Panera Bread Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich
1,104 Ratings

4,107 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Flexible Shifts, fast paced environment, discount on food (in 198 reviews)

• Free drinks, tips of you're a Cashier or a Food runner, flexible hours, great environment (in 172 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough pay for the amount of work (in 69 reviews)

• Current benefits, long hours can be strenuous (in 153 reviews)

"Beware"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ashburn, VA

Pros

Most of the people are very nice to work with, some of the training is good.

Cons

A lot of micro management, Head manager does not lead by example. I feel a lot of back stabbing among management going on. I would have to question motives and how competent managent is. Lied about hours work when hiring. They told everyone I talked to that they would work 45 hrs, when 50 hrs or more is required, otherwise you are in trouble. Company does not followed its own mission statement. Do not trust what you hear when interviewing.

Advice to Management

Keep promises, and follow your mission statement. The environment needs to change if you want to keep your employees.

"want to get screwed? work at Panera"

Current Employee - Baker in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Baker in Charleston, SC

Pros

fair pay with experience for 3rd shift bakers

Cons

I recently took a vacation . I informed the GM that I was taking a few days off for vacation{the first in over 2 years} I asked for a request form , she told me to put it in the log book and the asst. man. would take care of it. I got my check today and guess what? no vacation pay!!! I find out tonight that vacation is no longer offered to the baking staff

Advice to Management

I would suggest trying to work 3rd shift while maintaining a healthy lifestyle ,caring ofr you children and trying to get things done around the house. Try it, see how easy it is.

"Panera Bread has exceptionally rude management."

Former Employee - Horrible Experience in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Horrible Experience in Orlando, FL

Pros

Good for workers who enjoy fast-paced, independent working environments- if you need training, look elsewhere, they will not help you.

Cons

Never got any feedback. Got two hours of training before being expected to know everything. Was yelled at repeatedly my first day for simple mistakes. No communication otherwise, took me off the schedule without explanation. Extremely rude people to work for.

Advice to Management

MORE TRAINING. LESS TURNOVER AND TERMINATIONS- give people more than two seconds to get used to a new job. Thanks.

"I worked first at the Fox River Grove, IL store and then the McHenry, IL store."

Former Employee - Associate in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in McHenry, IL

Pros

I liked my co-workers, period.

Cons

Promised opportunites never materialized. Practiced age discrimination to the max. Filed claim with EEOC. Also retaliation for filing claim. Cut hours. New manager lived with old manager. Lied about my "training" which never happened. Overstated my limitations and understated my abilities. Went home crying and in pain many many times. But continued to work because I needed the work. They said they were treating me this way because of corporate orders. Everything they do is because of corporate orders. Treating a human being like crap is corporate orders? I do not think so. I still would like this to be resolved which is why I have not quit pursuing this EEOC claim. Which is weird because I quit but can get unemployment benefits. Something is wrong with Panera and its employee policy.

Advice to Management

Quit concentrating on the customer relations. They will fall in place if you take care of the employee.

"Panera Bread Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Exton, PA

Pros

really none need my job

Cons

Managers are terrible, treat you like crap. only get a 30 minute unpaid break for an eight hour shift totally sucks

Advice to Management

Get new management who respect their employees and not treat us like slaves. I will work so much better if treated with a little respect.

7. "Never Cared About Me"

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

My base pay was excellent.
    Transferring to other Panera locations.
    At first, was motivated and inspired to work there and be a part of the Panera team.

Cons

Treated like garbage for the 3 years I worked there- I call that dedication.
    Promoted Trainers to Shift Supervisors who had NO leadership skills.
    Managers broke the rule which prohibited them from being friends with associates outside of work, regularly, which then caused a massive drop in morale and upped the favoritism factor.
    Cut my hours when I couldn't be on call every single day due to my school schedule.
    Never received recognition for a hard day's work, which was daily.

Advice to Management

Treat your associates like they are REAL people working for a living. If you're going to have rules in place, make sure EVERYONE is following them, including management. The fact that you decreased the amount of raises per year is ridiculous. If you truly cared about your employees, you would reward them. They are the ones keeping your business booming. I will NEVER again tell any of my friends, co-workers or random people I meet on the street to go to Panera Bread. It's terrible how you treat your employees. You should be ashamed.

8. "Do not work at Panera"

Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Trainer in Livonia, MI

Pros

The company donates leftover baked goods to local organizations

Cons

The favoritism present in the store is ridiculous. There is a gross inequality in terms of distribution of hours. Associates who are equal in their work abilities are not treated the same. The place is also full of drama. If it isn't associates who talk about one another, it's the management. Also some of the associates have become quite greedy and will trample on anyone just so they get what they feel like they deserve.

Advice to Management

Make the policies and standards at Panera consistent with each other. There are many procedures that contradict each other. Also, treat your associates more fairly.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Cashier in Orchard Park, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orchard Park, NY

Pros

Customer interaction was great, and the food was good.

Cons

Management was inefective and unfair. I chose that job because the manager talked up communication. Unfortunatly he only listened to words of praise. Assistant managers were either nasty or beaten down into not caring what went on. Favorites weren't required to follow the rules and many a good employee was let go due to not playing that game.

Advice to Management

It's pointless, unless there has been a change of management they don't care and will just keep firing and rehiring replacements. They don't care about the employees feelings or get to know them at all. It's all about the money.

"Panera Bread"

Current Employee - Associate in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Lancaster, PA

Pros

Managers are extremely rude to all associates even the ones who really put forth the work and do their job well. They're honestly only concerned with making money and they don't care how long you stay. You won't be treated well, you aren't allowed more than 40 hours unless you're in management so forget benefits...

Other associates are usually very good to work with and are often the best part about the job, but there's so little down time it's hard to really get to know them well.

(Yes these are the pro's to working at Panera.)

Cons

Depending on what you're being trained for when you start working for Panera, you will be asked to do quite a few things at once that often you can't handle. For instance, if you're trained for the Dinning Room, you're in charge of every table being cleaned, floors being cleaned, windows/doors being cleaned, bathrooms being cleaned, coffee's and tea's being brewed, everything in the drink stations being kept stocked, making sure all the dishes make it back to whoever is watching them. And if you're really lucky, you can get put on Dish too, and wash EVERY dish, but usually only in a down time or when someone left for a break.

Managers often loose their temper and patience even in front of customers and often TOO the customers, completely inappropriate in any work setting.

Advice to Management

Just learn manners and respect you'd have such a better business if people knew that your own employees were treated well.

"3"

Current Employee - Regional Catering Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Regional Catering Sales Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great brand and great reputation

Cons

All managers are not the same. Some are very nurturing, others are cut throat.

Advice to Management

Say what you mean and mean what you say

Showing 4,107 of 4,117 reviews