Palmetto Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Chuck Beaman Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits package as well as great hours daily" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great place to work and awesome coworkers" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Nurse to patient ratio, staffing needs, no raises or bonuses" (in 8 reviews)

• "Upper Management doesnt care about the people who do the "REAL" work" (in 8 reviews)

"Palmetto Health was a great company to work for. They showed appreciation to their employees"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Columbia, SC

I worked at Palmetto Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great working experience for skills

Cons

Depends on your direct manager

2. "Therapy"

I worked at Palmetto Health full-time

Pros

Great team to work with. Flexible time off, PTO.

Cons

The corporation as a whole does not treat the "little people" with the same amount of respect that they treat management.

3. "Referral Specialist"

Current Employee - Referral Specialist in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Referral Specialist in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Palmetto Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full time, Great Benefits, Medical Field

Cons

No raise, heavy work load

Advice to Management

Not likely

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Columbia, SC

I worked at Palmetto Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I spent almost a decade at PH, and loved it the whole time. I had excellent managers for most of my tenure, and made many life long friends while there. Coworkers were like family and looked out for each other. I was in a non-clinical, technical role and every level of management was very open and honest with us and I think had our best interest at heart. The commitment of the organization to patient care is second to none, and as both a former employee and client (both my children were born in PH facilities), I could see the care and compassion on a regular basis. The work was challenging and rewarding, the benefits decent, and the work/life balance very on point. I'd highly recommend working there if you have the chance, you'll love it.

Cons

The required, annual "feel good, love for all" training we had my last few years there could sometimes be a little over the top, but the focus was on putting others first and patient care so it was definitely relevant.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing, and keep PH (and now Greenville) being top-tier providers in this market.

"Looking for a challenge"

I have been working at Palmetto Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible with work life balance.
    Surrounded by awesome team members.
    Various projects breaks mundane tasks.

Cons

Limited on external training opportunities.
    Can get too busy at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to invest in employees.

"Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Palmetto Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities abound, as it's a large health system.

Cons

Concerned with the almighty dollar and not keeping employees happy. Way too heavy on upper management!

Advice to Management

Consider that cost of living is increasing. Salaries are not. You can't keep piling on people and not give them a reason to stay.

"NOT NURSE FRIENDLY"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Columbia, SC

I worked at Palmetto Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, able to use insurance w/in Palmetto health easily. Great coworkers/teamwork(when schedule is correct) Our manager is GREAT.

Cons

Upper Management doesnt care about the people who do the "REAL" work. NO Raises. Short staffed. Staff who undermind their managers/charge people.

Advice to Management

Be more attuned to your employees instead of being "the Bosses" who are dreaded. Be someone your employees can be proud of to work for..like Bill Ivey was.

"Don't Waste Your Talents Here"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Columbia, SC

I worked at Palmetto Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I used to work in Finance. Here are my takes on Palmetto Health:

- Nice work-life balance - more often than not, if I cleared out all of my work and it was within reason.

- Teamwork tends to be good of members of the same department.

- The patient comes first and the floor personnel have a good attitude and work hard together to provide the best care to them they can with the given equipment situation.

Cons

- Very poor management quality. Management seems to be promoted or put into positions based on nepotism and cronyism rather than through merit. There are some rare shining stars in management but most others seem either disconnected, mediocre, or just plain inept, the latter of which was the case for me in my department in the case of my own leadership. This was my number one reason for leaving the company.

- Pay for support roles outside of management is non-competitive. If you're one or two years out of school, it is acceptable, but you'll realize you'll be paid a lot more in either a different industry or something right up the street. Benefits are pretty poor as well.

- Chronic staffing shortages.

- Poor accountability and culture. It seems like there was once a strong culture, but that has since faded. My time there felt like many people involved in a non-stop political power struggle between departments and operational units.

Advice to Management

The culture of this place needs to be either replaced or set back on the right path; what is going on there right now will only lead more talented prospective and current individuals to either reject an opportunity here or seek a better one elsewhere.

I went into post-bachelor's education for healthcare, and this was my first job. After my experience, I am no longer in healthcare and this company has ruined my desire to return anywhere in the near future.

"Not the place it used to be!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Palmetto Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits. Some of my coworkers are wonderful.

Cons

I have worked here for over 15 years. I have received several awards and recognition. I state this to exhibit that I am not one of those types that under perform and then wants to complain. So, in the last 3 years Palmetto Health has started to be more concerned about image rather than the reality that staff are over worked, under paid and under appreciated. Concerns are not being addressed and even being covered up. Every week it seems that upper management is more concerned about themselves not the patients. HR does not stand protect the employees, but rather the company. There are some unfair/ridiculous policies in place. Lateral violence is at an all time high while morale across all campuses is at an all time low. PH preaches a good Vision and Mission Statement, but it’s not practiced anymore. It’s all legal-speak and self preservation these days. I have worked overtime, volunteered and gone out of my way to be flexible and accommodating, now only to realize it was never really appreciated. I am so disappointed with this place that I and several of my coworkers are looking for career opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Review, revise and delete several of your HR policies.

"Palmetto Health needs to be more competitive in pay"

Former Employee - Laboratory Assistant
    Former Employee - Laboratory Assistant

I worked at Palmetto Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO every 40 hours equal 8 hours of PTO, card access to food between the different campus, health benefits free within the network

Cons

Low Pay, Advancement is difficult, Management skills of some departments