Panera Bread Reviews | Glassdoor

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

1,315 Employee Reviews

Cons

"It's a Job and I'm Glad I'm Over It"

Former Employee - Server/Busboy/Cashier/Food Prep in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Server/Busboy/Cashier/Food Prep in Detroit, MI

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a job and they pay money, direct deposit. It is a decent place to work, they hire a lot of high schoolers and give people a chance. At first I think the employees aren't good at there job, but to think Panera is good at finding peoples potential. If people stick around they really hire super amazing people. 65% discount isn't bad and a lot times management gives free food. The social aspect is nice I like how there is time to get to know my coworkers and customers. This is good because I am a people person. It's not rocket science we just sell bread.

Cons

Hard work and not enough breaks. We only get one unpaid 30 min break. And this only happens if we work 6 Hrs+ and most of the time I don't take it. Employees don't stick around. Everyone does more then asked and doesn't get recognized. Busy lunch rush is madness, especially when unprepared.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff more. Don't schedule people outside their availability. Don't work people six days a week unless they don't mind. Don't have people close and then open the next day unless they don't mind. Don't assume all your staff is as qualified as you are. Relax a bit. Allow for people to sit down and eat for 5 mins, we all can't go seven hours without eating. Appreciate everyone from management to associates to customers. We all work hard.

2. "If you're looking for a refreshing escape from the typical food service restaurant, this ain't it."

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Panera is one of the faster-growing companies in the stock market at the moment. Investing in Panera is a pro.
    Relatively organized website to view your own employee information (payslips, tax documents, coupons, etc.)

Cons

Like every other food service restaurant, most places can be described as mismanaged with a general lack of communication and sense of teamwork. But if you want better workers, pay them better,

Advice to Management

If you want better workers, either bump up current, hard-working employee's hourly rates, or simply hire better workers.

3. "Okay part-time job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Brought home lots of free breads & pastries at the end of the day! (My roommates loved me.)
    -Panera would donate the rest of the breads & pastries to a local food pantry at the end of the day.
    -Decent for a summer job.
    -Solid staff-- made working there tolerable.
    -Relatively clean for a fast-food place.

Cons

-Slow training
    -Monotonous training videos
    -Generally boring

Advice to Management

Our main manager was pretty good- he was the kind of manager who would clean a table if he saw it was dirty (instead of making us do it after we finished what we were doing). I had a really bad experience with a few of the lower level managers though-- they would follow me around the dining room months after I had been working there pointing for me to pick up tiny pieces of trash on the ground. It felt demeaning. My advice?? Promote deserving people to be the key holders.

5. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Cafe Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Cafe Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you meet. The busy environment there is always something to do if you like to keep busy.

Cons

Been with 3 different Panera. Not all are the same. But employees don't show up to work and unethical situations within one store I worked at.

Advice to Management

The management needs to learn how to speak to employees even though we are in a high stressed environment. And place employees where they would like to be and switch them up if they are cross trained. They are cross trained for a reason.

6. "It's gone downhill"

Current Employee - Associate in Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Hershey, PA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Other associates are great
    -Make my own food, usually

Cons

-Management has gone way downhill minus one or two that still care about employees
    -Scheduling is so tight and no one wants to cover shifts, so your left with absences when closing a lot which adds a lot of time till you can go home.
    -Customers are stingy and will completely throw recipes out to make their own thing which usually ends up adding a lot of time to the tickets.
    -Music sucks inside, it's ruined some songs for me

Advice to Management

Stop scheduling so tight and pay your line associates the same as other similar places if you want to be recognized as a restaurant and not fast food.

7. "Company needs to relocate its soul"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, from upper management to cashiers, you'll make friends. Opportunity for career advancement. I loved all my bosses

Cons

Panera has been losing its direction lately. What I saw in the beginning, and what I saw at the end, were two different mantras of how to operate. They used to be one of the better paying companies for entry level staff and employees. Now they are behind most fast food.

Advice to Management

Communicate with honesty and transparency.

8. "good first time job"

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people that you work with are amazing. The managerial staff tries there best at doing both their job and keeping everything on track, but if you slack they will notify you and address it. If you perform well you can get promoted and noticed by your fellow employees.

Cons

Some of the employees have a bad attitude and some managers take their job too seriously and ruin the culture of the facility

Advice to Management

Do your job well and hit your goals, but also reward hardwork

9. "Good first place to work"

Current Employee - Cashier/Foh/Boh in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Foh/Boh in Moline, IL

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good starting pay
    - Flexible Scheduling
    - Earn your hours

Cons

- Management (Have had over 4 different managers since I started 6 months ago)
    - Job is overall un enjoyable for the most part.

Advice to Management

Make working more enjoyable

10. "Line cook/ Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked that we had the opportunity to tast the food that we were selling and preparing

Cons

Management was not the best at all

Advice to Management

Have consistent managers and mangers that will be able to handle the pressures of the position that they are holding. Take empleyee complaints seriously because some of the manager could get as bad as said in reports.

11. "Average"

Former Employee - Line Worker in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Day went by fast. Good training. Worked with great people for the most part.

Cons

Awful pay for the amount of work done. Customers can be obnoxious.

Showing 1,315 of 4,323 reviews