Paradise Point Resort & Spa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Paradise Point Resort & Spa Managing Director Richard N. McLennan
Richard N. McLennan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Bad Changes in Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the managers/staff are positive people and really do want the best for Paradise Point and their co-workers.

Cons

Low paying, long hours. There was a lot of finger pointing when I was there, and the famous "that's not my job". Tough property to manage.

Advice to Management

Pay your ppl more

2. "Manager"

I worked at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working at paradise. They treat you like a work Horse 🐴

Cons

No traning for managers, write you up for anything.

3. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pacific Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pacific Beach, CA

I have been working at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic location, free food, employee discounts

Cons

LOOOOONG hours, no bonuses, low starting salary

Advice to Management

Pay higher salaries to retain better employees

"Paradise Beginnings"

I have been working at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I must say as every job has its ups and downs, but who gets to say that they work in Paradise?! The property is amazing and it continues to get better with every step it takes. Its gone under and continues to go under new management which brings new faces, new beginnings and almost a fresh start. With the new management team they have restructured the property and created new core values that encourages employees to be positive and balance work with personal life.
    The department I work in brings in so much joy and laughter that its almost hard to get serious and get work done. Like any job its your attitude that you bring to the table day after day that makes work enjoyable. The Management and executive team strive to listen to all employees. The HR or people service team is there to support you, whether it be issues and complaints or successes. Its always a plus when you feel comfortable enough to walk to your GM or other managers and trust that they are there to listen.

Cons

Traffic can get a bit crazy in the area especially during the summer time or school breaks. I am not sure if this pertains to Paradise Point or the dynamics of the area but people call out a lot which puts an unneeded stress on everyone else (I guess this is not really Paradise Point and its just the people).

Advice to Management

Create more action plans for growth for ALL employees to move up within the property or even company. This can even be outlined for each job and customized to the individual. This should be give to employees at orientation or sometime within their 90 days. If people are hired with the intent that you would like them to move up and improve then they would want to improve and stay working for the property as a whole and not as a single department or selfish individual.

Aug 21, 2017 – People Services Representative

Thank you for the detailed feedback regarding your career at Paradise Point. As you pointed out, the resort has seen a lot of development within the past year. Growing pains can be tough, but they... More

5. "Some benefits, some things to work on"

Former Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other reviews were definitely right in that the coworkers are a pro. There are some awesome people who work here. Location is a big plus and incentive programs in some departments are a plus.

Cons

There were a lot of changes that happened between 2016-2017 and are probably still going on. Some people can keep up with change, some can't. There is a big focus on core values, but senior management talks about the core values and shoves them down your throat instead of just living the core values day to day.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced directors who've been in their position before and actually know what they're doing

Aug 21, 2017 – People Services Representative

Thank you for your honest feedback! We're glad you had a positive experience working at Paradise Point and enjoyed both your department's incentive program and working with other associates. We seek... More

6. "Don't bother working for this company"

I have been working at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time

Pros

There isn't much but Co-workers and location

Cons

Management, pay, work conditions, lack of leadership, work life balance, work environment

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees, and be upfront and honest with them. Live your core beliefs, don't just say them

Aug 21, 2017 – People Services Representative

While we're glad you enjoy working with other Paradise employees and our location on Mission Bay, we're disappointed to see that there are quite a few cons regarding your current position. While we... More

7. "Don't do it"

I have been working at Paradise Point Resort & Spa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll meet great co workers

Cons

Won't have a life. No one cares about your life. Everything has to be about them

Advice to Management

Management is the worst starting with human resources

Aug 21, 2017 – People Services Representative

Thank you for your feedback. While we're glad to see that you enjoy working with other Paradise associates, we're extremely disappointed to see that you feel you're not cared about as one of our... More

"Improvements Leading to a Fun and Productive Environment"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paradise Point has experienced gradual changes at both a property and corporate level (with Two Roads Hospitality), which is creating a work environment that's both more organized and more fun than it has been in the past. Positive changes I've seen have been an increase in communication, increase in attention to detail, increase in follow-through on major projects and increase in employees just loving where they work.

Other pros: location (the resort is located on its own island), benefits (all medical, dental, 401k, fitness programs, free parking, free food, and use of gym for managers), incentive plans for all departments, employee recognition programs (associate of the month/leader of the quarter), and the people.

Cons

Improvements can only happen with change. Change and transition can be difficult for some, so those who don't do well in a fast-paced, flexible environment might not enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Continue encouraging the open forum that has been created. Listen to all employee concerns, suggestions and questions. Continue offering employee incentives and making improvements when needed.

Aug 21, 2017 – People Services Representative

We appreciate your detailed feedback and are glad to see that you're a fan of some of the changes taking place. As we continue to grow, we're excited to continue listening to our associates and build... More

9. "Nightmare"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people on the ground and entry level are really hard working people, and it's a beautiful place in a beautiful city

Cons

Horrible management. Owners who probably don't care at all about hotels and hospitality and are just wanting to make a buck. They would never cut the sales department but they'll just cut to the bone the guest service ppl who have to put out all the fires once the guests arrive. They leave management jobs in this area open for months and when they do get around to filling it it's with someone terrible. But the sales people are all happy!

Advice to Management

Quit.

Aug 21, 2017 – People Services Representative

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. While we're glad you've had a positive experience with other associates and enjoy the resort's location, we're disappointed to see that you feel... More

"Paradise Point on the UPSWING!"

Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Paradise Point Resort & Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome NEW management! The restructure has made a huge difference in everything!

Cons

Needs a remodel- which it is scheduled for.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!