Panasonic Reviews | Glassdoor

Panasonic CEO Tom Gebhardt
Tom Gebhardt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Poor work/ life balance overall (in 30 reviews)

• No work life/personal life balance (in 11 reviews)

"Don't waste your time"

Former Intern - Human Resources in Newark, NJ
    Former Intern - Human Resources in Newark, NJ

I worked at Panasonic as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, vacation is ok, they just changed the policy so new hires get three weeks up front. Convenient location as it is close to Penn Station. Public transportation is encouraged as parking is expensive.

Cons

Politics and nepotism is a common practice. New hires aren't culturally fit for the organization. Internal promotions are slim to none. Departments are siloed and very hard to move interdepartmentally. Workload is insane as they are very understaffed. No work life balance.

"Watch Your Back"

Former Employee - Director, Federal Department of Defense in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director, Federal Department of Defense in Washington, DC

I worked at Panasonic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I accepted the position because the hiring manager was enthusiastic, I was provided an Audi company car, my salary was more than reasonable, and I could work remote from my home office.

Cons

The hiring manager disappeared after I was hired and I did not have resources in the field to contact for assistance. After meeting with DoD clients that I had built relationships with over the years, the engineering team would not follow up. Orders were delayed without notice or explanation. I left after a short while because their lack of professionalism was discrediting my reputation. I even had a hard time resigning! There is zero support for anyone working outside the Newark office.

"Manager - M1"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Panasonic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brand name, good infrastructure in general, discount for Panasonic products

Cons

Frequent change of direction, internal politics, I was there for less than 6 years and had 6 reports because half of them were ousted after political battle. Very hard place to work. Some of other divisions seem to be better though.

Advice to Management

They need to know where they are heading and stop so many reorgs.

4. "Engineer"

Former Intern - Engineer
    Former Intern - Engineer

I worked at Panasonic as an intern

Pros

I met some good friends in between the constant nothingness of spending my day at Panasonic.

I feel bad for the ones who stayed.

Cons

Legitimately one of the worst experiences of my life working here. The culture is completely good old boy, the people are completely racist constantly.

Not much friendliness among coworkers, very stab in the back. I hated every day waking up for this awful job. Never work for Panasonic. For the people that work there, doing something the "Panasonic way" means doing a bad job, slowly as possible, over managed as possible, and in a self loathing way.

Maybe other divisions in different regions are different. But I will never return to this company as long as I live .

Advice to Management

Retire already, and hire some competent machine operators with even basic competencies. The safety risks I saw being taken every day went completely against your "safety" mantra you told us every day.

"They can't keep getting away with it"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in The Colony, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in The Colony, TX

I worked at Panasonic (Less than a year)

Pros

Thorough training, consistent performance reviews, top-of-the-line equipment. Sales and Engineering get along very well and interdepartmental communication is smooth. Benefits were okay. Fun Christmas party.

Cons

Because I cannot post aggressive or discriminatory language. I'd like y'all to imagine it. This review, it should be noted, reflects only the Mechanical and Electrical Engineering departments. The culture is bad. Asian employees seemed, ironically, to be discriminated against. As it was explained to me, because they are there on work visas, they stand to lose a great deal if they quit or are terminated. Unfair amounts of work are required of them, and strongly suggested (with a threatening glare) of other employees.
    Working 9:00 to 9:00 was expected. I know it sounds like hyperbole, but in all seriousness, twelve-hour days were required except on very rare special occasions. Work is constantly being added. Supervisors are totally cowed by managers, and did very little to defend (me, at least) from managers' reprimands, even in front of customers. Reprimands for falling behind are usually given in the form of brutal, drawn-out meetings or, and I acknowledge the honesty policy when I say this, screaming rants in the middle of the cubicles, in front of everyone. Formal write-ups with a strike system were employed while I was there. People actually wept at their desks.

Advice to Management

You cannot let managers treat people as *literal* indentured servants. That this is not illegal is absolutely horrifying. Salaries are low, and the work is very nearly half again what is required elsewhere. You'll never retain anyone like this. Please be considerate of your entry-level employees, and let them go home. Please, please don't keep managers that are demonstrably inequitable and immature.

6. "Pricing Analyst"

I have been working at Panasonic full-time

Pros

clean environment with good cleaning staff

Cons

Successful employees get screwed by upper management who makes bad decisions and does not care about employees or success of business and keeping good people. Everyone is always fighting there. Management makes their own determinations without knowing the facts

Advice to Management

None, because they do not care to listen anyway.

"A graveyard"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Panasonic full-time

Pros

Free air, coffee and tea.

Cons

The ghost of the former CEO, Joe, is still there. He got rid of the talent, promoted his cronies and did some bizarre hiring to top positions. Employees and managers who asked tough questions were labeled "complainers". Joe reinforced the Japanese culture of “keep your mouth shut” and never question senior management, no matter how clueless or destructive is their actions.

The only creativity that’s appreciated involve Excel and shifting numbers between columns; i.e. kicking the can down the road from bonus to bonus until retirement.

Advice to Management

Move again. Get out of New Jersey and start a fresh.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Panasonic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you need a paycheck to survive on while you are looking for a place to thrive; this is it. You will receive low but ok pay and fairly decent benefits.

Cons

Pay to industry is incredibly low and bonus impossible to achieve.
    No opportunity advancement
    Gentrified middle management
    Stifling Japanese oversight
    Upper management does not listen to rank and file
    This is a narrowly focused company with one market - Public Sector
    Laptop and similar computing devices are a declining market

I've seen other post about the 7 Principles. They look good on paper but are not truly the way management works; especially when it comes to how employees are treated. The Japanese have very little regard for American rank and file and attitude that upper management has to follow.

Advice to Management

You are out of step with the America worker. As the economy improves, expect turn over.

"Horrifying work environment - lack of respect for employees and customers"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Newark, NJ

I worked at Panasonic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Ask anyone that works there today. No one is happy. And I mean no one.

Cons

Old school management, trying to hold on until retirement. No branding at all, will lie to customers to get purchase orders at all costs, environment of blame. Everyone has a target on their back.

Advice to Management

Just get out of the consumer space already.

"Japanese company ran like this is Japan"

I worked at Panasonic full-time

Pros

Having a job is better than nothing.

Cons

Especially engineering department is run by one man with no respect to others. Runs like a Korean elementary school. I am surprised that there is no corporal punishment in this company. As much nice Japanese people are as a person, they are equally or more difficult to work with. Company is losing business left and right, complete full of garbage.