Panda Express Reviews in Rosemead, CA | Glassdoor

4.1
Panda Express Co-CEOs Andrew and Peggy Cherng
Andrew and Peggy Cherng

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • free food while on break, 20% associate/family/friend discount (in 181 reviews)

• Offers free meals for your breaks and is usually pretty accommodating for your schedule (in 108 reviews)

Cons

1. "Cook and prepared vegetables"

Current Employee - Cook in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Cook in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Past paced working enviorment.
    Free meals!

Cons

Management is bad. Managers are never stable and change every week. or month

2. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Panda Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, compensation, positive working environment

Cons

based to much on values, collectivism

3. "lead counter"

Current Employee - Lead Counter in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Counter in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Panda Express (More than a year)

Pros

Good company and keep learning to each other for business.

Cons

work a lot of hours

4. "Not for me"

Current Employee - Associate in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, free food on break

Cons

Rude customers, no stable schedule

5. "Interning at Panda"

Former Intern - Internship in Rosemead, CA
    Former Intern - Internship in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Panda Express as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to learn a lot about how the different departments work together. I was also given the opportunity to do research to improve upon one of their internal products.

Cons

Was thrown around a lot to shadow different people, resulting in a lack of focus within one particular department. Wish the internship program was better as I never given the opportunity to interact with the other interns in the other departments.

Advice to Management

Work on expanding the internship program to get more interns in each department. By doing so, you'll be able to build better lasting connections with your fellow interns so they'll be interested in returning in the future.

"All the stereotypes are true - find a better company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Panda Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Job stability: Panda is a monopoly in its segment
    -Free gym and sometimes food at corporate office
    -Sometimes free classes
    -Medical benefits, 401K, profit sharing after certain levels (vested over 5 years), 13 days vacation
    -Flexible schedule
    -Diversity in the employees

Cons

-Excessively heavy workload - flexible schedule doesn't really matter when you're doing 2 or 3 people's job
    -Below market compensation = lower quality coworkers
    -Long time managers and directors are unqualified for their jobs and wouldn't be hired today
    -Cult like culture pressuring Landmark classes and formerly Life Academy - ($400-2000/class out of your own pocket)
    -No matter how they dress it up, it's fast food.

Advice to Management

-You're already multibillionaires. Pay a market salary. Using internal shares is just wage theft and a form of handcuff.
    -People need more jobs. Don't make 1 person do 2 or 3 people's work
    -Practice what you preach

7. "Growth Opportunities and Development that you could Rarely Experience Anywhere!"

Current Employee - Support Center in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Support Center in Rosemead, CA

I have been working at Panda Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Panda's unique culture and values, which creates a great environment. It always promotes personal and professional growth by supporting continuous learning and learning funds.

I always have opportunities to take on different projects to practices my leadership. One thing I have conquered after i joined Panda is - Public Speaking.

Other benefits are: merit increase, benefits (low cost/co-pay insurance, cell phone discount, employee discount), Bonus, Paid Time Off. Support Center (Head Quarter) offered free coffee, soda, fresh fruits, and it has a GYM inside with free variety of fitness classes!!!

Cons

At times high expectation could affect work-life balance & stress, under staff

Advice to Management

Promote work-life balance, team building events and resolve staffing issue

"Friendly and helpful employees, interesting company culture"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Rosemead, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Panda Express as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is super nice and friendly. The company makes an effort to help everyone feel like a valued member of the team. Hard work is very valued.

Cons

I didn't always feel comfortable voicing my opinions especially when I disagreed with what seemed to be the overall of the organization. They have a strong culture and sense of values, and if you can buy into it all, that's great. I respected and appreciated their values and mission, but didn't always agree with how they went about fulfilling them.

Advice to Management

Be more approachable, especially to new people.

"Great, but not for everyone."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rosemead, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rosemead, CA

Pros

Great coworkers, sense of family, laidback environment, growing company

Cons

You have to live and breathe the culture or else you will hate working here. VERY difficult to become fulltime. Many temps find another job at another company before they complete the entire hiring process. Work life balance is a miss... They value culture over ability. Low-average pay compared to other similar companies. CEO's way or get out.

Advice to Management

Relax on the culture. Compensate associates based on industry standards.

"Everyone seems to be afraid of the CEO"

Former Contractor - Temp in Rosemead, CA
    Former Contractor - Temp in Rosemead, CA

I worked at Panda Express as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and awesome work environment. Very flexible hours and free gym access. Sometime there is free food at work.

Cons

If you are a temporary position and trying to get in as permanent, Good luck. Chances of getting hired is pretty slim. For you to be consider to be hired, you will have to take Landmark (a self improve course) which you will have to pay out of your own pocket and it was not cheap($450) and there are multiple classes after that. About 90% of the associates in the office does not agree with landmark nor do they want to take it. Also you need to get involve with company by living the culture and values.which I don't mind at all because some of the outside activities were great experience. The interview process can take up to 6 months to a year which includes lots and endless hours of coaching session with HR and your manager just to prep up to meet with the CPO and eventually the founder. One reason why I find this interview ridiculous is because none of the question they ask relate to my work, but my personal life. It's great that they care about me, but it is unnecessary for them to dig into my life to see if I was worthy to be part of this company. What does my relationship with friends and family got to do with my work or how I grew up should not matter of why I belong. I have seen many great people that do so much for this company but yet, they were let go because people above don't think they fit in the culture and values.

Advice to Management

My best advise is that great company but this hiring process that this company created has projected a bad image of the company. Many associates do not agree with what HR and people above are doing. The position I was pursuing was a low entry level position, but yet was treated as if I was in high position and pay was high. They need to give the Hiring Manager and VP of the department the power to hire the people that fits best for the department/company and not let HR determine if you are Panda material. Also, Landmark is a big deal to Panda, but why encourage everyone to take it when no one likes it or agree with it? You basically have to take it for consideration for hire or even promotion. Everything seems to be forced and everyone is afraid to speak up.

Showing 30 of 1,253 reviews