Papa John's Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Papa John's Founder, Chairman, and CEO John H. Schnatter
John H. Schnatter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Wear and tear on vehicle (obviously) (in 55 reviews)

• You get paid under minimum wage because you are a tipped employee (in 94 reviews)

1. "job seeker"

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

traveling in car and not standing in the same place the whole time

Cons

some nights people won't tip you enough, so you have to find a way to be happy by making 5$ hour

2. "Papa John's pizza delivery driver"

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Pearland, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and good benefits

Cons

Too many complaints, bad management, unorganized

3. "Papa Johns delivery driver"

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in New Caney, TX
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in New Caney, TX

I have been working at Papa John's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job has great job security so there's little chance of getting fired unless you just don't do your job. With how busy the place gets you'll get plenty of hours.

Cons

Being a franchise, the owner is more involved, which in this case isn't good. The place is run poorly with terrible management and employees that don't care about the work they're doing.

4. "Delivery Driver near Houston Texas"

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Cypress, TX

I worked at Papa John's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main pro is that you get cash daily. You need not wait for your paycheck to have a little pocket money.
    The job isn't stressful if you're good with people. You don't have to bring any worries home.
    You get paid for mileage.
    Finally, there is free food at times. When an order is messed up, or someone cancels, or a manager is just feeling generous, the workers are allowed to eat it.

Cons

The primary con is that it destroys your vehicle. I had never had problems with my vehicle before. Within the six months that I was working there, my car probably was in the shop a dozen times for various problems. Most of the money that I made was funneled into fixing my car so that I could continue to work.

Advice to Management

The amount of people making the pizzas, removing them from the ovens, cutting them, and boxing them needs to be increased. So often the pizzas were going out the door 30 minutes or more after the order had been placed.

"DON'T"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free pizza (free heart attack), so terrible you have no problem telling the GM whats on your mind.

Cons

Everything. Minimum wage. Stupid management. Stupid co workers. Constantly under staffed. Blatantly obvious the higher up don't care about there employees.

Advice to Management

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I'd rather watch it all burn to the ground.

6. "Don't work for franchise"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's full-time

Pros

Easy to work up to management position

Cons

Only paid $8.25 for management requiring you to close most of the nights and deal with crappy customers.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth

7. "Driver"

Former Employee - Driver in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Driver in Houston, TX

Pros

Easy work, good pay, nice co- workers.

Cons

Pay be can slow at times. Damage to vehicles and no gas compensation

Advice to Management

Try not to schedule too many drivers on slow days.

8. "Insider"

Former Employee - Insider in Deer Park, TX
    Former Employee - Insider in Deer Park, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the coworkers were very nice, schedule was flexible, and that's about it. Oh and free pizza sometimes, and discounts were nice.

Cons

Not enough pay for the bs I put up with. Literally felt like I was in high school with all the bs drama going on there. Never got off on time. Manager would do he opposite of what I'd ask (asked for more hours, gave me less instead). That kind of stuff. We RARELY got any breaks. Even if I had a 9 hour shift I wouldn't get breaks sometimes.

Advice to Management

Get better managers.

"Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Houston, TX

I worked at Papa John's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pizza, free food depending on your manager

Cons

At my location, there were flies everywhere; it was awfully dirty. I worked as a delivery driver, and I would never get off shift on time. I would always get off 3-4 hours later.

Advice to Management

Keep clean.

10. "The delivery area and store manager make the job."

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Spring, TX

I have been working at Papa John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My store has a great store manager and is in a densely populated area so I usually make upwards of 20 dollars per hour while taking 15-25 runs per shift.

Mostly relaxed environment for delivery drivers. If we're slow the manager isn't tossing off busy work. I can read or play on my phone.

Very flexible hours that has compliment my busy full-time work and full-time college schedule.

Some shifts are quite short. You will work the rush (usually 5-9pm) and then go home with as much at 75 bucks (sometimes more).

Cons

Papa John's makes no attempt to adequately compensate their employees. Even the managers 10 dollars per hour or less.

Pay is decreased while clocked out on deliveries. Much like restaurants with waiters Papa John's passes the cost of having drivers to the consumer.

$1.15 per delivery taken. Papa John's very covertly lets customers know that the delivery fee doesn't go to the drivers, but half the time it's covered up by stickers and never seen by the customer. Right now gas is cheap, but I drive approximately 2,000 miles per month and that puts a lot of damage on a car in the form of oil changes, new tires more often, and wear and tear. It is my choice to work here, but the extra hourly money that drivers get is far from all profit.

No benefits unless you work over 35 hours, which is often not possible because they send you home early if the store becomes slow.

Given that it's a pizza delivery chain minimum wage job many of the employees are lazy. It makes sense though. Pay minimum wage and get minimum effort.

In order to work full-time and make money it usually means you're working 5-6 nights per week. I had 2 night classes this semester and it usually meant that I was getting home as late as midnight (later on Friday and Saturday) every day of the week. I actually had to request a day off just to be able to have dinner with my grandmother. If you're not working another job or going to night school this might not be an issue.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable. Just because its minimum wage doesn't mean lazy worthless people should keep their jobs. As a manager it's your responsibility to make sure the people who do as little as possible make their way out the door or actually do some work.

Showing 29 of 1,724 reviews