Palomar Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert A. Hemker

Pros
Cons
  • Too much time and money spent for new hospital (in 4 reviews)

• Pay for full time and part time is too low for medical social workers who also do the discharge planning (in 3 reviews)

1. "I am always happy to go to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

Pros

The patient is our number one priority in the O.R. and the my coworkers make everyday worth while.

Cons

I believe that some of the supervising staff is a little excessive and that some are lacking general O.R. knowledge to be in a supervisor position.

Advice to Management

Make sure people are competent with the general areas of their job before hiring them. I believe that the care of the patient is the number one goal so praise those who do it well!! I love working for this company!

"Abundant opportunities to contribute"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Escondido, CA

Pros

Openness in discussion
    Values clear
    Expectations made known

Cons

Change is constant. One must learn to adjust.

Advice to Management

Continue rounding. It gives an important inside view.

3. "Excellent, forward-thinking health system."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Palomar Health operates a beautiful new hospital in west Escondido, plus Pomerado Hospital and other satellite locations around north county.

Cons

The health care district served by Palomar Health faces stiff competition from hospitals. This can sometimes mean that if census is down, hours get cut.

5. "Great"

Pros

Good pay and bennies, generous PTO

Cons

No advancement and that's about it

6. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great amount of flexibility and the management is heavily invested in its staff. It's great atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Of all the little frustrations that accompany the position there really is little that I could really complain about that wouldn't occur elsewhere. When it comes down to it, there are a few places that pay better, but I hear that we're treated far better. I could move for better pay, but I suspect I'd regret leaving.

Advice to Management

This really is a great place, especially a great department, to work. There are a few things which people complain about, but the great thing is that management is receptive of it and really supportive of their staff.

7. "One of the Best Hospital Internships in SoCal BY FAR"

Pros

Extremely immersive program; interns get involved in direct patient care in state-of-the-art facilities. I have loved working here!

Cons

The commute can sometimes be an issue, seeing as first-time interns can only work on a specific group of floors which generally are all at Palomar Medical Center in Escondido (PMC) but there are still opportunities to get into some of the closer hospitals. Most new interns work at PMC, however.

Advice to Management

It can be a little difficult to contact management at times, but honestly I've only had that issue once or twice in the six months that I've been working here. Managements makes the whole application, induction, and work process fun and easy, which was fantastic.

"Manager"

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time

Pros

This health system has made a lot of positive changes since the new hospital opened in 2012. Lately new leaders and a new CEO have brought new ideas, and a lot of fresh energy. I have seen plenty of people get promoted to leadership positions when it was deserved.

Cons

For those that don't live in North County San Diego, it can be a challenge to get there. Many people commute from Riverside County, or the beach towns.

Advice to Management

We want you to keep listening to your staff, because they are the ones who know what's going on day to day.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time

Pros

Palomar Health is working hard to serve the North County. Many employees are also part of the community served by Palomar Health.

Cons

Because Palomar Health is smaller than some of the competition, it has fewer resources to respond to the changes in healthcare. The care remains very good, but like many other health-systems, there is a struggle to find resources.

Advice to Management

You may need to move some employees out who feel entitled. The remaining employees will better be able to serve the patients.

10. "Best Company"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Escondido, CA

I have been working at Palomar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great people!

Cons

There are absolutely no CONS!

"Best employment experience."

Former Employee - Psych Liaison RN II/Medical Executive Director RN in Escondido, CA

I worked at Palomar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is helpful and supportive regarding individuals professional growth and forward movement within the company.

Cons

This is a dynamic work environment and one needs to keep ahead of the changes to take full advantage of the workplace opportunities.