Panavision Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
John Suh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manufacturing Engineer, Electronics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Panavision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

there is no done side to this company

2. "wasted money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Panavision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

little supervision. not a lot of stress

Cons

management changes their mind all the time about direction. a lot of wasted time and money spent on equipment for one job, sometimes not even used.

Advice to Management

stop reacting to every show's whim

3. "Optical engineer"

Former Employee - Optical Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Optical Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

Pros

I worked as an optical engineer for Panavision's research and development department in Woodland Hills, CA. At the time I joined, the department had about 30 FTEs, mostly mechanical and quality engineers. The other engineers were very friendly and welcoming and I liked all of my coworkers. Panavision has a large inventory of cinematography lenses, including some classic lenses, and several projection rooms that one can use to qualitatively evaluate them, so that presents a nice hands-on learning opportunity for an optical engineer interested in the history of cinematography lens design.

Cons

In my opinion, Panavision's attractions are outweighed by its many-years lack of optical engineering personnel (I was the only credentialed OE when I worked there), rapid turnover in senior management, and an overly secretive culture. Particularly after our department head was laid off and not replaced, I found it difficult to know what Panavision's plans were for any period longer than a couple of weeks. So, I don't recommend Panavision to other optical engineers, because lens design is incompatible with this sort of timeline. I particularly discourage new engineers from considering Panavision because of the dearth of other optical engineers to learn from. I also think Panavision's lack of transparency in its priorities makes it difficult to work with confidence; as an example, both design assignments I had there turned out to be of so little interest to management that I was never able to convene a quorum to review the designs and make a decision on them. Nor could I ever get direction to put the designs aside. In retrospect, the situation was hilarious, but at the time it was disconcerting.

Advice to Management

Figure out what R&D work is important to you, and then disclose this information to your staff so that they can help you.

4. "Ain't what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA

I worked at Panavision (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're in a customer-contact role, you will be treated well. The company works hard on making its clients happy, and if you shmooze clients, they'll treat you good too.

Cons

If you're behind the scenes and away from the customers, it's a sweatshop. Look at the bathrooms near the front, or upstairs in the management wing. Those are spotless. Then look at the bathrooms next to the machine shop and next to the cafeteria that the hourly workers use! You'll see waste bins that are overflowing all the time, and toilets that are often backed up and filthy. Says a lot about how management thinks of employees.

Advice to Management

In the last round of layoffs, management laid off the VP of engineering, the VP of R&D, and removed the CTO job, which means that they are now just like any other rental house. So management doesn't need advice. They made their play. It's a different company now.

5. "No Vision For The Future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Panavision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the colleagues were good people to be around, got meet a lot of creative people that were really nice despite their industry, never had to bring work home.

Cons

Leadership seemed insecure and not in step with the times. Colleagues, while nice people, never aimed to go above and beyond their jobs which probably had to do with the insecure management.

Advice to Management

Take time to reflect on your performance as well.

6. "Focusing on the foundations, (my observations)"

Former Employee - Panavision Remote Systems | Crane Operations Manager in North Hollywood, CA

I worked at Panavision (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is "Panavision."
    One of the most iconic names in camera and lens components for the movie and television industries.
    Highly sought after components when film is to be the medium for feature or television work. (Digital medium remains lacking in some areas still.) Certain lenses are considered "jewels" to be had to ensure artistic freedom and vision by leading directors and DP's.

Cons

Innovations in both camera and lens within the last 3 years have had mixed results at best.
    If long term strategies include further "leaning out" of key support divisions both in manufacturing and R&D to bolster capital fluidity, this could raise questions about future product line development and market direction.

Advice to Management

Employees work better with a clear company direction. A"robust" rumor mill within a company is a sure sign that the direction has not been made clear.

7. "Progressive company"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Panavision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting environment with creativity percolating the company from its vibrant customer base

Cons

Subject to seasonal market swings

Advice to Management

Continue to build reserves to withstand market swings

8. "A long term waste of time."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Panavision full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting people in the film business and getting to know the equipment, if you are young and fresh out of film school. A good health care plan for now. It is a somewhat comfortable and relaxed working environment. It was for a time a place where the president knew the people on the loading dock.

Cons

The salaries are low for the level of skill and responsability required, I worked there for seven years and went for five years without a raise or bonus of any kind despite contributing greatly to one of the departments. Promotions are largely based on internal friendships and not skill or experience. Many of the middle managers are poor leaders. The HR department is more worried about protecting corporate than employees.

Advice to Management

Take more concern with your hourly employees and not so much with adding to upper management and HR departments, they are the personel that the company could not survive a day without. Ask yourselves what department would honestly shut down the company if it suddenly vanished.

9. "Amazing grounding experience"

Current Employee - Camera Liaison in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Camera Liaison in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Panavision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time at Panavision stood my in good stead for my future career in the movie industry

Cons

It was a time when the conversion to digital filmmaking was occuring and the company didnt know whether to stick or twist

"Average working experience."

Former Employee - Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Panavision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Good team mates to work with.

Cons

Managament has issues. But cleaning up now.

Advice to Management

No advice