Pall Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pall President & CEO Lawrence D. Kingsley
Lawrence D. Kingsley

Pros
Cons
  • no work life balance so you cant spend your time with family (in 7 reviews)

• Long establish upper management allows dead wood to float around in the bldg (in 11 reviews)

"Pall is a tough place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

Pros

If you are the kind of person that likes to work hard for very little pay or respect Pall is the place to work. You do get a lot of holidays off.

Cons

Pall is the kind of place that will take advantage of a good worker. Additionally they are unwilling to negotiate salaries at the time of an offer letter. Leadership is very disorganized with no real structure or vision.

Advice to Management

It is time to evaluate all of the salaries of your employees to make sure that they are level across all fields. When new employees are brought in with significantly higher salaries than existing employees it is a slap in the face.

"A very lean operation. Althought the benefits are good, the work load will kill you."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Decent benefits. Bagels and blue jeans on casual Fridays. The company also provides Starbucks coffee for employees every work day. The perfect work environment for those who enjoy working extended hours - and on weekends.

Cons

The work force is very lean - therefore ability to actually use earned vacation is rarely feasible. Good luck being able to travel on your vaction... "Earned vacation" is more apt to become "earned work from home" day. There is an expectation that employees work long hours and weekends. What??? Cancer got you down?.. We'll make today "bring your chemo drip to work day"... nobody minds if your lips are blue from treatment. You'll be a trend setter and inspiration for others. The staff who have seen the local Ann Arbor site dwindle to a fraction of what Pall/Gelman once was, are great to work with. They however have witnessed fellow colleagues eliminated from the operation - often with little notice or questionable justification. Therefore those who are left, despite being pleasant - harbor anger and bitterness. Everyone believes their needs are more urgent than everyone elses. Not a good place to work if you have loved ones or interests outside of work.

Advice to Management

Based on the stress and overwhelming work load required, the leadership at Pall exhibits questionable respect for employee well being. The work environment is not pleasant or gratifying. I therefore, would not recommend Pall as employer to others.

"Awful and painful place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

Pros

Christmas "shutdown" vacation days for all full time employees.

Cons

-No leadership
    -Some senior management personnel are incompetent at their jobs, no performance evaluation
    -Diversity is absent in the company.
    -Internal employees are overlooked for promotions.
    -Major company being operated as a small business.
    -No sick days

Advice to Management

There are too many VPs and not enough workers. Please evaluation your senior management to inquire, if they are worth the 6 figure salary.
    Employees feel oppressed and are dissatisfied. Projects are held up because of incompetent management and department personnel.

"OMG"

I have been working at Pall full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits can be better than in other places

Cons

If you are looking at these reviews to help make a decision between this and another company, my advice is to take the other company's offer.

If you are seeking an engineer position, your workload will be crazy and your results probably won't please the management. Don't be surprised if you are given trainings in 6Sigma, SPC, etc & are still treated like a half-wit.

If you are interested in a manager position, you will need skin like a hippopotamus. You will also be buried with work and have maybe one person to delegate simple tasks to. Most of your time will be spent in meetings, and you will be held accountable for all the work not done because you are constantly in meetings.

There is nowhere to go and no advancement opportunity here. Outsiders are brought in to fill higher spots and those who wanted to work their way up have to leave to make it happen.

If you applied for production operator, I hope you like finding out on Friday that you're expected to work a weekend day too so the schedule can catch up! On the plus side, you just need to follow directions, keep your head down and don't hurt yourself doing something dumb.

Advice to Management

Upper management is the smartest group that the world has ever known. They can solve every problem perfectly and if you are wise you will learn why you are so wrong all the time. Their cup is full, there is nothing to tell them.

"Stuck in a "work around" culture. Systems are only for show."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Pall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to show off your PhD.

Cons

You don't have a PhD? comeback when you have one or promotions don't happen

Advice to Management

Sales plans are meant to be followed and based on reality. Do more active selling instead of baby sitting accounts.

"Laid me off the week after I bought a house"

Former Employee - Operator in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Operator in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Pall full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing about this company that I would recommend to anybody. About the only good thing about this company is the insurance

Cons

Treat the workers like slaves, Mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays. We had to work while the management team did not.

