Paragon Legal Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 20, 2019

4.7
Mae Tai O'Malley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Team to Work With"

Former Employee - Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Paragon Legal Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional, Choose hours and position

Cons

none that I could see

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do

Sep 3, 2018 – Founder/Managing Attorney

Thank you for the positive feedback. We will keep doing what we do!

2. "Good Place For Contract Attorneys"

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Counsel in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly fast at placing you in assignments. Interesting companies to work for.

Cons

Competing against other Paragon attorneys. Not the flexibility of permanent job.

3. "Good for part time gigs"

Current Employee - Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paragon has a good reputation and the pay is decent

Cons

Not ideal if you want steady employment

Sep 3, 2018 – Founder/Managing Attorney

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I'm glad you've had a positive experience at Paragon. Regarding your comment "not ideal if you want steady employment", as we've been extremely busy... More

4. "Highly Recommended - Great Management, Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Paragon Legal Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome management team - small but mighty. From the top down, they're very responsive, respectful, warm, and genuinely caring (not a word you typically see thrown around legal industry reviews). In short, they do the right thing for their staff and you really feel they have your back. Every Paragon attorney I've met has been down-to-earth, smart, friendly, and a reflection of the people-first culture at Paragon. I was only on one project through Paragon, but all steps of the process from onboarding to exit were handled smoothly and without any surprises. I also went on maternity leave in the middle of my project and had nothing but support, transparency, and again genuine warmth and caring from the management team before, during, and after that time. They work with top-notch, industry-leading clients, and have a stellar reputation. I converted to become a full time employee at the company I was on project for, and that company continues to hire Paragon attorneys for projects to this day. In addition, in my experience, they level-set with their clients that each attorney's (i.e. your) time is valuable, and this really set the stage I thought for managing work-life balance well since there were clear boundaries and expectations.

Cons

As far as I know, there isn't much structure for knowledge sharing among the talent pool that makes up Paragon so sometimes it felt like there's a little bit of a missed opportunity to leverage the great people and deep knowledge that make up Paragon, especially if you're the only attorney on a project.

Advice to Management

Maybe set up a closed Facebook group where Paragon attorneys could communicate with each other more openly and frequently?

5. "Women supporting Women- an amazing place!"

Current Employee - Senior Counsel
    Current Employee - Senior Counsel

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mae, Tam, Jennifer and the entire Paragon team are an absolute delight to work with. They truly have created an innovative and results oriented law firm to cultivate and support women and working moms by showing the world that YES, our skills ARE still relevant, and that we are a true asset to any team. In an industry plagued by an often male-dominated, all-or-nothing approach, I commend Mae and her team for challenging the status quo and creating wonderful new opportunities for talented and experienced attorneys. I'm truly honored to know and work with the folks at Paragon and highly recommend them.

Cons

none. I can honestly say Paragon is the best of the similar firms I evaluated. Mae and team are so professional and great at what they do. In addition, they have an abundance of empathy which they bring to their jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Paragon is a Forward Thinking and Agile Law Firm - Great Place for Career Advancement"

Former Employee - Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Paragon Legal Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paragon has the client contacts and flexible work arrangements that are most sought after in the local job market. Firm leadership makes professional development and growth a breeze. I love my current job but I will always miss working with Paragon. As a bonus, the firm's reputation has spread so that people really know the quality of attorneys, staff and work product when you mention it by name. What more could you ask for?

Cons

If you are not amenable to working on an assignment basis or don't like to commute to Silicon Valley or client sites, there may be fewer opportunities. But there's almost always ongoing or new work assignments, when you do a good job for the client and firm.

Advice to Management

Thank you! I look forward to our paths crossing again in the future.

Feb 7, 2017 – Founder/Managing Attorney

I'm so glad you had a positive experience at Paragon, and we certainly welcome you back anytime you'd like to return to us! We have many attorneys spend a few years with us, take a permanent job... More

7. "Senior Corporate Counsel"

I worked at Paragon Legal Group full-time

Pros

Job placement & client list excellent.

Cons

Benefits could be a whole lot better.

8. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Counsel in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Counsel in San Carlos, CA

Pros

I have been working through Paragon, full-time, at a client company. I am about to leave for a different job opportunity, but with sadness as the Paragon Legal Team is fabulous and the position I've been able to fill at a client company has been fantastic. The way Paragon has structured work for its attorneys provides for great life-work balance, with good pay (better than other similar companies) and highly competitive benefits. If I do not like the new job opportunity I will be taking, I will come back to Paragon!

Cons

Slow accrual of vacation, but the pay is so good, it is practically irrelevant

Dec 13, 2016 – Founder/Managing Attorney

I'm so glad your experience at Paragon has been a good one. While we are always sad to lose attorneys from our team, we often find that they do come back to us! Our door is always open.

9. "Senior Counsel"

Former Employee - Senior Counsel
    Former Employee - Senior Counsel

I worked at Paragon Legal Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mae, Tam and the rest of the Paragon team were excellent to work with. Very professional, friendly and accommodating. Clients were in diverse sectors of technology and media, which kept things interesting and stimulating.

Cons

Commuting to clients in various locations can be taxing over time. There are ways to address this (such as through long term projects) but that is really a function of client availability and needs. Collegiality was challenging to develop with other Paragon attorneys due to remote working environments.

Advice to Management

Improve networking / interactions amongst Paragon attorneys to enhance collegiality, resources and develop more of a culture within Paragon.

Dec 5, 2016 – Founder/Managing Attorney

Thanks for your very honest feedback of your Paragon experience. I agree the commute is something we grapple with, as too often the work is on the opposite side of the Bay Area from where are our... More

10. "Best Legal Outsourcing Firm in Silicon Valley"

Current Employee - Technology Attorney in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Attorney in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Marquee clients
    • Great reputation
    • Exceptionally professional staff
    • Competitive salary when on project, particularly in comparison to its competitors

Cons

• Projects, and hence income, may be unpredictable, but this is the nature of the in-house legal project business.

Nov 15, 2016 – Founder/Managing Attorney

Thank you for the words of encouragement and support! I'm glad to hear that our efforts to ensure compensation is competitive are continuing to prove successful. We are grateful to have an amazing... More