Pariveda Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pariveda Solutions CEO Bruce Ballengee
Bruce Ballengee

Pros
  • Furthermore, each employee has a clearly defined career development path that does not rely on "who you know" to earn a promotion (in 11 reviews)

• Also encourage a good work life balance - family is always first (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance varies depending on level and where you're at in the career path (in 9 reviews)

• Working in consulting is not the right career path for every technologist (in 4 reviews)

"Fantastic Culture, Transparent Career Path, Great Mentoring Program"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pariveda Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly focused on your success
    Transparent career path and pay structure
    Challenging, varying work
    Co-workers are incredibly talented and well-rounded
    Great coaching/mentoring structure
    Good pay and benefits (and they're always improving)
    Incredible executive and management team
    Caring, talented, extremely competent leadership

Cons

Commute varies depending on client location
    Work-life balance varies depending on level and where you're at in the career path. It's still about as good as it can get for consulting, and is much better than other firms with this career trajectory, but it can still be challenging at times

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Here’s the good:
    Great earnings potential
    Working with some very talented people
    Relaxed environment
    Great benefits
    Drive for growth and development
    CEO and COO seem to really care about their employees
    Great community involvement

Cons

Now for the not so good….

There is no true value for diversity. Not just from an ethnic perspective, but also background, way of thinking, etc. Pariveda really struggles here. You will quickly hear “we are different from most companies” and it’s “the Pariveda way”. What they are really saying is that they want you at act, look, think, behave, and even breath the way they do. If you don’t, you’re an outsider and you won’t succeed.

It’s EXTREMELY clicky. When you first start, you have this ery feeling that you have just joined a cult and they are sizing you up to see if you will make the cut. You’re not crazy. They are. And if you don’t act, look, think, behave or breath the way they want you to, you better believe that people will gossip under the guise of “feedback” behind your back. It’s not that you did anything wrong, you just have to learn the “Pariveda way”. Which bring me to my third point…

Because people are smart (and yes they are perfectly aware of this) you will have random people CONSTANTLY giving “feedback”. Constructive feedback is great, but sometimes it is just plain gossip and negativity if they never speak directly to that person.

Because they are so clicky and it’s a small company, there is A LOT of bias. Once you’ve passed initiation into the cult, bad behavior is excused, ignored or justified. Promotions, assignments, and performance reviews are heavily influenced on if people like you. I’ve seen bullying behavior minimized and not even mentioned on the performance review of the bully.

The promotion system is severely flawed. You can be up for a cohort promotion, recommended by your manager for the promotion, but fail to get it based on a case presentation that, for some, has nothing to do with their 9 to 5 job. What sense does that make!?

Pariveda is a company that “rewards” tenure with great pay and these artificial “manager” titles for some. In the real world, these “managers” are simply senior level individual contributors who are overpaid.

As I said before, there are some great people at Pariveda. There are also some not so great people who get away with poor leadership skills due to longevity and closeness to senior leadership. Not that they would purposefully let this happen, many people are just afraid to let them know that some people have poor leadership skills, is biased, and no longer have the competencies need to truly be successful in their roles. Are you really going to risk being a cult outsider by going up against people who have worked with some of the executives from the beginning? I think not. So, they continue getting overpaid for a role they shouldn’t have in the first place.

Someone once told me that the key to success at Pariveda is getting people to like you. The problem is that people are different and have biases. To base success on if a person “likes” you is fundamentally flawed with embracing diversity because people are naturally comfortable around others who are most like them. It’s OK to not “like” someone at work as long as there is respect for one another. This is a lesson this young company will soon have to embrace as they grow.

"Unparalleled Culture"

Current Employee - Consultant (C2) in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant (C2) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pariveda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like Pariveda wants me to succeed, not just for corporate gain but for my own personal growth. The culture at Pariveda is centered on the individual rather than simply pleasing the client, which is something you'd be very hard-pressed to find anywhere else.

Cons

Having worked at multiple offices, I have noticed a disconnect in the consistency of the culture throughout the company. Yes, it's uniformly focused on the individual; however, moving from one office to another, I noticed a significant difference in the social tendencies between employees. For example, in one office, employees seemed more laid back and even genuine than those in my current office, where the artificial nature of interpersonal work interactions is much more noticeable.

Advice to Management

Take a better look at geo-differentials across the country. Seattle is by no means cheap, and the cost of living absolutely does not compare to that of Dallas (corporate headquarters). Benefits are pretty great, but in order to competitively attract real talent in tech-fueled economies, I think base salary needs to increase, or perhaps, yearly bonuses should be considered. Just my 2 cents.

5. "Vice President"

Former Employee - Senior Management Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Management Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Pariveda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent business model and structure especially for those in the early years of their career. Well managed company with a clear strategy, growth model, and culture.

Cons

The business model is fairly rigid which could become a challenge or overly stifle innovation and adaption to changing market conditions.

Advice to Management

Continue to question and refine your services, staffing and pricing models, and even strategy because the pace of change with technology, providers, and services is even more rapidly changing than in the past - e.g. deep learning, digital strategies, etc.

