Palo Alto Networks Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 25, 2019

3.1
Palo Alto Networks Chief Executive Officer Nikesh Arora
Nikesh Arora

"Fantastic company to work for!"

Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful company, culture and leadership. From the very first day, I have met amazing and positive team members who are ready to help and support you at any given opportunity. The energy amongst this fast growing team is contagious. I'm happy to be a part of the Palo Alto Networks team.

Cons

I can't think of any at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work of empowering your employees with the abundant training and tools that are easily accessible to them.

Palo Alto Networks2017-07-28

"New management, lots of changes"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Successful position in cybersecurity, seemingly great reputation in the industry in a rapidly growing and competitive space. Over 60,000 customers. Nice RSU & bi-annual (pay for performance) bonuses.

Cons

In the last year, new management has changed and the corporate culture is much more competitive vs. collaborative, with "silos" working independently. Very little opportunity to advance, esp. with senior management bringing in former employees, so not much chance for promotions. Salary increases are now rare, with last year only a "standard of living increase." Unless you are at the top of the "bell curve," it's nearly impossible to receive much of an increase.

Advice to Management

Listen and respond to employee surveys, re: improving collaboration company-wide. Promote teamwork vs. silos. Find ways to recognize great work done "in the trenches." Always put the customer first.

Palo Alto Networks2019-08-05

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Most people really like the company and believe in the mission (Go Palo Alto Networks!) - Super nice and brand new HQ campus in Santa Clara with cafeteria, gym, juice bar, coffee house, etc - Definitely going places in the stock market - Industry leading/cutting edge product

Cons

- Too much cronyism - Most upper management in Marketing go wayyyy back, and it shows - The "disappearing act" - you'll just never see coworkers again and it won't be acknowledged - If they don't like you, you won't get fired, you will just be given 0 recognition, 0 bonuses, and talked bad about until you leave (even if you work 80 hour weeks)

Advice to Management

Grow some balls and fire people you don't like. Don't hire your children... The CMO's SON WORKS IN THE SAME DEPARTMENT???

Palo Alto Networks2019-05-29
  4. "Director, Field Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company position in industry. Company culture and values. Leadership team reputation. Great first and lasting impression.

Cons

A lot of great candidates and not enough requisitions to go around.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and be the security industry inflection point.

Palo Alto Networks2017-07-27

"Marketing Team on Steady Decline"

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great products that really do protect customers better than others - Competitive compensation package (salary, variable incentive bonus, RSUs, etc.) - Really interesting security technology innovations - New buildings and offices, plenty of snacks and such

Cons

- Ever since the former SVP of marketing was transplanted from HP to PANW, the entire product/solutions/industry team has been on a steady decline. This SVP recently resigned, but the effects are still there. Things are a bit chaotic at the moment. - No real room to advance. The entire marketing organization is really "flat" and in the past few years, I have only seen a handful of promotions from within. So if you're happy staying in your current role for many years, then this is the place for you. If you're looking to move up the ladder, then you'll have to do it at a different company. - As the company has grown, the culture has deteriorated in the marketing organization. It has gone from "we default to yes" to "this is my turf, stay off..." and "this is how we do things here..." - Lateral movements within the marketing organization do happen, but I've found it to get more lip service than actual encouragement. - The CMO's motto used to be "we only hire superstars," but frankly, I've seen a few new hires that have been nothing but a poison pill in the team (granted, they came onboard during the tenure of the former SVP) - Outside of the CMO's quarterly recognition for 5 high-performing employees, there's typically very little in terms of recognition from any of the managers/leaders, at least on the product/solutions/industries side.

Advice to Management

- The marketing team's culture is on a decline. Find out which of the people that you recently hired are poisoning the well and remove them. This used to be a great organization to work at, but I can't recommend it to anyone in good conscience. - Give more frequent recognition to your people who work their hearts out day after day. - Be more open to really facilitating your teams' career growth objectives. Encourage it for real, openly, publicly, and intentionally. Then back it up with real action. - Promote from within first, then look to hiring from outside. There should be no job opening that hasn't been offered to everyone inside the organization first. - Don't just hire another outside SVP for the solutions/products/industries team. There are plenty of highly qualified people on that team already. Let one of them step up!

Palo Alto Networks2017-05-14

"Great place with good people"

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company still has a small company mentality. Believes in empowering employees to do the right thing. Gives you decision making power in your day to day job. People are great, not a lot of politics in the group I'm in. You work hard, but the time flies by as it's not political.

Cons

As company grows, the culture is slowly changing.

Palo Alto Networks2016-10-17

"Palo Alto Networks Marketing - Best Job - Ever"

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredibly fast paced environment. Real empowerment. Meaningful work. Feel like I am really in charge of my area. Great boss. The marketing team really feels like you are on rocket ship going somewhere very amazing. Can't say enough about how much better this is than all of the other companies that I have worked for. Really special.

Cons

Incredibly fast paced environment. Real empowerment. But it's up to you to figure out what you need to do. Some people don't seem to be able to do that and they don't last very long. Company is growing so fast that sometimes the processes and support don't keep up.

Advice to Management

Needs to continue to invest in processes for the marketing department that help the whole team to scale as a team. Otherwise please keep trusting us as the best professionals in the industry to get the job done.

Palo Alto Networks2015-11-30

"Marketing Organization"

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is innovative and growing quickly. Our CEO is seriously awesome.

Cons

Toxic culture within marketing. I've been told that it is not exclusive to marketing, however I can't speak for the company as a whole. There is high turnover, and it appears from other reviews that I am not the first (and likely won't be the last) to reflect on the toxic culture within the marketing organization. It truly is a condition that exists from the top down.

Advice to Management

When you have 10 people leave within a matter of weeks, you should take the hint. The high turnover should speak for itself, especially when people are leaving after 7 or 9 months when vesting is around the corner and your compensation is so RSU heavy. Many people in leadership/management roles are walking HR violations.

Palo Alto Networks2015-11-25

"Opportunity knocks"

Marketing Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Palo Alto Networks

Pros

Because it is a small company one is able to wear many hats and communicate with several teams. The teams there are willing to help and work together to get the job done. Everyone is there to work hard which is great for someone who is willing to hit the ground running.

Cons

Working for a small company always proves to be very busy, and have some interesting road blocks. Be ready to get your creative hat on and be very budget conscious.

Advice to Management

For top level management, VP's and above there needs to be better communication from the top down.

Palo Alto Networks2009-02-10

"frustrating at times"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Palo Alto Networks full-time

Pros

compensation is high compared to others

Cons

disorganised from the top down

Palo Alto Networks2019-11-25