Panera Bread Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

4.0
Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible Shifts, fast paced environment, discount on food (in 284 reviews)

• Flexible hours, good job to have as a first job or s job for high school or college students (in 203 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't feel like the amount of work is equivalent to the pay (in 75 reviews)

• Work life balance is very tough, but is often reflective of the manager's abilities (in 67 reviews)

1. "Decent Part Time Job"

Current Employee - Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good first job for a high schooler or a college student who just needs a little bit of money on the side or saved up.

Free drinks such as lemonade, fountain drinks, Iced Chai.

Discount on food - 60% on shift and 20% off shift. The discount code only works at your home store with no way of verifying it other than saying "I work at ___ location", so while a neighboring store might give you the discount, there is no guarantee that they will give you it. It would be nice if it worked system-wide, or if there was a little card to show the employees like some Jamba Juices do.

Easy enough job - unless you're one of those who the management works like a dog, you're just going to be ringing up customers, cleaning the line or dining room, making drinks, or grabbing baked goods, breads, bagels, etc.

Coworkers can be fun to work with, but that obviously depends on your store. Upper management is pretty friendly and accommodating, especially to my medical conditions/disability.

I get compensated $11/hr (minimum wage in my area), which I feel is fair for the amount of work we complete. I know some people are earning $8 or $9, which does feel a bit low for the amount of work asked of us.

Cons

Cafe managers can be really annoying; there's one at my store who will just walk over and tell me something completely opposite of what everyone else tells me to do.

Sometimes you get rude or demanding customers (more than I experienced at prior foodservice jobs), but what food service place doesn't get rude customers to be honest?

Long time standing, only one 10 minute break for 5-6 hour shift (you legally can oblige to take an unpaid 30 minute break in California, but the cafe managers at my store try to discourage it).

They cut shifts like no tomorrow unless you prove yourself. Most likely, you'll need a second/side job to get the amount of money you want or need. Most of the fellow associates at my store have second jobs.

Advice to Management

I would hire less people to better organize your labor.

Showing 1 of 5,045 review