Papa John's Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • If you are a delivery driver you will accumulate wear and tear on your car fairly quickly (in 51 reviews)

• You get paid under minimum wage because you are a tipped employee (in 89 reviews)

1. "Papa Johns delivery driver"

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in New Caney, TX
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in New Caney, TX

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job has great job security so there's little chance of getting fired unless you just don't do your job. With how busy the place gets you'll get plenty of hours.

Cons

Being a franchise, the owner is more involved, which in this case isn't good. The place is run poorly with terrible management and employees that don't care about the work they're doing.

2. "Insider"

Former Employee - Insider in Deer Park, TX
    Former Employee - Insider in Deer Park, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the coworkers were very nice, schedule was flexible, and that's about it. Oh and free pizza sometimes, and discounts were nice.

Cons

Not enough pay for the bs I put up with. Literally felt like I was in high school with all the bs drama going on there. Never got off on time. Manager would do he opposite of what I'd ask (asked for more hours, gave me less instead). That kind of stuff. We RARELY got any breaks. Even if I had a 9 hour shift I wouldn't get breaks sometimes.

Advice to Management

Get better managers.

"Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pizza, free food depending on your manager

Cons

At my location, there were flies everywhere; it was awfully dirty. I worked as a delivery driver, and I would never get off shift on time. I would always get off 3-4 hours later.

Advice to Management

Keep clean.

4. "The delivery area and store manager make the job."

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Spring, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My store has a great store manager and is in a densely populated area so I usually make upwards of 20 dollars per hour while taking 15-25 runs per shift.

Mostly relaxed environment for delivery drivers. If we're slow the manager isn't tossing off busy work. I can read or play on my phone.

Very flexible hours that has compliment my busy full-time work and full-time college schedule.

Some shifts are quite short. You will work the rush (usually 5-9pm) and then go home with as much at 75 bucks (sometimes more).

Cons

Papa John's makes no attempt to adequately compensate their employees. Even the managers 10 dollars per hour or less.

Pay is decreased while clocked out on deliveries. Much like restaurants with waiters Papa John's passes the cost of having drivers to the consumer.

$1.15 per delivery taken. Papa John's very covertly lets customers know that the delivery fee doesn't go to the drivers, but half the time it's covered up by stickers and never seen by the customer. Right now gas is cheap, but I drive approximately 2,000 miles per month and that puts a lot of damage on a car in the form of oil changes, new tires more often, and wear and tear. It is my choice to work here, but the extra hourly money that drivers get is far from all profit.

No benefits unless you work over 35 hours, which is often not possible because they send you home early if the store becomes slow.

Given that it's a pizza delivery chain minimum wage job many of the employees are lazy. It makes sense though. Pay minimum wage and get minimum effort.

In order to work full-time and make money it usually means you're working 5-6 nights per week. I had 2 night classes this semester and it usually meant that I was getting home as late as midnight (later on Friday and Saturday) every day of the week. I actually had to request a day off just to be able to have dinner with my grandmother. If you're not working another job or going to night school this might not be an issue.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable. Just because its minimum wage doesn't mean lazy worthless people should keep their jobs. As a manager it's your responsibility to make sure the people who do as little as possible make their way out the door or actually do some work.

5. "Fun job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth galore!! If you focus and learn you will advance quickly.

Cons

Eat, breathe, and sleep pizza. Pay is okay but not great.

Advice to Management

Only if you really like the job. Not for those with external responsibilities i.e. Family or school.

"pay is bad compared to other pizza places and the deliver areas are very large"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

Pros

people and management are great and freindly

Cons

they pay you 7.25 while in the store and only 4.55 when out on delivery- as I see it they are getting away with not paying minimum wage-- and with large delivery areas - you might driverround trip 10 miles or more -- and half the time no tip - or small one- thinking this is not worth it.

Advice to Management

pay should be 7.25 in or out of the store- we are putting our lives and cars on the line each time we leave the store.

Showing 6 of 1,598 reviews