Palmdale School District Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Account Clerk"

Current Employee - Account Clerk in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Clerk in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Palmdale School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Variety of work, good hours, quality people to work with, helping in some ways to improve the District which in turn improves the School sites which trickles down to helping the students.

Cons

Once you have reached the fifth step of your pay grade your salary is frozen unless there is a cost of living pay increase. Little opportunity to work overtime.

Advice to Management

Don't forget that behind the scenes we are coordinating and getting things done to make your jobs easier.

2. "Starting my 9th year with PSD"

I have been working at Palmdale School District part-time

Pros

Palmdale School District offers great flexibility for substitutes. Work when you need to/want to, take time off when you need/want to. You can also choose which schools you want to work at.

This job is great for women with Bachelor's degrees who are re-entering the workforce after being at home with kids, and pays well for a part-time job. Requires passing the CBEST. Some substitutes with full credentials eventually get hired as full-time teachers.

Cons

Health benefits are offered to part-time employees, but for the most part, they are cost-prohibitive. No curriculum or tech training is offered to substitutes as far as I am aware. Subs were on their own when the new math curriculum, Engage NY, was introduced last year, and figuring out how to use a Smart Board presents a different learning curve in each classroom.

Student behavior and academic achievement varies widely depending on the school. Certain schools' students are simply unmanageable for all but the most experienced and hard-boiled subs, and administrative support at these schools varies as well.

Advice to Management

Consider offering a few training seminars each school year to help substitutes do their job more effectively.

3. "Instructional assistant"

Current Employee - Instructional Assistant in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Assistant in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Palmdale School District part-time

Pros

I like working as an instructional assistant, helping students achieve their academic goals. This position is good to get knowledge in the field, and moving on to something better.

Cons

No benefit. You only work part-time and you don't work during summer

5. "Educator"

Current Employee - Teacher in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Palmdale School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent work schedule, provides training/conferences for employees.

Cons

Needs improvement in budgeting and planning.

Advice to Management

Do more team building activities during and outside of work.

6. "Not bad, could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Palmdale School District (More than a year)

Pros

Nice breaks during the summer, good continuing education programs.

Cons

hesitant to offer benefits to most classified employees, high turnover rate in special education. slow on budget issues.

Advice to Management

Offer fulltime hours to decrease turnover ratio. High turnover rate slows down quality of work because of constant training of new employees.

"Great for Substitutes"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Palmdale School District part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Automated call system and online access to jobs through subfinder.
    Pay is comparable to pay in areas of LA County with a higher cost of living.
    The district covers K-8, with many schools within a relatively small geographical boundary.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

The hourly pay seems to be decreasing, which is the case for pretty much all subs in LA County.

Advice to Management

Train secretaries on how to interact with subs and make sure ahead of time that 1) subs have a handout with Bell Schedule, including grade level transitions such as lunch, recess, and snack time, 2)That there is a working clock in the classroom the sub will be in , and 3) That subs are given keys that can open the classroom where they will be, and 4) Correct start time errors on the job description. Perhaps the time to start posted on subfinder should be the time the first bell rings , with instructions on how many minutes to arrive before that time as a standard practice across the schools. Also, all schools should be in session for the same length of time across the district.

8. "I enjoyed amazing opportunities to affect the discussions of the 3 types of information with my students and colleagues:"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Palmdale School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There were those who had the best of intentions to offer a learning environment to students that explained the universe correctly... there is truly only 3 types of info: OPINIONS-- no evidence is required, in the context of how this is normally displayed...this is how I FEEL!!! type 2 info = FACTS -- are so declared as such due to substantial, verifiable, sane evidence that is acceptable to the greater number of experienced adult participants...finally, the most important form of info: TRUTH = those statements and laws based on absolutes, e.g., gravity-- if u jump out a third story window, under normal physics laws, u will always fall down to earth or some form of material strong enough to stop ur movement... soooo, my compensation was excellent, the culture was below my standards, and in the last 2 years of the 9 years I worked there, the leadership was unaware or in rejection of the difference between the above listed 3 types of info, and the importance of making all participants understand how these relate to a responsible, free society that grants liberty and opportunity to all its citizens!!!

Cons

Public education in California, and in most states of the USA, has lapsed since 1962, into a constantly lower level of success, which reversed what occurred in the previous 100 years or so... I believe an ever increasing number of teachers settle for very low expectations for themselves, and for their students, and report to parents and frequently disinterested admin people that all is well, or we are doing are best with new efforts each school year... what is needed is a heavy emphasis on truth coupled with a very positive belief that the MANUFACTURER sent each of us here at this time to create a better environment for those who will replace us in the future... I believe truth and positive, competitive motivation is the inspiration necessary to encourage all students and faculty to rise to the challenge and win... The Manufacturer equipped all of us with the elements to WIN IN A BIG WAY!!!

Advice to Management

that would be the BOARD OF EDUCATION, and who the voters elect, and why??? Once successful participants take their required responsibility to lead with dedication to truth and positive, creative, motivational leadership, they will find that the learners will turn into very successful leaders!!!

9. "instructional assistant"

Pros

great place to work with kids

Cons

need better communication with staff

10. "Awesome!"

Pros

Staff seems to be friendly

Cons

Wait time for testing too long

11. "too political"

Pros

salary and benefits were good

Cons

too much infighting between departments, no respect for hr people or other departments, employees were very miserable and unhappy and very negative