Panasas Reviews | Glassdoor

Panasas Reviews

5.0
Faye Pairman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"All of the Benefits and Energy of a Startup, but with the Maturity of an 18-year-old Tech Company"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Panasas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I accepted a full-time Software Engineer position at Panasas in 2014 as I was completing my Ph.D. focused on Solid State Storage and Distributed File Systems. At that time I had simultaneous offers from Amazon, Micron, and Intel, and did substantial research on and spent time with those teams to make the best choice for my first (non-intern) Engineering job. While those larger names made compelling offers and interesting research and development was going on at those places, I decided on Panasas (and my very happily spent 2.5 years since joining have validated this decision) for the following reasons:

1. Work on Things that Matter: I wanted to join a small group or company that had the energy and sense of urgency of a startup; I was wholly disinterested in joining a group that was sailing on a sea of cash in a big company doing nothing of particular import. I want my contributions to both be necessary and impactful, and I have been able to design and deliver software in my role since joining that has had notable impact on our customers.

2. Meritocracy; not Ageitocracy: I desired an environment that rewarded folks based on intellect and contribution, not merely how many years you've spent heating a desk chair wearing a "Software Engineer" badge. Here at Panasas, if you come in and are eager and intelligent you will be recognized and rewarded. Having entered (and maintained) those traits, in the short 2.5 years I've been here I've sought and been given leadership roles on two major projects that are already shaping the company's future. Additionally, I've received promotion to Software Architect, a position that generally is not offered to persons with my (years of) experience in large companies simply because the bean-counters cannot justify it on paper. In short, at Panasas, meritocracy reigns.

3. Mature Software Life-Cycle: I wasn't ready to jump into a full-blown start-up because they tend to lack the development, testing, and product infrastructure to enable me to get both broad and deep experience with a full software life-cycle. Panasas particularly has a rich assortment of testing and simulation tools that have been developed over the last decade that make rapid engineering significantly easier. While imperfect, having started my own company during my Ph.D. I recognize just how powerful the tools we have at our disposal are in terms of maximizing productivity compared to starting from scratch.

4. A Tightly-Knit Team: I wanted to work with a group of engineers and managers you can both dig in and work long hours with to finish a project as well as kick back and have a beer with when it's all said and done. Both of these have occurred and I've made lasting friendships already here.

5. Competitive Compensation: It would be facetious of me to say compensation wasn't on my mind, especially as my first job and having attractive offers from the likes of Intel, Amazon, and Micron. Panasas provided a highly competitive offer, competed (and won) with counter-offers against those companies, and has since stood firm by that commitment to keep me with continuing compensation adjustments.

Cons

Panasas is not a great choice for you if you fall into any of these groups:

1. The Coaster: You expect to join with years of software engineering experience and just coast, committing a thing or two every so often. Just as eagerness and intellect are rapidly rewarded, sloth and ignorance are also recognized and equally rapidly dealt with.

2. Refactor Everything Bro: You cannot cope with a mature software development infrastructure. By "mature" I use both senses of the term. There are definitely some crusty clanks from our 18-year tenure we all would like to change, but they simply don't provide a good value proposition to our small company to do so at this time. One has to have both the capacity to judge the difference and the willpower to work with them despite their rust.

3. The Grass was Greener Guy: You enjoy spending most of your time waxing philosophical about how X, Y, and Z were so much better at Initech where you worked before than they are here. See #2, but if the value-prop is high, we're a place where most of the time you'll get the go-ahead to just go ahead and fix it. If you prefer to just moan about it day after day instead of fixing or coping with it, Panasas is probably not a good fit.

4. The 4-Walled Cuber: You don't like working with people on projects or are aggressively anti-social. While we're all weird (we're Software Engineers for glob's sake) the important thing is that we can collaborate effectively on projects. Don't mistake this for "have lots of meetings" -- that is definitely not our mantra. It means have an effective team meeting once a week and be able to collaborate on pointed issues on a day-to-day basis, rather than building your own wheel, getting and staying stuck on an issue for an entire week without reaching out to another for help, or using your own coding style that differs from everybody "just because." This is a small company and there's a lot of solo work to be done, but the skills to collaborate effectively, especially on the big projects, is crucial.

