Papa John's Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Pros
  • Busy most times flexible hours and good pay (in 89 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, great co-workers (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are a delivery driver you will accumulate wear and tear on your car fairly quickly (in 50 reviews)

• You get paid under minimum wage because you are a tipped employee (in 83 reviews)

1. "The delivery area and store manager make the job."

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Spring, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My store has a great store manager and is in a densely populated area so I usually make upwards of 20 dollars per hour while taking 15-25 runs per shift.

Mostly relaxed environment for delivery drivers. If we're slow the manager isn't tossing off busy work. I can read or play on my phone.

Very flexible hours that has compliment my busy full-time work and full-time college schedule.

Some shifts are quite short. You will work the rush (usually 5-9pm) and then go home with as much at 75 bucks (sometimes more).

Cons

Papa John's makes no attempt to adequately compensate their employees. Even the managers 10 dollars per hour or less.

Pay is decreased while clocked out on deliveries. Much like restaurants with waiters Papa John's passes the cost of having drivers to the consumer.

$1.15 per delivery taken. Papa John's very covertly lets customers know that the delivery fee doesn't go to the drivers, but half the time it's covered up by stickers and never seen by the customer. Right now gas is cheap, but I drive approximately 2,000 miles per month and that puts a lot of damage on a car in the form of oil changes, new tires more often, and wear and tear. It is my choice to work here, but the extra hourly money that drivers get is far from all profit.

No benefits unless you work over 35 hours, which is often not possible because they send you home early if the store becomes slow.

Given that it's a pizza delivery chain minimum wage job many of the employees are lazy. It makes sense though. Pay minimum wage and get minimum effort.

In order to work full-time and make money it usually means you're working 5-6 nights per week. I had 2 night classes this semester and it usually meant that I was getting home as late as midnight (later on Friday and Saturday) every day of the week. I actually had to request a day off just to be able to have dinner with my grandmother. If you're not working another job or going to night school this might not be an issue.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable. Just because its minimum wage doesn't mean lazy worthless people should keep their jobs. As a manager it's your responsibility to make sure the people who do as little as possible make their way out the door or actually do some work.

2. "Super Cheap Franchise"

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to advance, to a certain point.
    Good bonus structure

Cons

Long hours that are longer than you want.
    Bad pay structure.
    1 day off, if you're lucky

Advice to Management

For the hours and stress required by them, they should have higher salaries for their managers and hold them more accountable for the store rather than making them rely on their bonuses to make a decent living and then negatively reinforcing failures in job duties with high reductions in bonuses.

3. "Fun job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth galore!! If you focus and learn you will advance quickly.

Cons

Eat, breathe, and sleep pizza. Pay is okay but not great.

Advice to Management

Only if you really like the job. Not for those with external responsibilities i.e. Family or school.

5. "Awesome staff, but little pay."

Current Employee - Inside in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Inside in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Boss is slick on choosing work days and has very little problems taking days off. The staff is very friendly as well.

Cons

They do not pay enough and it takes a while to get a raise (probably around a year or so).

Advice to Management

Raise the starting wage

"Low stress job"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Tomball, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Tomball, TX

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low stress job
    Work days are flexible
    Friendly work environment

Cons

Hourly wage is reduced when out for a delivery
    Little compensation for fuel or vehicle maintenance
    Stop and go traffic is hard on your vehicle
    Tips on credit card is taxed
    Outdated computer system
    Would charge employees for fountain drinks
    Manager would throw out pizza instead of giving it to the crew for free
    Deliveries in shady neighborhoods
    Turnover rate is high

Advice to Management

Compensate your drivers more instead of relying on tips to cover our expenses.

7. "very good and i have learned a lot about pizza business"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

Pros

The growth papa john's is going specially in my work which is million dollars store with more then 500 stores.

Cons

they really don't pay enough their employees even though they are making a lot of money. they pay very poorly their employees

Advice to Management

i really suggest papa john's company to change the way their trade their driver with no insurance so if you get killed you are on your own.

"pay is bad compared to other pizza places and the deliver areas are very large"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

Pros

people and management are great and freindly

Cons

they pay you 7.25 while in the store and only 4.55 when out on delivery- as I see it they are getting away with not paying minimum wage-- and with large delivery areas - you might driverround trip 10 miles or more -- and half the time no tip - or small one- thinking this is not worth it.

Advice to Management

pay should be 7.25 in or out of the store- we are putting our lives and cars on the line each time we leave the store.

9. "Alot to work on.."

Current Employee - In Store in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - In Store in Conroe, TX

Pros

Easy to learn, if people are willing to learn. It's not rocket science to make a pretty pizza, but i enjoy every minute im in the store.

Cons

Not enough hours, I know hours are based on sales volume, But still not enough hours to survive. Too much bickering happens behind peoples backs. If somebody has a problem with what is going on, present the problem up front.

Advice to Management

Re-train drivers to answer phones, know how to work the computer, it never hurts to have a full screen, rather than lines on hold, Papa John's makes its money with a phone call, and if somebody doesnt know how to, or will just not answer the phone because they dont like talking to people, than they are in the wrong business, remember the customer is always right, even if they are dead wrong. Make Pretty Pizza's, get that instilled in everybody's mind, remember its not rocket science to make a pretty pizza....

Showing 8 of 1,441 reviews