Panera Bread Reviews

Updated May 16, 2021

3.3
Panera Bread President and CEO Niren Chaudhary
Niren Chaudhary
Pros
  • "Discount on food and first-time experience with a job(in 529 reviews)

• "Great colleagues, delicious food, flexible hours(in 398 reviews)

• Cons
  • "And I feel bad for my associates who work hard to make the store look and feel good for our customers when they make only a little above minimum wage(in 205 reviews)

• "Can only advance if you have an in with someone within the upper management(in 198 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Panera Bread and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Absolutely Incredible!

Feb 28, 2021 - Associate in Lynchburg, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Team! Great Management! Great Co-Workers. Always room to grow.

Cons

Based out of Lynchburg VA, Hours can be long

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great job for beginners

Mar 4, 2021 - Prep/Line Cook
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for beginners and first jobs.

Cons

Very intense work with high demands

3. 3.0
      Current Employee

Okay job but depends on location

Apr 25, 2021 - Overnight Baker
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Decent Pay -Solo Work This job isn't too bad once you get into the swing of things. After training, once I started flying solo, I got into my own flow. And I could be in and out of there within the span of six hours. May spend some extra time cleaning if I have the time.

Cons

-Terrible Management -Workload -Disgusting Cafe (Location Based) -Inconsiderate Co workers -No time for breaks This is definitely dependent on location but management was very poor. The store they put me, was the one where no one wanted to work. It didn't take me long to find out why either. I would come in, and the place was disgusting. Bakers station was a complete mess and racks and pans were everywhere. Asked closing managers to help make sure at least that was tidy since the day workers use the baker station but even that couldn't be communicated down the line. Often ended up cleaning up after closing shift after my bake pretty much every night. It does suck when someone works the night before you and they don't pan up. You spend an extra 15 minutes prepping before you can bake. And at my location, I already have to clean behind closing shift, because they just don't finish cleaning. The workload can be daunting. My store has a sizable . Lots of bake gone right into the trash. Beagle Tuesday and truck nights mean you have to work at the speed of light. Which means you have no time for breaks. You really need to be on point with managing you time as you have no one to tell you what to do and when to do things.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee

Good Learning Experience- Not a long-term commitment

May 7, 2021 - Team Associate - Front of House in Allison Park, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Personal pros - close to my home, reasonable pay; relative to the abysmal federal/state minimum wage, I met some people with genuinely sweet souls

Cons

Research into the company and the entities that own it in order to understand who you are working for/with. If you work with Panera you're not working with angels; it's obvious...just look up Reimann Family and you will understand the persistent atmosphere/aura of working there. The owners of this company profiteer from slave labor. I worked here from December 20 2020 to April 28 2021. It didn't take long for me to figure out/feel the greed that is a part of Panera. It is apparent in customer attitude, as well. They want fresh food, but they want it fast. I had a different impression of Panera when I applied...I didn't think it was a fast-food jezebel, but, that's what it has become. There's a definite hierarchical structure at the location where I briefly participated...Allison Park. There are employees, there are bully managers, there are tyrannical figures who make the managers sick /indoctrinate with the bully behavior... Employees here often complain about the way they are treated. I don't do that. I leave. I quit this job without professional notice because professional respect for my time was not honored here.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Decent, But Monotonous

May 6, 2021 - Production Line Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

For a part-time employee, they were very flexible with hours and time off and helped me fit work around my class schedule.

Cons

The work is very monotonous. You do the same thing day in, day out. After a while, it gets boring and drives you a bit crazy. Also, the chain I worked at was owned by Covelli Enterprises. The company doesn't seem to care very much about the well-being of their employees; hard workers get overloaded with hours and poor workers are scheduled very little.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great people, good discount, better than most.

May 16, 2021 - Associate Trainer in Tacoma, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people and the discount were great. The company cares for its employees as much as it can for the scale of business.

Cons

Lot's of work with lowish, but it's a low-skill job, so you get what you expect.

7. 1.0

Terrible management

May 10, 2021 - Cashier in Dover, DE
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the employees you will work with are the most loyal , funny and kind people you’ll ever meet. They can be slightly flexible with your scheduling but will probably end up scheduling you on the day you requested off for anyway.

Cons

Management is very hostile , uncaring and unprofessional. They are some of the worst people to work for. They talk about all their employees behind their backs, working there is like being inside high school with cliques again. They also underpay for the work they expect you to do , your job requirements are outlined but they expect you to be able to do every single job in the store whether you are trained or not. They are severely understaffed because they choose to be picky with who they hire even though they have no room to be and everyone quits within a couple weeks or doesn’t come back because they know how awful it is.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Depends on location

May 16, 2021 - Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

The food, good discount. Experience depends on location and management.

Cons

Can get very busy and be under staffed at times

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Its okay

Apr 26, 2021 - Panera Bread Associate Trainer in Dedham, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers, managers were friendly.

Cons

Customers - sometimes very rude. Upper upper management cutting things like drive thru times and labour hours which causes high anxiety, and high turnover rate. no raises, no proper training during covid, not keen on having 1 person doing 1 job. they want you to be in 3 places at once and if you cant keep up you get barated. I havent ever had this issue at the other panera locations ive worked at.

10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The job

May 15, 2021 - Assistant General Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities available. Upper management is very focused on development of its managers. You will learn a lot.

Cons

AGM is scheduled to work in position when GM is on shift. This isn’t always a bad thing as it allows you to work with the team and identify any issues with a closer view. It’s hard to hire and retain staff because the company hires at the lowest wages possible. They are no implementing changes, hopefully the company will continue to improve.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 9,947 Reviews