Paragon Legal Group Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2020

4.8
Paragon Legal Group Managing Directors Trista Engel and Jessica Markowitz (no image)
Trista Engel and Jessica Markowitz
  1. Featured Review

"The best company to work for!"

Current Employee - Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule. Company cares about its employees more than revenue. Focused on work life balance. Great clients to work for to make connections.

Cons

Sometimes uncertainty with job security but they do the best they can to avoid gaps in employment if projects end.

March 30, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you very much for your review and for your steady commitment to Paragon! Doing our best for our employees is essential to how we keep Paragon successful. Everything we do is with the long-term well-being of our team in mind. We couldn't do what we do without great team-members like you!

2. "Great flexible work option"

Current Employee - Counsel

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Paragon team is excellent. I was placed at a good company fairly quickly, and they check in with you (and clients) regularly. I enjoy the flexibility. Company culture is outstanding.

Cons

Health benefits could be a little better, but you know that going in. Fair overall.

June 23, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you so much for the glowing review and for your support on our team! We definitely continue to strive to enhance our benefits annually and always appreciate the feedback about where we can improve.

3. "Paragon is the Best!"

Current Employee - Commercial Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paragon has amazing, well-respected and diverse clients and a friendly and professional management team. Working for Paragon has allowed me to have years of flexible high level work as commercial counsel in the Bay Area.

Cons

There are no cons to Paragon.

April 6, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you so much for this review! We continue to strive to be the best for both our employees and clients. Thank you for your many years of hard work and for allowing Paragon to be part of your professional journey!

4. "Great company that cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Global Privacy Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is excellent and they make sure to give personalized attention to each employee. Despite growing quickly, they want their employees to be happy on their assignments and check in regularly.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to feel a part of a team because you're on assignment at clients' offices (but they do their best to overcome that). Unfortunately the vacation/sick time is limited and the 401k match is small.

March 30, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you! At Paragon, it really is personal for us. We know that we can only grow successfully if we keep that personal touch. Every decision we make is focussed on how to do the best we can for our team. Thanks for being a part of that team and for your great review!

5. "Exposure to Great Companies"

Current Employee - Corporate Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Placement within legal departments at great companies - from established giants to nimble startups -Project-based work has many advantages, including flexibility, time off in between projects, varied work for varied clients, potential for conversion to full-time -Better communication with and attention to concerns of their attorneys than the competitors in this space. I immediately got multiple interviews for my next project after my first one ended. -Base compensation is competitive in market

Cons

-Project-based work also has disadvantages, including uncertainty regarding next potential project, lack of stability, no equity grants -No guaranteed opportunity for bonus -Attorneys are hourly employees and have to obey CA labor laws re: breaks and log time in timesheets (more of a nit-pick than a con - and still way better than logging billable hours!)

February 11, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you so much for this great review! We’re always happy to hear that our employees love the varied work for great clients. We work hard to ensure that each employee is treated individually to address their needs, so we’re thrilled to hear that this has been apparent to you. Minimizing (undesired) down-time between projects is a key part of keeping project-based work possible and we’ve been very successful at this for our employees. We are committed to maintaining our personal approach to employee management while remaining competitive in our entire compensation package. Thank you!

6. "Incredible!"

Former Employee - Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Paragon Legal Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Terrific, caring team Great culture and well managed Has great projects with the hottest companies More flexible billing model than competitors and just easy to work with in general! Interested in employee feedback and further improving employee experience

Cons

healthcare plans tend to be a bit on the expensive side

January 29, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thanks so much for this glowing review! We take pride in putting employees first and offering great projects at well-respected clients. We are always striving to improve and a big focus is reducing the cost of health insurance for our employees. We’re excited about continuing to expand our benefit offerings, not just in healthcare but across the board!

7. "Good Place For Contract Attorneys"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly fast at placing you in assignments. Interesting companies to work for.

Cons

Competing against other Paragon attorneys. Not the flexibility of permanent job.

March 10, 2020Human Resources Manager

Thank you very much for your review! We work hard to fit each project to each employee and to place employees with clients as quickly as possible.

8. "Great Team to Work With"

Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Paragon Legal Group for less than a year

Pros

Professional, Choose hours and position

Cons

none that I could see

September 3, 2018Founder/Managing Attorney

Thank you for the positive feedback. We will keep doing what we do!

9. "Good for part time gigs"

4.0
    Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paragon Legal Group for more than 5 years

Pros

Paragon has a good reputation and the pay is decent

Cons

Not ideal if you want steady employment

September 3, 2018Founder/Managing Attorney

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I'm glad you've had a positive experience at Paragon. Regarding your comment "not ideal if you want steady employment", as we've been extremely busy these past few years, with small exception, our resources have been able to go from project to project with no gap. We consider this in some ways more steady employment than a permanent job!

10. "Highly Recommended - Great Management, Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Counsel in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Paragon Legal Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome management team - small but mighty. From the top down, they're very responsive, respectful, warm, and genuinely caring (not a word you typically see thrown around legal industry reviews). In short, they do the right thing for their staff and you really feel they have your back. Every Paragon attorney I've met has been down-to-earth, smart, friendly, and a reflection of the people-first culture at Paragon. I was only on one project through Paragon, but all steps of the process from onboarding to exit were handled smoothly and without any surprises. I also went on maternity leave in the middle of my project and had nothing but support, transparency, and again genuine warmth and caring from the management team before, during, and after that time. They work with top-notch, industry-leading clients, and have a stellar reputation. I converted to become a full time employee at the company I was on project for, and that company continues to hire Paragon attorneys for projects to this day. In addition, in my experience, they level-set with their clients that each attorney's (i.e. your) time is valuable, and this really set the stage I thought for managing work-life balance well since there were clear boundaries and expectations.

Cons

As far as I know, there isn't much structure for knowledge sharing among the talent pool that makes up Paragon so sometimes it felt like there's a little bit of a missed opportunity to leverage the great people and deep knowledge that make up Paragon, especially if you're the only attorney on a project.

Found 34 reviews