Papa John's Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you are a delivery driver you will accumulate wear and tear on your car fairly quickly (in 52 reviews)

• You get paid under minimum wage because you are a tipped employee (in 90 reviews)

1. "Delivery Driver near Houston Texas"

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Cypress, TX

I worked at Papa John's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main pro is that you get cash daily. You need not wait for your paycheck to have a little pocket money.
    The job isn't stressful if you're good with people. You don't have to bring any worries home.
    You get paid for mileage.
    Finally, there is free food at times. When an order is messed up, or someone cancels, or a manager is just feeling generous, the workers are allowed to eat it.

Cons

The primary con is that it destroys your vehicle. I had never had problems with my vehicle before. Within the six months that I was working there, my car probably was in the shop a dozen times for various problems. Most of the money that I made was funneled into fixing my car so that I could continue to work.

Advice to Management

The amount of people making the pizzas, removing them from the ovens, cutting them, and boxing them needs to be increased. So often the pizzas were going out the door 30 minutes or more after the order had been placed.

2. "Awesome staff, but little pay."

Current Employee - Inside in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Inside in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Boss is slick on choosing work days and has very little problems taking days off. The staff is very friendly as well.

Cons

They do not pay enough and it takes a while to get a raise (probably around a year or so).

Advice to Management

Raise the starting wage

3. "Job has it's pros and cons."

Former Employee - In-Store Worker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - In-Store Worker in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and fun to work at. Most of the people that work here are great and like to have fun while they work.

Cons

The pay starts at around minimum wage and managers and shift leaders do not make much more than that. Though the people here like working, I have often seen a joke taken too far on an employee or costumer.

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on your employees. I've met people who are not always able to handle the tasks at hand and struggle during the busier work days.

"Enjoyable, but no room for growth in the direction I wanted"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free pizza. Laid back co-workers, Made okay money. Close to home. Easy job overall. Decent second job.

Cons

Pay goes down when you are on delivery. Tips average 2 dollars. Five mile delivery radius, and only 85 cent per delivery. No room for advancement as a driver.

Advice to Management

Pay your drivers more, they work hard.

"Low stress job"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Tomball, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Tomball, TX

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low stress job
    Work days are flexible
    Friendly work environment

Cons

Hourly wage is reduced when out for a delivery
    Little compensation for fuel or vehicle maintenance
    Stop and go traffic is hard on your vehicle
    Tips on credit card is taxed
    Outdated computer system
    Would charge employees for fountain drinks
    Manager would throw out pizza instead of giving it to the crew for free
    Deliveries in shady neighborhoods
    Turnover rate is high

Advice to Management

Compensate your drivers more instead of relying on tips to cover our expenses.

6. "Fun, relax, easy job. Low ceiling."

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in South Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in South Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most managers will let you eat the delicious pizza for free, hours aren't too late, closing manager and driver are out the door by 12:30.

Cons

Not enough money for gas and wages are low. They paid me 7.50 when I was in the store and 4.75 when out on delivery (you clock in and out). Spend about 70% of time on the road so it's a rip off. Used to be a flat $6.00 wage which was better

Advice to Management

Let the drivers eat free pizza, they get hungry and will generally have more energy and be more willing to do basic jobs around the store

7. "Fun part-time experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Best reasons to work is that you get to meet a lot of people and you are not tied down to a desk all day long

Cons

Some of the downsides include people occupying store management positions may not have proper training, knowledge and/or experience, therefore they make bad decisions

Advice to Management

Provide more training for store management positions where managers can learn some basic principles in managing a small business unit

8. "Alot to work on.."

Current Employee - In Store in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - In Store in Conroe, TX

Pros

Easy to learn, if people are willing to learn. It's not rocket science to make a pretty pizza, but i enjoy every minute im in the store.

Cons

Not enough hours, I know hours are based on sales volume, But still not enough hours to survive. Too much bickering happens behind peoples backs. If somebody has a problem with what is going on, present the problem up front.

Advice to Management

Re-train drivers to answer phones, know how to work the computer, it never hurts to have a full screen, rather than lines on hold, Papa John's makes its money with a phone call, and if somebody doesnt know how to, or will just not answer the phone because they dont like talking to people, than they are in the wrong business, remember the customer is always right, even if they are dead wrong. Make Pretty Pizza's, get that instilled in everybody's mind, remember its not rocket science to make a pretty pizza....

Showing 8 of 1,635 reviews