Papa John's Reviews in Charlotte, NC | Glassdoor

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Wear and tear on vehicle (obviously) (in 55 reviews)

• You get paid under minimum wage because you are a tipped employee (in 94 reviews)

1. "Bland Pizza, Terrible Conditions"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, most of the shift is spent out of sight of management

Cons

Trash wages supplemented only tips. You're relying on the generosity of an increasingly penny-pinching society to make even minimum wage, since the pay on the road is just 4.50 an hour. No benefits for non-fulltimers, obviously, and lol if you're gonna get fulltime without slaving for a year or more.

Advice to Management

Get right with the gods, cause there's no mercy for the likes of ye beyond the veil.

2. "HORRIBLE! Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Belmont, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Belmont, NC

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro that I would say that I found in this job...is the location and hours. I was five minutes or less from this location, so it was easy getting to work. The hours also allowed me to work after school during the week. Weekly pay was also good, but I was not there enough to really see what my check would look like.

Cons

Where do I begin?? There are so many cons. First of all, I am in college for long hours. When I got this job, I was under the impression that they would be more understanding. But they were not. They fired me because I was a "no call" for two days, when I did call and make an effort to come in.
    Second, their restaurant is NASTY! I would walk in and see trash everywhere! I was appalled at what I saw, and was wondering why this location did not get a lower sanitation grade. Plus, people were eating things off of the make line WHILE MAKING PIZZAS. That's gross! I was not trained properly; I was just thrown in to the line without any other type of training. Coming straight from college (which is already overwhelming) to THAT didn't help me learn anything. I always left overwhelmed. And when I spoke to the manager about it, he didn't really help me. Instead, he said that I should "give it time".....how can I when I'm already struggling!?
    I would have given no stars if I could.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is...listen to your employees. Take the time to properly train your employees. And try to make the restaurant cleaner than it is. You have lost not only someone who was more than willing to work, but a customer!

3. "waste of time"

Former Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Fun job, light atmosphere

Cons

Only female in the workplace, men constantly flirting, not professional. I wouldn't recommend a woman to work there.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to have emotional attachments to your female employees

4. "District manager was unprofessional. Felt like I was walking on eggshells the whole time"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food. Helped myself to numerous cases of chicken wings and other items

Cons

No professionalism. Upper management only cared about numbers. Was forced to work while I had the flu (which I'm sure the health department doesn't care for)

Advice to Management

Stop being so heartless.

5. "Good first job, just don't make a career out of it"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

it's a job. free pizza/drinks

Cons

Upper management for this company owned store in Charlotte, NC was incompetent (and i'm being nice). no room for constructive feedback. District Managers and General Managers only cared about numbers. The District Manager in charge of my store had no idea what he was doing and openly bashed the previous DM (even though the previous DM got a promotion). Employees were repeatedly reminded that they were expendable. Pay was not acceptable for what was required from management. Bonuses were unattainable. Driver's are repeatedly getting the short end. Papa John should be ashamed of himself for how his corporate run stores are operating.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, who help make you the money, as people and not numbers. Listen to constructive criticism from the people on the front lines. Pay management better. Maybe John Schnatter should take that billion dollars in profits and invest it into paying his employees better. Better pay, better employees.

"Sucks"

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Drivers spend much of their time alone in their cars.
    Bizarre things happen that you just could not make up - sometimes they're funny.

Cons

It is difficult to go to work everyday for a company that has so clearly shown its disdain for the people on their front line.

Advice to Management

Employee morale at the unit level is at a catastrophic low, and with good reason. The disconnect between Louisville and the individual units has become a canyon.

Showing 6 of 1,723 reviews