the expense of the books. It’s been truly sad to watch Palgrave Macmillan be destroyed by another imprint. Don’t work here unless you’re looking for just a pay check...

Advice to Management

Maybe care a little more about your reputation and your products than about factory producing thousands of books. Our authors hate us, and management doesn’t have to deal with authors so they don’t care.

Palgrave Macmillan2018-02-12

"Don't be another hamster in the wheel"

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Palgrave Macmillan full-time

Pros

Amazingly talented and creative people. You'll have the opportunity to travel even at an entry level Editorial Assistant position. If you're desperate for an job after college and are fully prepared to settle... Palgrave is the place for you. They hire regardless of what you majored in. It's a mildly reputable company, especially if you're just starting.

Cons

If you would like to be tremendously underpaid and overworked, you've come to the right place. Most entry level assistants are working on 80-110 books a year and the starting salary is laughable. The quality of the books is poor and barely rigorous. I can recall multiple times where I read some of the material I was asked to submit to production and I thought to myself "How on earth are we publishing this? The workload...

Advice to Management

Please prioritize the mental health of your employees. There is no reason for teams and individuals to be taking the burden for vacancies that cannot be filled due to the convoluted practices of the company. Realize that Palgrave Macmillan is not Springer and the rapid decline of the imprint is directly correlated to the automated workflow that has been enforced as a result of the merger.

Palgrave Macmillan2018-02-07
    • "Easy to get hired, but you'll regret it."

I worked at Palgrave Macmillan full-time

Pros

EAs don't have to work insane hours or on the weekends; if you like the anonymity of working for a big company it's nice. Your paycheck comes on time every two weeks; company is flexible about time off/sick time. Opportunities for international travel (mainly for editors).

Cons

The merger between Springer and Palgrave completely ruined the Palgrave working environment. Any kind of enjoyment anyone might have had in the work is long gone because of unrealistically high numbers for limited staff, innumerable torturous and exacting automated "workflows", and generally a "quality over quantity" approach. There are so many intelligent, interesting people who work here who are reduced to how quickly...

Advice to Management

Value the books you publish, the people who write them, and the people who work for you.

Palgrave Macmillan2017-11-30

"Terrible work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Palgrave Macmillan full-time

Pros

The people are very nice (in the NY office).

Cons

There is no direction with the company. It has become increasingly UK run who seem to possess little empathy and understanding of their US co-workers. Rather than look for solutions to make sure everyone is happy, they continue to be baffled as to why people continue to quit.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. They are people too. Not just cogs in a machine that have to put up with your bad decisions.

Palgrave Macmillan2016-02-22
    • "Nice place to learn"

I worked at Palgrave Macmillan

Pros

Everybody is very smart and willing to help share their input on various projects

Cons

industry is a little shaky right now

Palgrave Macmillan2015-11-05

"Good place to work - pay is low"

I worked at Palgrave Macmillan full-time

Pros

People there are really smart, but it's changed a lot since I was working there. Really organized and dedicated group at the time, though.

Cons

Pay is low, work expectations are high - as with pretty much all publishing jobs, they expect you to be able to do everything and then some, and do it thankfully for half the normal salary.

Advice to Management

From what I hear, there's a lot of changes happening, so I think good communication and expectations would be the best course of forward.

Palgrave Macmillan2015-09-08

"Great People Constantly Shifting Management Though"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Palgrave Macmillan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and the products produced. Some great cutting edge material

Cons

Management was all over the place. I don't know what it is currently like though.

Palgrave Macmillan2015-08-16

"Very Underpaid Publishing House"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Palgrave Macmillan for more than a year

Pros

Marketing jobs at Palgrave are relatively low stress and you do get summer fridays which is nice.

Cons

This is one of the lowest paid publishing houses in NYC. At least for entry level positions, there is no negotiating salaries at all.

Advice to Management

Make the salaries more competitive so your employees feel like their work is being valued!

Palgrave Macmillan2015-08-05