Pampered Chef Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Pampered Chef CEO Tracy Britt Cool
Tracy Britt Cool

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Generally friendly atmosphere and free products every once in a while (in 17 reviews)

• Great products which make it easier to sell (in 14 reviews)

"Poor Upper Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cannot think of any pros.

Cons

Poorly run by upper management. Total disregard for the legal department as a whole.

"Management"

Pros

Product is still good and people want it, just need to change the business model. Go online more and away from hosting shows.

Cons

Review from April 6th of sinking ship is spot on. Completely agree and sad to see. Fake HR officer and a CEO who is not in it for the long run is not what this company needs in order to change and improve.

Advice to Management

Get leaders in who are real, who care and simply NOT FAKE.

Apr 17, 2017 – Chief People Officer

We are sorry to hear you feel this way. And we'd love to learn more from you because we hope you're the exception and not the norm about what's happening at Pampered Chef.
    We concede that we've... More

"Once a great company"

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

In the end, the pro was being released from the company

Cons

High school mentality. Mean girls club. People being hired for management who knew nothing about the legacy of the company and didn't care to know.

Advice to Management

Get rid of individuals who figured out how to put their faces in print pieces and online. To many tired individuals who do not want to or know how to change with the times.

Feb 28, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Pampered Chef has undergone a tremendous amount of change in the past year and we are continuing to work hard to reinvent the company so we are relevant for the next 35 years. Sorry to hear your... More

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

I have held numerous positions at Pampered Chef and the earlier years were great. When Doris Christopher was completely in charge she knew exactly how to treat employees and it showed. Everyone loved working there. Change in systems, management, and internal layout has taken this once booming company to a sinking ship. Nearly all incentives that were once in place have been removed. Employees use to receive new products, but that was taken away. This made it worthwhile when the company couldn’t afford raises to the employees. At least you were receiving some awesome beautiful products. During the holidays, Doris use to give employees gift cards for food to help families with the holidays. That was taken away. The company is losing sales because of poor technology choices and hiring the wrong upper management and the employees are left to suffer. There was a common saying heard a lot when I worked there. “If it weren’t for the Consultant’s we wouldn’t have a job”. Okay maybe that is true, but if there were no employees at the Home Office the Consultant’s wouldn’t be able to do their jobs. Pampered Chef tries to sell the message of family, togetherness, and making things easier. However, this is something it does not have eternally. I guess for pros I would have to say some of the products, but not all of them.

Cons

Over worked employees, rude nasty mean supervisors and management, no raises, no training, stressful work environment. Pampered Chef has a training department that is there to get rid of you if you do not perform to their expectations. It is NOT a training department. Lots of great dedicated employees have been let go because the training department is set up as a firing department. Often you are told how not to do something and never given directions on how to do something. An example, don’t say this or don’t do that. How about giving positive constructive feedback. To boost morale in the call center the training department treats employees like preschool students. If you are the type of working that likes to be given balloons and plastic keys or have your name on a star hung on the wall, then this place is for you. The rewarding system they have makes those who don’t get a balloon at their desk feel excluded and shameful. It essentially comes down to a person’s opinion on whether your call was good or not. If for any reason the “training” team does not like you. They will purposely fail your calls or give you poor scores so you are fired. If you are a hard worker you won’t go as far in this company as someone who knows how to suck up to management. This speaks for any department. Throughout many departments work is heavy and employees are over worked. You will get very little to no training within a position. Nor will you receive much direction from Management. However, it is still expected of you to do your job even if no one gave you any training on how to do that job. Fasten your seatbelts it is a bumpy ride and if you can’t weather the storm they get rid of you. Lots of great employees with many skills and years have been let go because of poor management. One more thing, be cautious of the good reviews on this site. Management has required employees to go on and give good reviews.

Advice to Management

Pampered Chef a word of advice go back to your roots if you want to turn the place around. Here is an example of an incentive you could easily bring back. Give employees sample products. If I receive a Food Chopper (just using this as an example), and I use it and really like the Food Chopper. I will more than likely buy the product for friends and family, and who knows, maybe someone will host a show. Resulting in sales for Pampered Chef. Provide a positive work environment which encourages a place where employees can be open about what drives and motivates them. Take time to listen to employees concerns and do not punish them for being honest about the work environment.