If you feel you don't fall into any of the above groups (or you're committed to escaping those habits) Panasas will be an awesome place to work. However, I've seen folks who did fall into one or more groups above, and they didn't have a particularly great time.

Advice to Management

We're on a much better track than a few years ago; continue your commitment to the medium- and long-term projects as they are extremely value-rich and Panasas is going to be something truly special in a short time.

"High quality team, products and customers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Panasas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having been here for a year, I am impressed with the high calibre of the dedicated team, the quality of the product as evidenced by the top tier customers that entrust their core assets to the Panasas products, and vision the company has for its future.

Cons

None really to speak of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Good Place to start working"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineering
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineering

I have been working at Panasas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot of things while working in Panasas

Cons

Lot of things to do here, you may not get time to do all of them.

"Promising company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Panasas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best engineers I have worked with. Has a small, but very talented engineering team. Great workplace culture. Offers salary and benefits comparable to some of the larger companies. Although there have been difficult times in the company over the last two years, they managed to turn it around and they are now
    ready to expand their already big customer base.

Cons

Need to hire even more engineers and advertise our product more. We have some big customers people are unaware of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"marketing vp"

Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Panasas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Panasas is a technology leader with a highly differentiated product and an awesome list of the most progressive companies in the world as customers.

Cons

Panasaas is run as a lean organization where trade-offs and priorities are dynamic. The workload can be heavy but satisfying.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on what's important to drive growth and success. Don't get confused by nay-sayers and shiny objects many times referred to as trends.

"Futuristic product with a great market potential and technically sound."

Pros

Product, team work, positivity, creativity, and a brave lot. Must give it a shot. Wide array of Customers and diverse solutions to work on.

Cons

It can get too overwhelming for new hires to catch up with the intricacies of this product, so there is a steep learning curve. More number of resources can propel the product to greater heights.

"Lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Panasas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The thing I like best about Panasas is that there's lots of interesting work going on, and since it's a smaller company, there's a lot of chances to work on a cool project. If you show them that you're good at what you do, they give you lots of slack.

Cons

Lots of projects and a smaller staff means that sometimes things don't get done as well as you want, and you have to split time on more than one thing.

Advice to Management

Do fewer projects at one time and put more people on each project. Hire more people in QA.

8. "Great place to work"

I worked at Panasas full-time

Pros

It was great to be a part of the technical marketing team. There is a lot of great talent at the company.

Cons

The product has to be continuously revamped to keep up with changing trends in the industry and the competition.. It is very distracting when technical / development staff leave.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, more focus needs to be placed on tactical solutions for the short term to increase TAM.

"Great people, great talent - lots of potential"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Panasas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company but there is a lot of talent there, both in the management and executive ranks as well as in the technical roles. I learned a lot and really looked up to the management team.

Cons

Dealing with employee attrition is tricky.. change in market focus is hard to achieve without full engineering buy in.

Advice to Management

I don't have a crystal ball, but I would suggest putting more focus on the tactical short term product roadmap to really go after new markets rather than longer term stuff that won't benefit for some years.

"Established product and company looking to take the next step"

I have been working at Panasas full-time

Pros

The product is complex and established so you benefit from having a legitimate, working (revenue generating) product. There are several areas where you can step up and become an expert. The Engineering teams are small and have a good mix of experience. The company has also invested heavily in going after new markets this year based on the existing product while the Engineering teams work on the next generation products. Overall, there is a much better "spirit" in the company than past years.

Cons

Lacks some of the "flash" (excuse the pun) of some other Storage start-ups. The established customer base has high quality and service expectations which can pull Engineers from new feature work.

Advice to Management

Continue to push for new markets and continue to help Engineering focus on the next generation products and features.