Papa John's Reviews in Charlotte, NC | Glassdoor

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you are a delivery driver you will accumulate wear and tear on your car fairly quickly (in 52 reviews)

• You get paid under minimum wage because you are a tipped employee (in 92 reviews)

"Sucks"

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Drivers spend much of their time alone in their cars.
    Bizarre things happen that you just could not make up - sometimes they're funny.

Cons

It is difficult to go to work everyday for a company that has so clearly shown its disdain for the people on their front line.

Advice to Management

Employee morale at the unit level is at a catastrophic low, and with good reason. The disconnect between Louisville and the individual units has become a canyon.

2. "Good first job, just don't make a career out of it"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

it's a job. free pizza/drinks

Cons

Upper management for this company owned store in Charlotte, NC was incompetent (and i'm being nice). no room for constructive feedback. District Managers and General Managers only cared about numbers. The District Manager in charge of my store had no idea what he was doing and openly bashed the previous DM (even though the previous DM got a promotion). Employees were repeatedly reminded that they were expendable. Pay was not acceptable for what was required from management. Bonuses were unattainable. Driver's are repeatedly getting the short end. Papa John should be ashamed of himself for how his corporate run stores are operating.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, who help make you the money, as people and not numbers. Listen to constructive criticism from the people on the front lines. Pay management better. Maybe John Schnatter should take that billion dollars in profits and invest it into paying his employees better. Better pay, better employees.

3. "District manager was unprofessional. Felt like I was walking on eggshells the whole time"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food. Helped myself to numerous cases of chicken wings and other items

Cons

No professionalism. Upper management only cared about numbers. Was forced to work while I had the flu (which I'm sure the health department doesn't care for)

Advice to Management

Stop being so heartless.

4. "waste of time"

Former Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Fun job, light atmosphere

Cons

Only female in the workplace, men constantly flirting, not professional. I wouldn't recommend a woman to work there.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to have emotional attachments to your female employees

5. "HORRIBLE! Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Belmont, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Belmont, NC

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro that I would say that I found in this job...is the location and hours. I was five minutes or less from this location, so it was easy getting to work. The hours also allowed me to work after school during the week. Weekly pay was also good, but I was not there enough to really see what my check would look like.

Cons

Where do I begin?? There are so many cons. First of all, I am in college for long hours. When I got this job, I was under the impression that they would be more understanding. But they were not. They fired me because I was a "no call" for two days, when I did call and make an effort to come in.
    Second, their restaurant is NASTY! I would walk in and see trash everywhere! I was appalled at what I saw, and was wondering why this location did not get a lower sanitation grade. Plus, people were eating things off of the make line WHILE MAKING PIZZAS. That's gross! I was not trained properly; I was just thrown in to the line without any other type of training. Coming straight from college (which is already overwhelming) to THAT didn't help me learn anything. I always left overwhelmed. And when I spoke to the manager about it, he didn't really help me. Instead, he said that I should "give it time".....how can I when I'm already struggling!?
    I would have given no stars if I could.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is...listen to your employees. Take the time to properly train your employees. And try to make the restaurant cleaner than it is. You have lost not only someone who was more than willing to work, but a customer!

6. "Bland Pizza, Terrible Conditions"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, most of the shift is spent out of sight of management

Cons

Trash wages supplemented only tips. You're relying on the generosity of an increasingly penny-pinching society to make even minimum wage, since the pay on the road is just 4.50 an hour. No benefits for non-fulltimers, obviously, and lol if you're gonna get fulltime without slaving for a year or more.

Advice to Management

Get right with the gods, cause there's no mercy for the likes of ye beyond the veil.

7. "Recessions workers"

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC

Pros

1) get some cash from tips every night, hopefully gas doesn't est into too much.
    2) free pizza to make your kids happy ( occasionally on bad orders)
    3) free slice of pizza if you are not tired of it.
    4) meet plenty of people as the workers come and go ( so do network by all means)..
    5) don't worry about being a felon or a drug test.

Cons

1) opening drivers do all deliveries, make pizza, slap dough, prep food, date and stock, and much more.
    2) closing drivers get to do all deliveries across sectors and then wipe counters, sweep flour from the tile crevices, mop, set up store, and etc. No bonus at all with this extra work.
    3) never get a raise after receiving "you an asset to papa john review."
    4) work well beyond your schedule leave time if it is busy.
    5) wait to clock in if it is slow as much as 2 hours but they want you to wait around off the clock until it business picks up.
    6) Watch your 6 constantly cause it is the 5th most dangerous job to do. Plus it is minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Stop giving to so much to unproven GM and shift leaders that manipulate service percentages by learning passwords, appreciate the bottom so called unskilled workers some bonus as well. They do get the food to the end user.

8. "Company pays less than minimum wage."

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, comfortable shoes, and interesting co-workers.

Cons

Underpaid and undervalued.
    Insane co-workers.

Advice to Management

Employee morale is related to how you treat them.

9. "delivery driver"

I have been working at Papa John's full-time

Pros

U learn team work. Skill set like cleaning cooking, Counting how to communicate with customer & other people. I been there over ten year. It good when u have a good manager who been around a while.

Cons

Turn over rate crazy. So not so many bright light in the building including management. Every blue moon. Customer scamming always wanting food for free. Always over time never any raises. No breaks at all. And because some one decide to still mean no one in the buildings can eat. On a 8 hr+shift. no time, off no vacation. Overall don't care bought employee.

Advice to Management

Be more open with employee as well as break go by the rules papa John's made write up for a reason. Break on in the computer for a reason. Please don't overwhelmed your staff when ur staff is hungry, over work,or sleepy it can be dangerous for driver. Emplament team work.faspac and papa. Store that actually took that seriously I liked working for.

10. "Wouldn't do it again"

Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management pay is decent but you cap out if you're just a shift manager and it's very difficult to get a raise. Drivers make decent money (more than lower management) if full time. Ok for part time students.

Cons

Most stressful environment I've ever worked in. All managers are under the same pressure as the general manager with frequent threats to your job. I know of an employee that passed away from a heart attack while on the job in his late 20's. Another was advised to quit by a doctor after a panic attack in which he thought was a heart attack. They pay GM's less now than they did 3-4 years ago. Terrible hours.

Advice to Management

Give credit where it's due and make every perform equally

Showing 29 of 1,667 reviews