Panera Bread Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

1.0
Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible Shifts, fast paced environment, discount on food (in 263 reviews)

• Flexible hours, good job to have as a first job or s job for high school or college students (in 189 reviews)

Cons

1. "Look elsewhere for work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Walpole, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Walpole, MA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- coworkers were a good group of people

Cons

- dishonest and childish managers
    - lack of communication by management
    - schedule was often posted the night before the new work week began
    - extremely understaffed
    - extremely busy most of the time (the location is situated near some major highways and this Panera Bread has a drive-through)
    - horrible training / lack of training for new employees

Advice to Management

Don't lie to employees.

If you say you're going to make a person a trainer, don't keep promising them that and then not making them a trainer. Promoting part-time high school students who have worked for one month or less is really strange and disrespectful to the full-time employees who have worked longer and harder.

If you tell a person that they're getting a raise, honor that. An example: you told a worker that he was getting a raise. One month later, he still hadn't received it. He's an extremely hardworking guy whose been working full-time for over a year and lying to him is very disrespectful and disgusting.

2. "Not worth it"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Woburn, MA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, paid time off, free meals

Cons

Stress comes home with you, poor work-life balance, compensation, shift length, type of clientele

Advice to Management

You make it clear you value your customers, but not your employees.

3. "Poor"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Panera Bread (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people, salary bonus can be OK, mostly clean work environment. People generally like the concept.

Cons

Poor quality of life. Long hours. Busy city cafe means always looking for help and working with lots of inexperienced employees

4. "Not well organized"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I worked at Panera Bread part-time

Pros

Great discounts
    Nice people and customers

Cons

Bad management
    Low pay
    Bad hours for part-time employees

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees

5. "Eh."

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Boston, MA

Pros

I enjoy some of my co-workers. It's always busy which I enjoy because it helps the time fly.

Cons

Management isn't always the best. They can sometimes play favorites. If it says you're scheduled till a certain time please expect to never get out at that time, usually you're there later.

6. "Crew Trainer"

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Needham, MA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the regular customers ("guests") were extremely nice and more often than not the few moments spent exchanging pleasantries with them became the highlight of your shift.

Cons

Terrible pay for what is expected of associates. Nearly every member of management seems to talk down to and/or at you. Very hard to get a day off. Releasing part of the staff hours before they were scheduled to leave was common practice at this Panera and doing so caused numerous problems and stress for remaining employees. This was especially true for those working the second shift. If you were a strong worker management would not send you home early instead you would be expected to do the work several employees for the rest of your shift; with all the added responsibility it was anyone's guess when that shift would end.

The store would close at 10 and closing associates were be scheduled to work until 11. With the lack of employees left standing at 10 o'clock getting out of there by midnight was regarded as having made good time.

The schedule was supposed to be posted 3 or 4 days prior to the start of the next work week however employees were lucky if the schedule was posted by closing time the night before the new week started. Sometimes the schedule would not be finalized and posted until a couple of days into the week. Employees were constantly calling to find out when they should come in. The morning shift would call to find out about their schedule for the following day and were constantly told to call back later on.

Advice to Management

Remember that every employee is just as human as you are so please, treat them as such. Don't be in the office on your cell phone while workers who were scheduled to work from 3pm-11pm slave away until the early morning hours because you sent their co-workers (who were supposed to tend to and close other stations in the restaurant) home mid dinner rush. Understandably, when business is slow cutting workers can be necessary. At this location however their profit margin far exceeded the standards set by the company/franchise. In fact, the GM at the time received quite a few bonus checks as a result.

7. "Want to be taken advantage of? Work here."

Former Employee - Associate in Westford, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Westford, MA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is a family-like atmosphere. The management treats you so terribly that you learn to rely on each other a lot. I've made life long friends here, both coworkers and managers. I worked here for almost two years while in college. The Westford location is not terrible, in terms of pay at least. I was paid more than the average fast food job.

Cons

You have to beg for days off. They are so understaffed because they are cheap about labor and will not post that they're hiring online, only on a sign outside the store. If you're in college or have a second job, they'll hire you and tell you the scheduling won't be an issue. Then they'll schedule you during class or your other job and tell you tough cookies its your shift. There are weeks when you will be scheduled 7 days a week with 5 hour shifts each day. Forget labor laws too, expect at least once or twice to work open to close (5am to midnight) with no break. They have 15/16 year old kids there until 1am on school nights, also not getting breaks. They don't follow the new MA sick time laws, if you call out expect to be punished and definitely not compensated with your accrued sick time.

The majority of these cons are part of the company culture, not individual store managers. There is a HUGE disconnect between the corporate side and the actual cafes. When there is a line to the door for 10 hours straight and you're understaffed by four people, the company says its great to save on labor, but they still expect their 3 minute ticket times. They expect perfection for paltry wages, and are unrealistic in all expectations.

The money they spend giving away free food to keep their snobby customers calm because their food took an extra 2 minutes, should be spend on labor and maybe even a compliance manager at the higher level to assure that they aren't repeatedly breaking laws. I will honestly laugh when someone finally sues them.

Despite all of this, I absolutely loved my coworkers and most of my managers. This is just not a good company to work for, if you have other options, take them.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Hire management from within, its pitiful that half your managers can't work the line on busy nights and hide in the office. That is due to poor training. Pay more, especially because your stores are located in higher income locations. Stop hiring 16 year olds unless you're going to follow the law.

8. "Full time means full time..."

Former Employee - Associate in Lynnfield, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Lynnfield, MA

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were for the most part genuinely nice people. I was given an opportunity to learn all aspects of the jobs so I could fill in at a moments notice.

Cons

Once you are in a position, they do not allow you to ever move up. I was hired for full time and only ever given part time hours. I hate to say this, but it is true only minorities were given full time hours. I am white and I was denied. There are no benefits. The pay is poor. The work is grueling. And they don't feed you, you have to pay.

Advice to Management

What goes for one set of employees goes for all.

9. "Not good place to work"

Former Employee - Everything in Marshfield, MA
    Former Employee - Everything in Marshfield, MA

I worked at Panera Bread (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro was bringing home the bread and bagels at the end of the night

Cons

Not enough hours for the employees who actually work and those who didn't work hard got all the hours

Advice to Management

Respect your employees that actually care enough about their work

"Not a very good place to work"

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

discount is 75% food off but only when you work, at the end of the night you can take home left overs.

Cons

make you clean bathrooms floors clean. even if your only a cashier.

Advice to Management

management acted like they were always above you like you really didn't mean much.

Showing 14 of 4,649 reviews