Papa John's Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Pros
Cons
  • If you are a delivery driver you will accumulate wear and tear on your car fairly quickly (in 50 reviews)

• You get paid under minimum wage because you are a tipped employee (in 85 reviews)

1. "Well, I quit after one week."

Former Employee - Phone Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Phone Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is easy if you have good training, I'm sure.

Cons

However, I never got trained. So, they threw me in when I was clueless and took money from my first paycheck for messing up my first order.

Also, the employees are talk bad about the managers and complain a lot...it is the food industry though so you get what you get.

Advice to Management

Be more professional and respectful. It was my first job experience and I felt awful for screwing up...until I realized it wasn't my fault. Take the time to train your employees.

2. "Wouldnt wish working here on my worse enemy."

Former Employee - Slave in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Slave in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free pizza if your boss is cool.

Cons

minimum wage to do 5 different jobs all at once. A promotion gets you 8 an hour. Customers are rude. Direct management is rude but thats probably because their bosses are terrible. Deliver pizzas or dont work here

Advice to Management

Humans aren't robots. Papa Johns is modern slavery.

3. "I wish less than 1 star was "a thing""

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Friendswood, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Friendswood, TX

Pros

You can take home cash daily.

Cons

$4.55 per hour when on deliveries($7.25 when in store) plus all tips made and deducted from you check. Management doesn't want to pay you for hours worked & there's no dispute resolution policy. Long hours with no breaks or lunches.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay to at least minimum wage & instate an open door policy.

5. "Super Cheap Franchise"

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to advance, to a certain point.
    Good bonus structure

Cons

Long hours that are longer than you want.
    Bad pay structure.
    1 day off, if you're lucky

Advice to Management

For the hours and stress required by them, they should have higher salaries for their managers and hold them more accountable for the store rather than making them rely on their bonuses to make a decent living and then negatively reinforcing failures in job duties with high reductions in bonuses.

6. "Don't work for franchise"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's full-time

Pros

Easy to work up to management position

Cons

Only paid $8.25 for management requiring you to close most of the nights and deal with crappy customers.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth

"DON'T"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free pizza (free heart attack), so terrible you have no problem telling the GM whats on your mind.

Cons

Everything. Minimum wage. Stupid management. Stupid co workers. Constantly under staffed. Blatantly obvious the higher up don't care about there employees.

Advice to Management

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I'd rather watch it all burn to the ground.

"pay is bad compared to other pizza places and the deliver areas are very large"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

Pros

people and management are great and freindly

Cons

they pay you 7.25 while in the store and only 4.55 when out on delivery- as I see it they are getting away with not paying minimum wage-- and with large delivery areas - you might driverround trip 10 miles or more -- and half the time no tip - or small one- thinking this is not worth it.

Advice to Management

pay should be 7.25 in or out of the store- we are putting our lives and cars on the line each time we leave the store.

9. "Fun job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth galore!! If you focus and learn you will advance quickly.

Cons

Eat, breathe, and sleep pizza. Pay is okay but not great.

Advice to Management

Only if you really like the job. Not for those with external responsibilities i.e. Family or school.

10. "The delivery area and store manager make the job."

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Spring, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My store has a great store manager and is in a densely populated area so I usually make upwards of 20 dollars per hour while taking 15-25 runs per shift.

Mostly relaxed environment for delivery drivers. If we're slow the manager isn't tossing off busy work. I can read or play on my phone.

Very flexible hours that has compliment my busy full-time work and full-time college schedule.

Some shifts are quite short. You will work the rush (usually 5-9pm) and then go home with as much at 75 bucks (sometimes more).

Cons

Papa John's makes no attempt to adequately compensate their employees. Even the managers 10 dollars per hour or less.

Pay is decreased while clocked out on deliveries. Much like restaurants with waiters Papa John's passes the cost of having drivers to the consumer.

$1.15 per delivery taken. Papa John's very covertly lets customers know that the delivery fee doesn't go to the drivers, but half the time it's covered up by stickers and never seen by the customer. Right now gas is cheap, but I drive approximately 2,000 miles per month and that puts a lot of damage on a car in the form of oil changes, new tires more often, and wear and tear. It is my choice to work here, but the extra hourly money that drivers get is far from all profit.

No benefits unless you work over 35 hours, which is often not possible because they send you home early if the store becomes slow.

Given that it's a pizza delivery chain minimum wage job many of the employees are lazy. It makes sense though. Pay minimum wage and get minimum effort.

In order to work full-time and make money it usually means you're working 5-6 nights per week. I had 2 night classes this semester and it usually meant that I was getting home as late as midnight (later on Friday and Saturday) every day of the week. I actually had to request a day off just to be able to have dinner with my grandmother. If you're not working another job or going to night school this might not be an issue.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable. Just because its minimum wage doesn't mean lazy worthless people should keep their jobs. As a manager it's your responsibility to make sure the people who do as little as possible make their way out the door or actually do some work.

"Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pizza, free food depending on your manager

Cons

At my location, there were flies everywhere; it was awfully dirty. I worked as a delivery driver, and I would never get off shift on time. I would always get off 3-4 hours later.

Advice to Management

Keep clean.

Showing 26 of 1,477 reviews