Parametric Portfolio Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Langstraat

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Pretty Great Really"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Parametric Portfolio Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company
    Professional coworkers
    Great SLU location
    Good benifits
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Work itself not exciting
    Parent company weighs

Advice to Management

Automate away monotonous jobs that have painfully high turn over anyway.

2. "Just say No."

Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Client Relations Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Parametric Portfolio Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Neat office
    - Amazing co-workers
    - Decent perks
    - Day passes quickly
    - Industry/niche outlook is good from a numbers perspective

Cons

- Nepotistic in promotions
    - Poor management
    - Presented as a merit based culture, but was not the case at all
    - Low salary, perks don't offset this

Advice to Management

Increase quality of your management across the board

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Parametric Portfolio Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of people to work with.

Cons

it is in rainy Seattle

"Unhealthy work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Parametric Portfolio Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young dynamic workforce; free breakfasts twice a month, vacation and sick time is very accommodating. South lake union location is wonderful and easy to commute to.

Cons

Constant turnover at associate level due to fear based leadership and unreasonable pressure of expectations on the inexperienced and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Consider your associate base as fellow humans and not robots. Attend company social events with them. Communicate with all levels of staff, with transparency as the purpose.

5. "Good company, Operations Dept. not well managed"

I have been working at Parametric Portfolio Associates full-time

Pros

Great people, Interesting work, People are always ready to help.

Cons

Management has no clue how to effectively run Operations and blatantly disregards employee morale.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and be more competent.

"The only job I ever hated...."

I worked at Parametric Portfolio Associates full-time

Pros

-I met some amazing people
    -convenient location

Cons

- Unrealistic expectations + long hours. At the end of my time at Parametric, I looked back through my timesheets. There were exactly 3 weeks during which I did not work at least 8-10 hours of overtime.
    - Rampant favoritism. My department exhibited such rampant favoritism that folks from other departments would regularly make comments/joke about it. If you were not an active participant in weekly social events, good luck moving forward within this company.
    - There was incredibly high turnover in my department – even higher than I’d seen in my days working retail.
    - A manager once told me at a work outing, amongst all our coworkers that in 5 years she saw me “where I am – in the background.” She told all other teammates the roles she saw them in 5 years down the road and all were told they would hold a new, promoted position within the company. This is the epitome of unprofessionalism, and despite my taking the issue to HR -it was never addressed. This was not an isolated experience.
    - I was coached to incorrectly enter overtime hours and time off for doctors appointments/PTO. My final month was made up of endless back and forth with payroll because my supervisor refused to approve overtime I had worked until I supplied proof to payroll.

Steer clear – though the people are kind as individuals, management is a nightmare with only one or two exceptional departments.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people - not expendable assets. This is the only job I've ever hated - that is not how a former employee should view a company after nearly a year away.

"Understaffed, Underpaid, Overworked, Harassment/Bullying"

Pros

Great office space and free perks (free food, snacks, drinks, etc)
    Location is central in Seattle

Cons

This is just my honest opinion on my department - I noticed some peers in other departments had a great experience.

Poor Management from various levels - I was told to take less bathroom breaks, when the elevator broke I was criticized for not walking up 20+ flights of stairs. Considering that I almost always stayed longer then the 8 hrs of work anyway, taking an extra 15 minutes to wait for the elevator instead of walking up 20 floors one time in my life at this company felt fair to do - to the director of the department it apparently was not.

HARASSMENT/BULLYING was a major thing I dealt with when I did not partake in the team politics or after work events on a regular (I attended them here and there but not weekly like expected from my teammates). There is poor to no training when you got on the job, and whatever training you received was basic to get you started...then withing a couple months you're expected to perform at the caliber of an employee who's been there at least a year or two. Most existing employee still mess up their work and trained new employees incorrectly, but if you were part of the "group" then you'd be excused - if they did not like you then you get blamed for everything and your mistakes proclaimed and publicized for the surrounding teams in the office to hear. You are yelled at out loud by your desk in front of everyone if you make a mistake even if its something negligible or resulted from another person's mistake. Those with a good heart were too afraid to speak up and defend others in fear of the same retaliation.

Extremely understaffed to the point that all of us were stressed out with the large amount of work we had to do from early morning until late evening- overtime and 13 hr workdays were expected.

Underpaid - the skills, knowledge, and experience they ask from someone in this department was much more than what they paid us. Many of us were barely above entry level pay that Google or Amazon paid to straight out of college kids in much lower level functional roles

We are constantly overworked - there was no such thing as holidays as we would work until late the day before and be back before sunrise the day after most holidays. vacation freeze was implemented around the holiday season so really you don't have the opportunity to spend time with family/friends.

For the icing on the cake - HR was told about all this and did absolutely nothing...most likely because they frankly did not care.

Advice to Management

Of all my jobs, I have never said I "hated" any of them - but this job almost threw me into a mental breakdown from all the stress, harassment, mismanagement, and lack of true leadership.

I believe that what makes an company successful is the performance of its employees, and if employees are not happy you will not get the productivity and loyalty necessary to grow your organization. Every company has to deal with bad apples, but when poor managers are not reprimanded and instead are protected this is no different than bleeding out talent from your company. I have left every job I've ever had from even the smallest retail job in retail to working for high level executives at a large corporation with no bad feelings, but this job almost made me forever quit from working in business and corporations. It was so traumatic I decided to not work for awhile to think about whether I wanted to go back to corporate America at all.

I remember researching Parametric Portfolio before I started and saw great glassdoor reviews which encouraged me to take the job over another opportunity I was also offered...I can see now that the ratings have dipped to 2.7/5 and it makes sense why. I used to think I was useless and maybe I was not up to par after this job...but with my success in my MBA program and my success at another company and the low ratings and reviews for Parametric Portfolio - I no longer question my abilities.

If a company does that to an employee, than leaders have to look at their culture and what they are doing as business leaders to run the business and if they are exercising Emotional Intelligence as Corporate Leaders. All tasks are being taken over by machines (what Parametric ironically is founded on), so Emotional Intelligence is the only leadership skill that cannot be replaced by machines - if you don't even have that in your company's culture or leadership then what do you have at the end of the day? Money? Money can be earned today and lost tomorrow...many companies throughout history has shown so.

"Thoughts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Parametric Portfolio Associates full-time

Pros

growth-oriented, friendly vibe with a growing AUM and diversified client base. seattle is a great location and such as well.

Cons

Most people working here are on cruise control in their careers. As a matter of fact, they tend to manage out those who are deemed ambitious

Advice to Management

Share some love to the little guys. You need to open up the purse strings to retain employees

9. "Young, growing company"

Current Employee - Portfolio Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Accountant in Seattle, WA

Pros

-Great collaborative workspace with a very open floor-plan
    -Colleagues are open to help you succeed
    -Opportunities for professional development

Cons

-Pay is low compared to most other investment management firms
    -Work can be tedious and very repetitive if you have an entry-level role

Advice to Management

-Keep expanding the company and look for opportunities to grow
    -Improve existing technologies and look to specialize further

"Terrible place to develop a career."

I have been working at Parametric Portfolio Associates full-time

Pros

Work life balance. This is the one thing the company has to offer.

Cons

No training, below average industry pay, no career development whatsoever unless you are a software developer, no potential for career advancement unless you are tenured, dysfunctional project management, massive under investment in technology.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and technology. Recognize talent and work to retain it.