Palolo Chinese Home Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Clerk, Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Palolo Chinese Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CEO is willing to teach. But there's times that she's very pushy on what she wants to be done.

Cons

Raises are very poor, lack of management training available, CEO is in micro management, only cares on other manager who's close or she likes.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone as equal whether they are local, Chinese or Japanese. Or whether who got the degree or not-should get paid equal by the work that they're responsible for.
    Learn to listen on both sides story, rather than listening to a one side.

2. "Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Palolo Chinese Home full-time

Pros

Most of the residents have been living at Palolo for a long time, so you really get to know them and their family members
    The Brighton staff that provides occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech therapy were really great to work with

Cons

Pay for RNs start at $22/hr. DON has a habit of prolonging performance reviews and delaying pay raises.
    RN was responsible for 20-22 residents with inadequate CNA staff for support
    DON refused to address lack of staffing and would mandate OT overworking staff
    Morale always low

Advice to Management

Address the staffing issue and create more incentive to get staff nurses to stay (Pay, career advancements)

"Manager-Senior Day Care"

Former Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Palolo Chinese Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can manage 15 employees in my department, we treat each other like our own families. We loved our seniors!

Cons

It is hard to communicate with your supreme BOSS who is located on 1st floor and I'm located on the ground floor. I can't leave anytime I want because I am counted on the floor when there are more seniors than employees (census). Boss is good when you did something good to the company. If you can't bring up your census (admissions) she will point finger and give stink eye. If you leave the company make sure you used all your unpaid vacations. This company will do their best to find a way to not pay you!! Stinky management, they are all fake and backstabbers.

Advice to Management

Boss should treat everyone fair! This company management didn't changed since from the beginning. So many turn over managers and/or employees.