"Good career growth, clear responsibilities, lackluster pay in San Francisco"

Former Employee - Manager II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pariveda Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pariveda has a very clear career development plan given from day one. It is clear where you need to grow in order to move up in your career.

A formal mentor increases your accountability and thinking about your career at a time.

Consulting can give you a wide breadth of knowledge, and if you get staffed on a good project, you can learn a lot of great skills to grow your career.

As a consultant, you get way more "client-facing" experience than you would at a standard engineering role. Could be a pro/con...

The company is very transparent. Everyone is paid equally based on job level, and all salaries are known as a result.

Weekly / Quarterly metrics are shared to the entire company.

Free cell phone / service.

Cons

In consulting, some of the company culture is based on your current client as you will be spending a majority of the time at the client's office.

Pay is low for SF, especially at the lower levels. It levels out around the "Manager" title, but before that, most top talent engineers can find a significantly higher paying job elsewhere.

In San Francisco, some client projects I've been on have not been interesting or have had lots of legacy cruft. Frequent weekend / night deployments, botched deployment processes, etc.

Some company training, but in my opinion there is a gap in learning good management skills as a young manager.

The insurance is Texas-based -- I had a hard time finding doctors in California.

"Good consulting company overall, some challenges"

Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Pariveda Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Straightforward career model, mostly quality people, minimal travel, focus on the individual. Also, no offshore or staff-aug projects for the most part. Pretty flexible benefits package, although they have been trimmed back in the last few years and are not competitive with product companies competing for the same talent.

Cons

Climbing the ladder, especially if you aren't in Dallas, can be a very obtuse and disconnected-feeling process for manager and above. Politics do exist. Leaders in satellite offices are afraid to disagree with corporate strategy, to the detriment of individual markets. Conservative culture for a consulting company. No bonuses, ever, regardless of performance - can be a decent place to coast. Much if not most of upper management is non-technical. Fair bit of turn-over for manager and above.

Advice to Management

Drop the POV. Bring back the sabbatical promise. Stop hiring non-technical VPs from outside. Allow more office autonomy. Take the microphone away from Bruce. Add some sort of flexible performance-based compensation. Take a serious look at maternity and paternity offerings. Demand more from managers on the PM side, more from Ps on the thought leadership side.

Pariveda Solutions Response

Feb 24, 2017 – Founder and CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! Feedback is essential for learning individually and collectively. Pariveda is intentionally designed from to focus on growing individuals ... More

"Recruiters are looking for the wrong qualifications"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pariveda Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, awesome culture

Cons

Recruiters are using brain dead criteria to qualify and match quality candidates, at least - here in the Seattle market.

Advice to Management

I've referred a number of technically competent principal level consultants with decades of experience to our recruiters. Unfortunately, I'm hearing from these candidates that they are being rejected because their work history reflects local boutique firms rather than Big 5 brand names.

This is concerning because Pariveda itself is a boutique firm serving clients in cities like Seattle with low populations of former Big 5 consultants. Further, a quick scan of current and past employees on LinkedIn.com shows that the majority of our senior leadership and consultants teams lack this experience. This leaves me wondering if there is an opportunity to train recruiters on what a Big 5 firm actually is so that they stop turning great people away.

The main point that I'd like to make is the core business of the Big 5 firms was originally the provision of compliance based services such as accounting, auditing and taxation. These core services remain central to the success of each of the Big 5 firms today, but in addition they have extended their capabilities through a number of highly profitable corporate consulting services which been developed alongside the core compliance based offering.

While Pariveda does offer a variety of services which compliment and overlap the core business of Big 5 firms, they are still a boutique firm. Further, while each Big 5 firm sets top-tier standards for excellence and capability in the delivery of business consulting services the global consulting market is much broader and deeper than the Big 5 and the only way your going to be able to compete with an 800 lb gorilla is target opportunities outside of it's purview.

9. "Overall good place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pariveda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pariveda takes talent development very seriously with their mentor program and regular, in-depth review process

Cons

Very narrow advancement ladder (one track) can be a problem if it doesn't align with your career goals

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Great company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Consultant (C2) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant (C2) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Pariveda Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The interview process is very involved which results in us hiring very smart, talented, and passionate people. The whole company is created around developing you to your fullest potential and the work we do, our training, revolves around that. It shows the employee that they care about us more than profits and other material things. The benefits package is world-class so we do not have to worry about things outside of work and developing ourselves, again showing the commitment to their employees.

Cons

The career progression is really good but it does not give you the ability to advance faster than the stated career progression. For example if I am a top performing employee in the earlier stages I cannot try to interview for manager without going through the progressions, in an industry job you might be able to promote quicker if you are a top performer.

Advice to Management

Continue working hard to preserve the culture that has been created of obtaining passionate, smart, talented individuals.

Pariveda Solutions Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Founder and CEO

Thank you for your feedback! We are designed for talent development and retention. It creates enormous value for our clients -- higher quality outcomes for lower total cost. In theory, it is ... More

11. "Consultant 1"

Current Employee - Consultant (C1) in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant (C1) in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great culture, mentorship, and advancement opportunities. The work and projects are interesting, and the people are great.

Cons

Like with comes with any company whose money comes from billable hours, you have to make weekly hours, and PTO has to be scheduled.