Palm Beach Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

Palm Beach Community College Reviews

4.1
CEO

1. "credit Mathematics adjunct"

Former Employee - Adjunct Mathematics in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Adjunct Mathematics in New York, NY

I worked at Palm Beach Community College (More than 10 years)

Pros

I tutored students for free. I had great relationships and I love teaching. I taught 25 years in N.Y.C. I have a Master's equivalent in Mathematics and a Master's in Therapeutic Education.

Cons

Unfortunately, some of the students graduating from high schools in Florida are not equipped with the basics to qualify for Intermediate Algebra and their High School teachers allowed them to use calculators, which I did not.

Advice to Management

They should be mandated to attend the Mathematics lab to learn the basics in Mathematics and Algebra.
    I was told by another adjunct that the failure rate was 80 per cent.

2. "Great place for part-time work or a summer job."

Former Employee - Tutor in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Boca Raton, FL

Pros

Great work environment, easy work. You get to help students. Most of the people are helpful. You get to learn how to use the media and tools that are used in a variety of classes. By troubleshooting some problems for teachers or students, you get to learn a few things as well. There's great satisfaction in knowing you taught someone something that he or she needed help on.

Cons

Some students are just plain lazy. They will ask you to do their assignment for them instead of helping them learn the material. You must explain to them this will not do them any good in class or in life. Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't.

Advice to Management

None, I felt they did their job in a satisfactory manner.

3. "Highly bureaucratic conservative leadership that is change-aversive"

Current Employee - Mid-Level in Lake Worth, FL
    Current Employee - Mid-Level in Lake Worth, FL

Pros

It's what it is and has a monopoly.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, aged, and highly conservative and leadership that is highly aversive to institutional advancement and any changes. They typically give no authority to actually do jobs but micromanage, or else don't micromanage and then kill advancement because it requires change.

Advice to Management

Retire?