Nov 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We admit that Pampered Chef has undergone a tremendous amount of change. We are working hard to reinvent the company so we are relevant for the next 35 years. We believe we've put the right strategy... More

"Numbers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of food, on site gym, updated workspace

Cons

Directors and Chief Officers only care about numbers. Employees are EXPECTED to work long hours even if they're salary and there is no job security. I received no warnings before they let me go. NONE. They will use you and toss you to the side. Fake smiles, and false hope.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees. Listen to them. Work with them. They're not cattle.

Nov 26, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We're sorry you felt this way. Respect is one of our core values, and we work hard to treat everyone fairly and with dignity. We are focused on reinventing Pampered Chef so it is relevant for the... More

"Avoid company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Addison, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of food is shared here because it is a cooking company.

Cons

This company is going through a period of a lot of change. The employees speak negatively about working here constantly. The departments are filled with anxiety about being laid off and job security. Managers often seem overwhelmed and ultimately it results in poor work performance.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with the projects and what's going on. Improve project management skills and treat the employees like you value them.

Nov 18, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We appreciate your candor. We’re working hard to reinvent the company so we can stay relevant for the next 35 years. We’re in the early stages, and this is a marathon, but the hard work all of our... More

"Worse place to work for/Titanic hit the iceberg"

Former Employee - Customer Service REp in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service REp in Addison, IL

I worked at Pampered Chef (More than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely none just expected to work chained at your desk with impossible quotas.
    CEO preaching about changes beneficial to all but just concerned about her career

Cons

Incompetent management for years and still has not changed.
    ex: manipulative supervisor showing favoritism who has built a team of only Hispanic representatives using them towards her advantages.

Advice to Management

stop pointing fingers and start rolling up your sleeves and get to work instead of paying yourself doing nothing

Nov 18, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We’re sorry to learn about the feelings you had during your time at Pampered Chef. Respect and Accountability are some of our Core Values: We do our best to treat everyone fairly; we challenge... More

"Never Going to Recover"

Current Employee - Marketing in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at Pampered Chef (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, good benefits, open floor plan works well for collaboration

Cons

Too many Cons to mention. Employees are expected to work too many hours to help this sinking ship. Majority of employees unsure of their future. Great to hire younger talent, but employees who have been there for years have the history and actually have great ideas. Senior Directors and middle-management need a lot of work. Too much back-stabbing going on.

Advice to Management

Relook at the workforce and work loads. Consider scaling back on middle-management, especially those who have been there a while and still not making a difference. Sad that Doris' company is sinking.

Sep 18, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We have definitely made a lot of changes in the past year, and our new culture, environment, and expectations aren't for everyone. We are focused on driving results and delivering a great experience... More

"Sinking Ship"

Pros

30% discount on product; that's about it.

Cons

Management is a joke....CEO is there to build up her resume. HR is non existent. Their motto is to bring in young non-talent individuals to make OLD management look and feel young and fresh. This company is going down hill fast...they have lost good sound employees...sales are down, recruiting is down, yet they spend $5M on renovating the workplace...thumbs up on that decision.

Sep 18, 2016 – Chief People Officer

We’ve begun the hard work of reinventing this company. That requires leadership and making bold decisions. And we haven’t been afraid to do that. We're investing in building a culture based on our... More

"Don't Believe The Hype"

I worked at Pampered Chef full-time

Pros

The products are solid (though overpriced), the Sales Consultants, work-life balance, the story behind the foundation of the company.

Cons

The company is in a free-fall. Experienced talent has been leaving for several years. HR proactively solicits positive reviews from employees to bury the negatives. Pay attention to reviews from employees in Addison. It's a sign of what's going on behind the walls. The company is losing Sales Consultants at an alarming rate, profits are dwindling, and rumors are circling that Berkshire is seeking buyers.

Advice to Management

Position the company for a buyer that wants to save what's left.

Jul 31, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your post. We’re sad you feel this way, but as a former employee, your picture doesn’t sound like it is up to date. 18 months ago, we started a journey to completely transform Pampered... More