Pape-Dawson Engineers Reviews | Glassdoor

Pape-Dawson Engineers Chief Executive Officer Sam Dawson
Sam Dawson

1. Featured Review

"Personable, Family-Oriented Company"

Pros

Working for Pape-Dawson has shown me just how personable and family-oriented a company can be. They truly believe in a balance between work and personal life because they understand the importance of family and well being. Even among coworkers there is a community bond because we all help, support, and guide one another through projects and tasks. Pape-Dawson understands it's the people that make up the company and together we create a mutually beneficial relationship with each other, our clients, and our community.

Cons

This is a relatively fast-paced work environment, so if you're lackadaisical you may want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Continue doing a great job of representing your strong leadership by demonstrating your knowledge and experience as well as guiding your peers through all processes with equality and patience.

Oct 24, 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience at Pape-Dawson. We are happy to have you as a part of the Pape-Dawson family!

2. "A Hard Working Company"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pape-Dawson Engineers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great company to work for.
    If you come here to work hard, the owners and management with take care of you.
    They are very understanding to family needs. If you prove yourself and have patience you'll see your career grow. With my years of working on numerous projects. My VP and Senior VP has gain the confidence in me to have great freedom to express my skills and abilities.
    I am very happy in the group I work for.

Cons

No real cons here. Just a some words of advice. It matters in which VP & Senior VP group you work for. Most are great but others are rude and narrow minded.
    **This company is not for you if you can't work hard.

Advice to Management

nothing for now.

Nov 21, 2016

Thank you for working for Pape-Dawson for over ten years! We are happy to have you as part of the team and appreciate your feedback.

3. "Engineer"

I have been working at Pape-Dawson Engineers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pape-Dawson truly respects and cares for their people. They make just about every effort to see that their employees are not only just turning work over, but thriving as well. Whether this includes setting up trainings and workshops so employees can learn more specific skills or simply encouraging a healthy work-life balance, Pape-Dawson encourages people to be their best self. This company also cares largely for the community around them, making them not only a highly respected engineering firm but also a source of positive impact for several charities.

Cons

Slight growing pains in standardizing satellite offices.

Nov 29, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback! As you know, our mission statement includes, "provide an environment that encourages employee development and satisfaction." We will continue to work ... More

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Pape-Dawson Engineers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse staff, maintains a variety of projects and workload is stable, Austin office is a fun environment. Company pushes to give back to the community through charity and volunteer time. Benefits are good and so is pay.

Cons

Can be too conservative. Using new technology is discouraged. Not leading edge. Vacation time isn't great.

Dec 8, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback!

6. "great company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Pape-Dawson Engineers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great company, health plan great for singles!

Cons

traditional, some people don't like that. I didn't mind

Advice to Management

none

Nov 21, 2016

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

7. "Reputable and community-oriented company"

Former Employee - Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Pape-Dawson Engineers (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits if you are a full time employee. They were willing to work around my schedule as a student. It is a community-based, collaborative work space; nearly all employees work in cubicles that are only chest high, so it's easy to talk to others around the office. Almost everyone has a cubicle buddy within the same work space. The people at the San Antonio office were very nice and inviting. Both Sam and Gene Dawson came to introduce themselves and talk with me at my cubicle, they are both kind and seemed genuinely interested. The company is very involved in the community and hosts employee volunteer opportunities on a regular basis.

Cons

Limited privacy because of the cubicle layout. Although this is listed as a pro, it could also be a con on some days.

Nov 21, 2016

We are very pleased that you had a positive internship experience with Pape-Dawson, and we appreciate you sharing your feedback with us!

8. "Pape-Dawson Review"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pape-Dawson Engineers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, starting at the top. Humble, selfless and experienced leadership help build strong engineers and employees. Professional work environment and up-to-date technology throughout the building allows me to maximize my capabilities and efficiency. Pape-Dawson continuously provides training to its employees to build their growth.

My experience from working for two other engineering firms other than Pape-Dawson is that PD provides excellent benefits, including overtime pay and generous end-of-year bonuses. Other perks include annual picnic and Christmas party, Spurs tickets (along with other local sporting events), rodeo and broadway tickets.

Pape-Dawson values itself in being involved in the community through volunteering just as much as it does in the work we put out, which speaks volumes to the character of the firm.

Cons

Cannot use PE stamp on projects as this is designated for upper management.

Advice to Management

Keep your team involved in the big picture of projects, not just individual tasks to get the job done. This helps keep them engaged and motivated.

Maintain a selfless attitude with your team and put them above yourself. This helps them feel valued and builds trust.

Nov 21, 2016

Thank you for your feedback!

9. "Family First Engineering Firm"

Current Employee - Engineer I in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer I in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Pape-Dawson Engineers, Inc. and its officers truly appreciate the importance of the work/home life balance. They have created a family oriented environment both in and out of the office. Most teams have established a real comradery or “family-like” bond that makes for a very enjoyable, gratifying workplace. Pape-Dawson holds/sponsors several different social clubs or events because they understand that the social atmosphere of a work place is equally important as the professional setting. Pape-Dawson prides itself on its character and moral integrity which is made clear by its long lasting professional relationships and its community involvement.

Cons

Not really a con but; if your work ethic is careless or halfhearted Pape-Dawson might not be the right fit.

Oct 24, 2016

Thank you for your feedback! Our company mission statement includes "nurturing trusting relationships." We look forward to strengthening this bond with employees like you.

10. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Pape-Dawson Engineers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Papa Dawson I've had the opportunity to work on large project around San Antonio that smaller engineering companies would not see.

Being a large engineering company with multiple in-house engineering, environmental and survey disciplines there is always someone that can help answer a question you don't know that may pop up on a project.

Cons

-Once you become a project engineer the pace to be promoted is slow.
    -Headphone are not supposed to be used during regular business ours.

Dec 8, 2016

Thank you for your dedication, and we appreciate your feedback. Please keep it coming!

11. "Worth it in the long run"

Current Employee - CADD Tech in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - CADD Tech in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Pape-Dawson Engineers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Talented Staff
    -Volunteer opportunities
    -Annual family picnic and Christmas party
    -CEO
    -Family oriented

Cons

-Career advancement
    -Politics
    -Several VP
    -Lack of Communication
    -Stress
    -Not being able to listen to music

Advice to Management

-Provide more Training
    -Create a career path
    -Promote within instead of hiring new people
    -Increase salary to match competition in town
    -Take care of your heavy lifters!

Dec 8, 2016

Long-term employees such as yourself have made Pape-Dawson who we are today. Thank you for your dedication and for taking the time to write a review.