Papaya Studio Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Programmer"

Former Employee - Game Programmer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Game Programmer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Papaya Studio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot in this company. I got to work on some very cool IPs. My Technical Director and management treated me well with decent paid and well defined role and freedom.

Cons

there are a lot of long hours, but most of the game companies are that way. At least Papaya gave out overtime pay and bonuses. The other companies I worked never paid overtime.

Advice to Management

More frequent reviews on status of my work and progress. I would like to get more feedback on how I did. I also wish there are more time on the game development. but I understand it depends on the publishers.

2. "Unhealthy working conditions, good hands on experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

The hands on, technical experience you get is very valuable if it's your first job, although the same could be said for most companies in the industry. A lot is expected of you, forcing you to learn much, which will prove handy for your portfolio when interviewing for your next job. The employees are creative and most have been friendly. The office is next to a grocery store and some good, affordable restaurants. Irvine is also one of the safest cities in the country.

Cons

Hours are extremely long, and overtime is unpaid. You are expected to work overtime on a daily basis, regardless of the need to do so, and leaving on time is frowned upon. Several consecutive weekends of continuous work is also expected at later stages of a project. Upper management is extremely disrespectful and unprofessional at times, creating hostility and negativity that demoralizes the team. Threats, insults, and false promises made by upper management are the norm. Salary reviews rarely occur, even when promised. Major lay offs happen at the end of a project, regardless of the long hours, hard effort, and loyalty exhibited by the employees. Disobeying the company's expectations of showing up for work on weekends or not working overtime during the week will put you on top of the lay offs list.

Advice to Management

Management should treat their employees with respect. There is a large gap where reward should be. If you're going to give out a bonus, don't make it conditional that the employee must sign a contract to work for a specified length of time at the company or hand back the check if they decide to leave. That's not a bonus. It's just another salary contract.

3. "Papaya Studio"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Creative, friendly people, pet-friendly, family-game developer, modern, clean facilities, pretty view of the mountains when you drive off the 5 freeway. It's a place to go if you're new to the industry and want to get your foot in the door.

Cons

3 month evalulation w. no benefits before they bring you on full-time, no 401K benefits are offered, you're not working on AAA games, not a lot of experienced people there. The expectation is that you'll spend a lot of time at the office.

Advice to Management

I don't think they care to hear about how they run their business. They get the job done on the cheap, and as long as it keeps the lights on until the next project, they're happy.

5. "Talented crew, poor executive management"

Pros

Fun projects, a good collection of creative, talented people with a desire to make great games.

Cons

Short deadlines, even for this industry. Long working hours as a result of short deadlines and moving target direction from executive management. Executive management was schizophrenic, pleasant and understanding one day, volatile and abusive the next.

Advice to Management

Don't over commit to publishers, promising projects for less money and less time than needed. It burns out your employees and burns bridges with publishers, ultimately harming the company's reputation.