Palo Alto Networks Corporate Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 17, 2019

1.2
Palo Alto Networks Chief Executive Officer Nikesh Arora
Nikesh Arora

"Palo Alto Networks Business Model Change"

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Plano, TX

I worked at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Palo Alto Networks is an established company with a tremendous amount of respect in the industry.

Cons

Once an innovator and creator of the NGFW space PANW are now executing on a serial acquirer go to market strategy which reminds me of Google and Alphabet. Some may see this a positive for topline growth but it is a challenging environment to adapt to as a seller.

Palo Alto Networks2019-09-19

"Dishonest management"

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Approval of products among customers

Cons

Politics, intrigues, no transparency. Promotions, structural improvements, raises etc. are regularly dangled in front of sales people's eyes and then just dropped. That's management's way of trying to keep employees happy but since very few things ever come true, this leads to disappointment and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Become honest and transparent

Palo Alto Networks2019-11-17

"Palo Alto Nowork"

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Representative in Singapore

I worked at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company outside the team I was in is fantastic. Great vision and excellent benefits. Opportunity for growth if you are in the right place and have the right leadership.

Cons

Inside Sales in Singapore is the worst department I have ever been a part of. I regularly had no work to do, and was often and always shut down when I tried to add value with new ideas. The team of csrs and bdrs adds absolutely no value to the business and does not create any revenue. They are merely appointment setters and admin specialists that are paid like sales professionals. The inside sales management is biased and does not like anyone that stands up and thinks differently. I have seen new employees bullied into leaving for thinking outside the square or being racially different. This could have been a world class team with world class talent, except not one single person in the history of the team over the past 5 years has been promoted outside of the team to date (2019). This shows a lack of career path and a complete lack of development. The managers themselves have not been developed by their own director and it shows through the lack of direction and change within the team.

Advice to Management

Get rid of everyone apart from renewals as they carry a quota, and their team is happy under their management. Let them upsell and cross sell into their accounts.

Palo Alto Networks2019-05-22

"Toxic place to work"

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are in the right territory, you will earn good money and you don´t have to work a lot. The product is actually good.

Cons

Almost no one works. It´s a inside sales environment but you rarely hear anyone call customers. It´s an overlay position, so you will earn commission without doing anything. Management lies permanently and they really don´t care about anything. They always promise they help, and even tell you that you should ask for help; but if you do, nothing will happen - guaranteed. 2 month in the new fiscal year and still no one received commission plans: meaning no one knows how we will get paid. So we will get the targets after the quarter is over. is that even legal? You can trust absolutely no one. Unless it´s on paper, it never happened. Most employees are completely unskilled and have no clue how to actually work. Frustrating for people who actually want to achieve something. Perfect for lazy unskilled people who want to surf facebook/youtube the whole day.

Advice to Management

Fire the whole inside sales management team.

Palo Alto Networks2018-10-04

"No career path"

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay well according to the market with no kept commission

Cons

No career path and bad planning with a lot of bad politics, decision making process can be confusing and late, really bad management with micromanagement style result to have trust issue and but atmosphere

Advice to Management

Please try to support your employ and involve them when comes to planning and take the company review seriously!

Palo Alto Networks2018-07-08

"Sales Sausage Machine"

Corporate Sales Representative in Apac

I worked at Palo Alto Networks

Pros

Some really interesting technology, although the competition is combating it more effectively these days. It pays well until your split out of existence.

Cons

Middle sales Management manage up and not down.

Advice to Management

Mark McLaughlan said it all in the latest earnings report, "In drilling into why, our initial analysis is that we over complicated our go-to-market motion with a lot more territory splits and segmentation than we have done in the past. This appears to have been too much too fast as we changed the coverage model for many customer relationships, resulting in lower productivity and less accuracy in forecasting". This is something the sales teams have been telling management for at least the last 2 years. It has resulted in larger sale staff turn over in some regions where successful reps were repeatedly split until they fundamentally became unsuccessful reps. Middle management would then respond to protect their position by actively moving these reps out of the business. This then resulted in the business getting a "name" for itself from those that were security services trained. This then resulted in people from the security industry becoming naturally shy about joining the business, resulting in a new breed of security challenged reps - and as any security person knows, they like to talk to those that know what their talking about ! This has then resulted in an overload of workload to the system engineers requiring an inefficient 1:1 rep to engineer model, which in turn adds unsustainable cost. Couple that with, a naturally concerned for their job, over aggressive sales rep that is challenged to make their number and you create an environment of channel disrespect and mutual distrust - ONLY by successful channel execution can you successfully scale !

Palo Alto Networks2017-03-28