Advice to Management

Treat unto others as you would yourself

"Absolutely horrendous experience"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Port Washington, NY

I worked at Pall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The winter break. My manager tried to tell me that I wasn't eligible for the winter break during my first year, but when I got HR involved, my manager was not happy that I told on them. Nonetheless, I got the winter break off. You're allowed to wear jeans to work but you will be frowned upon.

Cons

Lack of career opportunities and no training. No pay raise for 2 years straight, and 1 week salary for bonus. You will be worked to death in OT while managers and higher ups go home at 5pm.

Advice to Management

You need to concentrate on promoting and training your internal people instead of paying for outside consultants that are killing bottom line profits. "One Pall" is a joke because everyone is an information hoarder, just to keep their jobs. "Google is your best friend" was the answer I got when inquiring about job training. "Ask questions if you want to learn" but everyone is always too busy to stop and provide answers. I have never worked in a more politically charged and stressful work environment. I felt the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders when I walked through the exit doors for the last time. Leaving Pall was the best career move I have ever made. I see this company imploding from within in the near future. If management did a satisfaction survey of current employees, Pall would fail miserably!

"Disaster. Stay away, far away"

I worked at Pall full-time

Pros

Good pay, adequate benefits. Corporate Compliance and Ethics are taken seriously, albeit to an extreme that makes management hesitant to take calculated risk

Cons

A real blame culture. Cut throat politics Lots of turnover in leadership. No strategy that is clear to the employees. Values are written but not demonstrated. Very little leadership development, ergo not the best people leaders. People have no voice, so they use the Ethics Hotline to make complaints about their issues and get attention. Corporate makes most of the decisions. Creates a fox hole mentality at the local level, where no one wants to make decisions or rock the boat. Top leadership (especially Larry Kingsley) is not visible to employees and there is no strong communication strategy to help the employees understand the business strategy and what they do to contribute to the success of the Company. No support or clear direction from leadership. No coaching, just fingerpointing. Worst company I every worked for.

Advice to Management

Sorry, but I do not believe this Company, under it's current leadership, would listen or take heed to any advice. There has been lots of work done to make the Company more profitable in the short term, but it needs to invest in it's people, starting with better people leaders, to really take the Company to the next level.

"Purgatory (You can only go up from here.)"

I worked at Pall full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best reasons to work for this company are:
    1. Decent paid time off (personal days, holidays, shut down periods, etc.)
    2. Any other job you take AFTER this one ought to seem like a breezy paradise by comparison.
    3. The guy or girl in the cube or workstation next to you is probably cool.

Cons

The top challenges faced while working here are:

1. Management: Management seems to think employees are stupid. They spend so much time and money recruiting and interviewing, only to treat employees like incompetent morons who have to be told what to do and how to do it. Management seems terrified of risk, so they tend to micromanage workers, which slaughters efficiency and innovation. Management asks you to do tasks that they wouldn't bother to do themselves. One particular high-level manager has the supremely annoying habit of coming around at the end of tasks or projects and criticizing them, demanding they be reworked, often for minor cosmetic things. Reworks never made the work BETTER. They just added time to do things that ultimately, no one cared about anyway.

Management DOES NOT care about your experience. If you think you're going to start out at position X here and work your way up to management in ten or fifteen years, you are so, SO wrong. Managers are brought in from outside, which should tell you a lot right there. If your goal is to be an executive at Pall, DON'T WORK THERE! You'll ruin your chances.

2. Workload: People are doing the work of three or four, probably because others are leaving in droves. Your priorities will change by the hour. Try managing your own time effectively when a manager whips you back and forth between whatever he feels your top three priorities should be! Your manager will be displeased that you didn't get a majority of your projects done each year, and the constant fire-fighting and insane workload will not be a valid excuse.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves!

"Not a good place to work. They treat people very poorly and have no respect for employees."

I worked at Pall full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a large / profitable company. some of the employees were good to work with . The atmosphere when I was first hired was pleasant, they even had music piped in throughout the site.

Cons

Upper management was ruthless. Several key leaders of the Life Sciences group were especially bad. I have seen them publicly attack and humiliate certain employees that the singled out. Two people had to seek medical attention due to stress.

Advice to Management

Treat others as you would like to be treated.