Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Sharon R Bock

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I love working here-not your typical government agency-forward thinking, technology driven & committed to our citizens"

Current Employee - Leader in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Leader in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Caring and committed employees who help the citizens of palm beach county every day. Also, we believe in our community and giving back!

Cons

This organization is truly committed to its customers. I have nothing negative to say. It takes a special person to want to serve the public.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and let's continue to grow our own great leaders!!

2. "You can do better (Avoid this place)"

Former Employee - Clerk in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Clerk in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, pension, sick time, vacation time

Cons

Upper Management is a group of very unprofessional, mean, vindictive people. Borderline abusive unless you are in their clique. They tell their employees there no funds for increases, meanwhile secretly giving themselves raises. They just want people who will follow orders without question. Not allowed to have an original thought.

Advice to Management

Go back to management school and learn how to treat people like you would like to be treated. Your decisions affect your workers lives, family’s and mental health.

"Manager"

I have been working at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time

Pros

The benefits are great and pay is decent for a government job.

Cons

TERRIBLE upper management! They are clueless and have a HUGE ego. Management does not know what is happening in each department and if something wrong comes up, they will not take ownership and belittle staff. I am actively seeking other employment......STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect. Executive management could benefit on a course that teaches professionalism, class, and how to dress appropriately.

4. "Offers never materialized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seemed like a Great place to work

Cons

Made offers that they were willing to follow through and provide

Advice to Management

Follow through on promises

5. "They need to do better."

Former Employee - Court Specialist III in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Court Specialist III in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the foreclosure department. Great hours. Great benefits. Constant workload

Cons

The "long timer" people in the department sucked. They are OLD and unfriendly and don't like the younger generation employees. The work becomes repetitive with not many changes from day to day which can get boring. They haven't given raises in eight years and the pay is already low to start. Court spec I - 12.00 II -13.00 III -15.15 IV-17.00. The building has a huge rat problem

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees

6. "Unprofessional, Sophomoric, Can be Downright Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Court Clerk
    Former Employee - Court Clerk

I worked at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can only say there are a few employees who've been there for years that are knowledgable, professional, and make the place palatable. Those are the gems who helped to drown put the negativity. Soon they will all retire and the place will be complete hell.

Cons

Court management system is terrible and complicated. There are many better ones. It's quicker to shorthand and docket later. Mgmt. in T & M were not the norm. They talk about employees to other employees about personal things in their semi-enclosed offices and you can hear everything. The Mgr. is called a shark behind her back mybtrainer said on day one. It's true. She glides through the office with her fangs out gunning for people. Mgr. 2 has this fake smile plastered on her face and delivers the discipline while still smiling like she is going to eat you. Super unpleasant. The office mgr. has her clique of favored employees she brings into a semi-enclosed office and trashes other employees with. Unbelievably unprofessional. And she twists your words trying to make issues where none exist. A pot-stirrer. I was shocked to see women coming to work in clubwear and stilletto shoes, employees wearing headphones and singing out loud with no care for anybody around them, and I watched in disbelief as an employee (in a criminal court support office) dispensing prescription medication to someone it wasn't meant for. Crazy.

Advice to Management

Hang onto your job here because this organization is unprofessional (lots of ebonics, foul language, inappropriate clothing, clerks chomping gum in the courtroom, eating in the courtroom) and I don't see you fitting into any decent organization where people are required to be respectful, tactful, and kind. This felt like an amateurish high school project. You don't care about actual knowledge, just production. Someone like me comes with experience. The way they run this organization, no experience is needed. Management does not seem to like it if you actually know anything because then they can't lead you around by the nose. A former coworker from another Clerks Office worked there just before me and was treated poorly, too. It's not me. It's you.

7. "High potential but low funding"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting important government work. Nice location downtown. Some good coworkers. Professional atmosphere. Hard work and long hours for government but rewarding.

Cons

Erratic funding leads to salary freezes and layoffs and inability of current leadership to treat people fairly. More take than give, no stability, paranoid environment. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Find other funding sources, retire, let someone with more compassion run this important office

8. "Worst place to work. Stay far away"

I have been working at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller (More than 3 years)

Pros

You may meet a few genuine good people. There is nothing good working for this company. Maybe the benefits and legal holidays off.

Cons

The management here is terrible. Especially in the felony department. This organization treats grown adults like toddlers. Too much micromanaging with no pay raises. No incentives. Staff are not treated with appreciation. Management will publicly reprimand you in front of all coworkers. The managers here are barely qualified to be managers. You'll have a manager that was a former personal trainer with absolutely no business running a department in this organization.

9. "Best place I ever work so far! - I had some great jobs too!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This organization is amazing. I came here skeptical because of the Glassdoor reviews. I don’t know what happened in the past but my experience has been nothing less than great. I actively seek to understand what the past reviews were about. The moment I got there I was welcomed with a welcome party. We are all one big family. Everyone introduced themselves and looked genuinely happy to be there. You can’t fake this. My CIO is a white haired guy who is like the grandpa who is happy to teach you everything he knows. He reminds me of “John "Hannibal" Smith” from The A-Team, because the guy knows so much, trust his staff, and is not afraid to make his staff’s ideas welcomed. He treats all of his staff members like proven professionals. He is an expert in ITIL and an ITIL instructor so selfless-service runs in his blood. My department director is an Esquire who reminds me of Olivia Mansfield – 007’s boss “M” because of her knowledge of the organization and her sincere concern of the staff and the county. Her integrity is beyond reproach and she is truly the best person for this roll.
    The IT helpdesk- They are an amazing bunch. I felt like they were striving for some type of record in quality or time. The customer service is the best I ever experienced. They treated me like a million-dollar customer. They responded to me within 15 minutes or so. Don’t know how & I don’t know why but these guys were able to have my computer, phone, email, apps configured and ready the same day I got there. AND I got 2 huge 21 inch monitors with a super-fast PC.
    The Project Management Office- Like I said, “Mum” really-really cares for us, the organization and the county. They have adopted a culture that is similar to Google and Zappos, take care of the organization and they will take care of the customers. Our leadership brings true meaning to our work. She genuinely cares about the growth of all of us, the staff and the county. She has the highest of integrity and it I such a pleasure working for her. My teammates are great too. The Senior PM treats us as equals. She enjoys an opportunity to learn from others. She only cares to make sure we are all a great organization. She puts in the extra hours that helps us become a world class service.
    I can go on all day long about the several departments, Don’s restaurant on the 1st floor, the diligent security guards, the clean facilities, but the truth is- I feel like I belong here. I can grow here. If you are not about this culture and are a cut through professional that only wants to chase a dollar, this is not for you. This organization is for people that want to contribute to a great community. Everyone here is happy- you can’t fake this. You see it in their work and in their gratitude towards one-another. When you are in the business of serving, it is important that you take pride in doing just that. The pay is less than market rate but for the benefits and for the team we work with, the value is far more worth it. The days feel shorter and the work seems easier because we are working in an environment that caters to that most deep inner need to serve others. Prior military, nurses, doctors, law enforcement, teachers, etc – this is for you. This group has been amazing to me and I look forward to learning and contributing every day that I am here.

Cons

Pay is not market rate yet so it may scare off sincere talent that could bring great value. The trade-off is that the company invests a lot more in the employees and the Florida Retirement Program, so this is a stretch because I had to find something.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The staff loves you!

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Palm Beach County Clerk & Comptroller full-time

Pros

work life balance, location, health benefits, paid time off, retirement plan

Cons

nature of work can be stressful sometimes