Papa Murphys Reviews | Glassdoor

Papa Murphys Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy hours, flexible schedule, great owners (in 25 reviews)

• easy job not much to think about (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay but what can you expect from a job such as this (in 19 reviews)

• Also the pay is minimum wage, but I was able to get a raise six months into the position (in 19 reviews)

1. "Pizza Artist/Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rolla, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rolla, MO

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Papa Murphy's I was responsible for many important tasks such as prepping and sheeting the pizza dough, cutting fresh produce, and opening and closing the store.

Cons

All around Papa Murphy's was a wonderful working enviorment. The only problem was the small workplace making it difficult to work with more then 2 people in the back.

2. "feisty247"

Current Employee - Key Holder/Shift Supervisor in Yakima, WA
    Current Employee - Key Holder/Shift Supervisor in Yakima, WA

I have been working at Papa Murphys (More than a year)

Pros

The owner is an amazing man. The management team is fun and amazing to work for.

Cons

Lack of available hours to offer employees

3. "Great work-life balance, little growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Spanaway, WA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Spanaway, WA

I have been working at Papa Murphys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Experience in a fast-paced environment
    -One free break pizza a shift
    -Building relationships with customers
    -Employee discounts
    -Great flexibility with school and personal responsibilities
    -You get more of the hours you want when you gain more skills / seniority

Cons

Short-term:

-Hard to receive timely breaks during busy days / dinner time
    -Routines can get monotonous
    -Have to hustle for hours during Summer
    -Expect to work most weekends

Personal long-term con:

The most difficult part for me, is wanting to at least learn more about management and gain more skills, but managers are unwilling to train you because they don't see you staying much longer. In my experience, I have been with the company for almost 5 years as a shift supervisor, yet somehow I'm assumed to be someone who "won't be with the company much longer." I guess you should be careful with sharing your achievements and aspirations with your managers or else you can risk being seen as a waste of time for any further promotions beyond Shift Supervisor. I've been passed-up on multiple assistant manager promotions, yet I've helped train all of those who got the position instead.

Advice to Management

Continue to train every one of your employees like you expect them to be a manager one day. You will not feel overworked when your employees eventually work as hard as you do.

4. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No ovens or fryers, simple closing.

Cons

Overworked and understaffed much of the time.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to invest in some labor.

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff was very supportive in the beginning.

Cons

There was not enough training for the amount of production needed.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring unreliable felons.

6. "Superviser"

Former Employee - Teller in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Chico, CA

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of us at work would hang out outside of work, have party's and get together all the time and we would get along like family.

Cons

Drama, all the time there was drama with someone. Managers were very immature and didn't know how to only be a boss without trying to be friends and get involved in ways they shouldn't.

Advice to Management

Don't try to be friends with your employees. Treat them equal. Don't be that lazy manager. Just do your job.

7. "Current employee of one year. Was hired as a Shift Leader, currently a General Manager."

Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Augustine, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Augustine, FL

I have been working at Papa Murphys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great first time food handling experience job for those who are interested in the restauraunts industry, as well as great first time food management experience job. Fun and fast environment where each day is different.

Cons

Lower volume compared to other food chains means more stringent number crunching. Marketing team either messes up frequently or doesn't focus on promoting growing areas, thus failing those in the stores. Faster promotions means faster, lazier training. Sloppy corporate structure that clearly tries to take queues from other pizza chains such as Domino's, but falls short due to it being an entirely different restaurant experience. Puts an emphasis on having customers order online or through the app - but the website frequently goes down for days at a time, and neither the online or the app offers as many combinations as coming in store does.

Advice to Management

- At least one month of training should be required for every General Manager in order to fully understand the Menulink and Ultipro system, as well as give advice on how to meet your specific stores sales and labor needs. Each market should have at least one person dedicated specifically to training management.
    - Online ordering should be more intuitive for customers. It currently doesn't have several toppings as options such as jalapeño, and half in half options become tedious.
    - To promote more positive use for the application, Papa Murphys should transition their Customer Reward stamp cards into a digital format. Not only are ordering the stamp cards a waste of money for a company that already has several struggling markets, it makes it easier for the customers to track their loyalty. Since the application already has previously used card information on hand if a profile is created, a customer could get a digital stamp with every purchase on said card.
    - MARKETING should market our business - NOT Area Supervisors, General Managers, or hourly workers! While I have no issue with promoting my store and taking part in fundraisers to become a member of the community, I, and any store worker, should not make marketing our company their top priority - especially since the market I'm in is still new (under 5 years). We, as a new brand in the area, should be focusing on customer satisfaction and speed of service above all else. Our success SHOULD be a top priority to the marketing team, who is frequently absent.

8. "Great job for student"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Papa Murphys full-time

Pros

I worked here for a long time and loved it. My coworkers and managers were awesome and we had a lot of fun. You'll meet a lot of regular customers who become friends. The job is easy, but you will gain great work experience that will help you grow both personally and professionally.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, little advancement opportunities. This job is great for students and young people, but the management in my area has become terrible. They used to be great but now they hire bottom of the barrel managers who treat their employees like crap. They sell expired food and expect you to just deal with it. If you find a store that has a good manager, it's a great job! Where I worked was great for a long time until they made some store manager and upper management changes.

Advice to Management

Start hiring respectable people to be your store managers and treat your employees better (especially the ones who have worked there for a long time and put in a lot of hard work there)

9. "Work place"

Current Employee - Ctew in Rice Lake, WI
    Current Employee - Ctew in Rice Lake, WI

I have been working at Papa Murphys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is always something to do the time goes by fast .its a great place to work. I like it because there's never a dull moment.and its nice to have a job I can finaly say I like . and I like the.people that I work with .l like my managers.. I can tell u its a fun place to work and u will meet some great people and good people skills

Cons

There isn't really anything bad to say . some days its hard because ,not everyone pulls there wait or goes on brake when.every they want . a little better pay would be nice ...

10. "Friendly co-workers, great food!"

Former Employee - Team Member in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Papa Murphys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, great discount, bright and modern atmosphere, clean work environment, Great manager.

Cons

Would've wanted much more hours, and to spread that between less staff members.

Advice to Management

Emphasize rewarding best employees with greater number of hours. (I understand this wasn't really all the manager's fault though with high turnover)