Panera Bread Reviews | Glassdoor

4,739 reviews

Full-timePart-time

4,739 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible Shifts, fast paced environment, discount on food (in 274 reviews)

• Flexible hours, good job to have as a first job or s job for high school or college students (in 193 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't feel like the amount of work is equivalent to the pay (in 73 reviews)

• Working weekends and no work-life balance (in 63 reviews)

1. "Decent work environment"

Current Employee - Team Member in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Team Member in Concord, NC

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment, good coworkers and managers

Cons

Pay is low and limited, it can be difficult to move up, there's not always a good balance of employees scheduled and customer needs/profit

"manager"

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

healthy work life home life balance.
    good pay, bonus structure fluctuates to much

Cons

high stress, high turnover, poor management training.

3. "Fantastic"

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time

Pros

My favorite job, honestly. And I know that can be hard to say,but other then the occasional upset customer who doesn't understand what a loaf of bread is, the customers, coworkers and atmosphere are really great.

Cons

Not really cons per say but if you ever eat @ panera bread keep these things in mind

-pick 2 means pick 2 things. not 3, not 4. pick 2 thats it.

-dont be the person who waits 25 minutes for us to open, it is 5am i am sure we will have your 6 plain bagels

-dont be the guy that asks for extra olives and counts the olives in the salad and request 2 additional olives. dont be that guy

-you have to pay over the phone for phone ins, we get in trouble for just setting it aside for you, wanna pay with cash we can not guarantee that your order will be prepared

-note to add to the one above, no i am not going to steal your info because when we ask for card numbers we do not ask for your security code

-the bread slicer is for bread, not bagels. when you do that and 1/2 of your blueberry bagel gets stuck i now how to clean the bread slicer and you are unhappy with your chopped up sad looking bagel. just dont.

- DO NOT ORDER a toasted bagel pack, toasted bagels are only good when they are hot and cool down pretty quickly when i toast 13 bagels by the time you get home you will have stale bread, unless you are a tasteless and soulless stale bread slicer buy a toaster please

Advice to Management

yallrock

4. "Good part time job"

I worked at Panera Bread part-time

Pros

Good place to work while in school

Cons

High turnover in store management

5. "Upper management is great, store to store varies"

Current Employee - Associate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Associate in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has great policies on food quality standards and are probably the most worker friendly company I've ever worked for. Their mission is to keep both the customer and the employees happy and it can work.

Cons

The time constraints on service can be almost impossible. It seems that they want to make ticket times more efficient yet will not schedule the staff needed to do so. It's a very no waste company, which can be good, but not when no waste sometimes means not enough.

Advice to Management

Upper management, keep doing your thing. GMs at each store need to give their associates the tools they need to succeed, which sometimes means more employees on the clock (especially at night).

6. "Good First Job"

Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's good for teenagers looking for their first job, because there no experience needed, lots of available hours to fit in different school schedules, and meal discounts.

Cons

My location is very corporate, poorly managed, and always understaffed so 4 people end up having to do the work of 7 or 8.

Advice to Management

Learn to teach associates responsibility, calling out sick is a last resort, not a daily allowance!

7. "Sanitation Associate"

Former Employee - Sanitation Associate in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Sanitation Associate in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No as for me. Plenty of difficulties, zero gain.

Cons

It depends.

I worked as a Sanitation Associate in Chandler. Payment was $12.50/hour, 4 pm - 12:30 am shift (8 hours).

Hiring process.

You will need to visit them at least 3 times for a job interview with Production Manager, Team-lead, Supervisor. The main question during the job interview ("What you are going to do in case of damaging the equipment?" - they have such cases every other working shift).

They usually consider candidates for 3-4 week. After that - you need to have a drug test (in Phoenix urgent care) - in 24 hours after receiving papers, you will need to drop everything and waste a half of a day for this procedure. Other day you will need to waste on buying protective boots (steel toe). After that - wait for an orientation (plenty of tests for 4-5 hours). Drug test + background check + waiting for an orientation usually takes 10 days. Salary - bi-weekly. Think twice if you can afford it or not.

They will order you a lab coat and pants but after 2 weeks after starting your work. Before it you will need to use your one clean pants and t-shirt.

Work.

In job description they claimed opportunity to raise 25 lbs on permanent basis. In fact I should relocate big and heavy production equipment (2-3 my body regular weight). The work is about: cleaning, assembling equipment, washing floors, walls, tables.
    From time to time they have lack of cleaning supply.

Safety.

More for clients/production than for workers. No one sanitation associate lockouts mixers before cleaning them - you will need to rotate huge steel hooks with hands in the opposite case (and be without hands the next day - pain, pain, pain). Cleaning solutions/foam: chlorinated alkaline, alkaline. No protective masks in use. And I don't remember a SDS fold anywhere. People (including backers) usually smocking outside and sitting on the ground in working pants and lab coats.
    QA training: they ask the workers don't lick working instruments etc. Very helpful.

Management.

Team-lead can cry aloud near your ears just for fun. Periodically you even can't find over team members on the working floor. Damages of equipment are quite ordinary.

Supervisor usually asks you to put a signature under his findings: a 1/32 inch of a dough in/on a huge mixer (after cleaning), film on the grid cover etc.

In fact - 2 supervisors and 3-4 sanitation workes. Don't ask why the prices are so impressive.

The most part of sanitation team (and backery too) are men.

Funny.

Company supplies coffee, tableware, fridge and micro-wave. Restroom and a closet for you clothing (working clothing) - is the same place. They can treat you with waste cookies and bread (no violence in it!) or strawberry in mold. And that's it.

As for me: extremely boring heavy cleaning job. Payment is less than modest for it. Not for everyone. Not for women.

Advice to Management

Describe working duties before hiring. Shorten a hiring cycle. Listen what candidates tell concerning their working capabilities: it makes no sense to spend 1 month in hiring process, $100 for workibg boots (Panera pays for them), 7 lab coats, 7 working pants and discover during 1-2 weeks that you need a muscular/athletic guy instead of tiny girl. Ridiculous.

8. "Cafe associate"

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time

Pros

Employees are nice
    Job is easy

Cons

Some management have poor attitude
    Hourly wage is terrible

Advice to Management

Value good employees

9. "Build a better team"

Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Wisconsin Dells, WI

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management was very present and listened to your concerns. Extra Hours always available. Food is good but discount isn't satisfactory

Cons

Associates who should have been fired time and time again were allowed to stay and make everyone else's life hell because we were so desperate for employees we can't afford to loose someone who doesn't do their job in the first place

Managers played favorites

Advice to Management

Actually punish bad associates and you will stop loosing good ones.

10. "Valuable Experience"

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time

Pros

Very flexible work schedule. Fun coworkers. Competitive pay.

Cons

Poor communication. Extremely fast-paced work environment. New management brought strict policies and several employees to leave.

Advice to Management

Remove strict policies.

Showing 4,739 of 4,757 reviews