Panda Express Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Panda Express Co-CEOs Andrew and Peggy Cherng
Andrew and Peggy Cherng

1,138 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Lunch breaks came with free food and was a very interesting job (in 171 reviews)

• Free meal and 20% discount on meal purchases (in 103 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exceptional job for the right person"

Current Employee - Counter Help in Bradley, IL
    Current Employee - Counter Help in Bradley, IL

I have been working at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my first job and I plan on staying here all throughout my school years. My coworkers create a fun work environment while also being very productive. The pay is quite exceptional, I've been working here 6 months and have already received a raise for good performance. The manager is very fair and reasonable with the schedule, she has worked around my schedule. The job itself is enjoyable, my store is very busy so you never run out of things to do. At first it seems very intense, but you get used to it quickly as long as you're an energetic person.

Cons

We have a smaller amount of employees due to the fact that we aren't a larger store, which means we have between 4-6 people working every day. This is only bad if someone calls off, if someone calls off we will usually be short handed which means someone will be asked to stay over their shift. Don't work here if you don't have a relatively flexible schedule for things like that.

Advice to Management

Continue treating your employees well, one of the main reasons I work here is because I get paid very well considering I'm only a student. I also feel safe in the hands of my manager and coworkers, I feel we are very much a cohesive team.

Apr 19, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking your time to give us your feedback. At Panda, we offer competitive compensation and benefit package, and growth opportunities. Congratulate on your 6 months milestones and pay ... More

"ACO"

Former Employee - Area Coach of Operations in East Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Area Coach of Operations in East Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Panda Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good for the entry level to learn the hard working culture & the Asian way of running the restaurant business. You will learn a lot of cleaning & fix up for the owner & senior management visit.....

Cons

First generation executive, second generation operator, low end store manager from the bottom of the barrel.
    Low tech, complicated operation & tight cost control but expecting an exceptional bottom line!!

Advice to Management

Wake up & see how the top tier peers perform

3. "Lead Counter Help"

Former Employee - Leader Counter Help in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Leader Counter Help in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Panda Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, free food, time flexible

Cons

Management sucks, too many rules and expectations

Apr 28, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our benefit package and flexible schedule. Our mission is to deliver exceptional Asian dining experience ... More

5. "Panda Express"

I have been working at Panda Express part-time

Pros

Better hourly rate than most fast food chains, co workers usually are great and hard working.

Cons

A lot of work for what you get paid you do a lot of everything. Expect a lot.

"It's a good job for Counter Help -- not so much for Cooks."

Former Employee - Cook in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Cook in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Panda Express full-time

Pros

Pay was OK compared to similar jobs but not great by any means, Free meal.

Cons

I wasn't given a store tour on the first day, was finding out where things were weeks and weeks later. I wasn't a fan of the 11-12 hours shifts especially when you're told to take a 30 minute lunch break instead of an hour and no other breaks in the shift. Asst. Manager seemed more knowledgeable and helpful than the Manager in most cases. When you're opening you have thirty minutes to fill the front line and start the rice, which can be a little intimidating when you come into an under stocked station. Counter Help would frequently be allowed to stand around and have full length conversations while dishes would be piling up or rice would be waiting to be panned, even though compensation seems to be the same - not much teamwork to get stuff done.

Advice to Management

Train your managers to teach newer people without talking down to them and balance out the work better. Counter Help should be helping to cook and pan rice, cook teriyaki or catching up the dishes when it's slow

Apr 28, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Our training and development team is always looking for ways to improve our training program to support our associates growth and success at Panda. A new training ... More

7. "It was good, nice and clean atmosphere and not too demanding work"

Former Employee - Front of House in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Front of House in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Panda Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good food and meet a lot of cool
    People. Lunch breaks came with free food and was a very interesting job

Cons

can be hard work, can be very loud, had to clean a lot of dishes if your new, sometimes can get overwhelmed

8. "Cook"

I have been working at Panda Express part-time

Pros

During your break allowed to have a free meal. Flexible with schedule if that is something you need to take in to consideration.

Cons

so far during my time at panda a few people have called off which left others who were supposed to leave once they showed up stay and if they could not it would make the night a little more intense.

Advice to Management

I like this place there are good people and great managers who are fun to work with. Talk to the people who frequently call off.

9. "Front Of House"

I worked at Panda Express part-time

Pros

High expectations, decent starting pay for high school students

Cons

No raise after 2 years, even after training people who became my manager and never having any corrective actions or issues.

"Great place to work, IF you have good co-workers and management"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots to learn, good place to start, high starting pay, regular raises and promotions, free food on break, semi-flexible hours.

Cons

May work more than 12 hours per day, if your co-workers and/or management are not good then it will not be a pleasant experience, very strange almost cult-like team system and problematic equipment.

Advice to Management

If you have employees that make a lot of problems for themselves and others, no matter how good they are, fire them. Its the main reason I am quitting Panda Express, I want to go to work to make money, not get stressed out by other people's problems they don't leave at home, bring to work and stress everyone out.

Apr 19, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. I am sorry to hear that your experience at Panda did not meet your expectation. I also want to acknowledge your dedication to stay longer at the ... More

11. "Great culture"

I have been working at Panda Express full-time

Pros

Great culture, continuous learning, awesome benefits

Cons

people selection is poor, area managers not doing the job, favoritism

Advice to Management

Everyone aligned and people should be first instead of task

Showing 1,138 of 1,151 reviews