Park West Gallery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Albert Scaglione

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get to travel the world but most importantly is that you manage to develop as a person at an extremely high level (in 14 reviews)

• This is a very unique opportunity to travel the world and explore new cultures and countries while developing business skills (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours seven days a week for six to nine months (in 14 reviews)

• living on a cruise ship can be like ground hog day (in 11 reviews)

1. "Art at Sea & US Cities"

Former Employee - Auctioneer in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Auctioneer in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will challenge yourself. You will be challenged by Management and their system. If you address these challenges positively... you will earn handsome monetary and life rewards. The skills and exposures will improve your current and future lifestyle.

Cons

You will be required to work. This is an advantage especially if you enjoy the nature of this work... it will really equate to fun!

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work!

2. "Art Auctions at Sea"

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

Travel, great sales training and great opportunities available to grow and advance. Can make a lot of money if you work hard and are good.

Cons

No benefits (health, dental etc), away from home for long periods, some up front cost to get started (cruise ship medical, flight to the training)

"Art Auctioneer Review"

Current Employee - Art Auctioneer
    Current Employee - Art Auctioneer

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an auctioneer the money was very good. I made over $100,000 in each of my 3 years. It's a great opportunity to travel and see the world. I got to go to 5 different continents. It was also a great way to improve my public speaking and management skills. You only work about 9 months out of the year. Joining Park West was one of the best decisions that I've ever made.

Cons

The hours can be long on auction days (2-3 per week on average). You have some startup costs as well (cruise ship medical, flight to Miami for training). First 3 months pay as an associate are not great, but the money picks up after first 3 months.

"Great company, great experience"

Current Employee - ARt Associate
    Current Employee - ARt Associate

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working alongside Park West, I have grown both personally and professionally in a way previously unimagined. Like all great opportunities, if you work hard the company will work for you.

Cons

Cruise ship life can be hard on many. Not to say that it is not worthwhile.

"Job, not a career"

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

As an employee you get to pick out "Christmas art" every year from a small group of options. Lunches are 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Occasionally they provide bagels and coffee or a food truck for lunch.

Cons

No employee handbook, never post new opportunities in house and prefer to hire outside, management acts queer and suspicious about everything. Expect to work Christmas Eve. Don't expect a raise.

Advice to Management

Better pay will help retain employees. Transparency (in all aspects) would also help. Don't micromanage.

6. "Shipping"

Current Employee - Shipping in Miami Lakes, FL
    Current Employee - Shipping in Miami Lakes, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of job oportunities, good work enviroment, the place have a very good acces, easy to find a parking lot

Cons

Very low salary, you must to stay stand all the time, is not possible to carry a cell phone, receive or make calls

Advice to Management

don't be late in no time, they work with very expensive and delicate arts so be extremely careful,

"Best Avoided"

Pros

Working on cruise ships in any position is very strenuous work but there's the possibility of:

-Meeting people from different cultures
    -Meals/Accommodation provided
    -Traveling to new places

Cons

Some aspects of the job were downplayed such as the physical labor involved.

Park West Gallery Response

Nov 20, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

We hope you enjoyed meeting people from around the world and traveling while you worked onboard! Cruise ships can be hard work, and knowing that you felt like the art movement aspect of the job... More

"Going through interview process and its thorough"

Current Employee - ARt Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - ARt Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Havnt been officially hired but the process is insightful and prepares you for the position on board, after the 2 skype interviews there is a series of study and paperwork meetings and I can not stress this far enough! Study the material they send to you. The better you do, the better a ship you will get. From my journey so far they want hard working sales people who can grasp information fast. Do everything in your power to be in the top 10 on that training. Good luck to those still in the process like me!

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say. This is entirely based on ones determination to make it! If I experience anything negative maybe I will but that's highly unlikely, it's just who I am. The only con which isn't the companies fault is the long ship hours and homesickness , everything else you can try and control.

Advice to Management

Keep on recruiting from all over the world and giving as many people this opportunity, though you might not find out who I am, whether I make it or not. Thank you!!!

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Art Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Art Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for PW for more than 15 years. My commission was cut 90% over the years. And my out of pocket expenses went up 1000%. You get to see the world and working on a cruise ship was a great life and a good way to save money. But not working for PW.

Cons

You pay for: your medical *one for every cruise line even if you never work on that line)
    you pay for your flight to and from training: two brutal weeks in Miami. You pay huge fines for every mistake you make: forgetting to get a buyer's email is a $50.00 fine and is doubled the 2nd time. Making a mistake on an artist's bio $100 fine. There are at least 200 mistakes that if you make result in fines of $50 to $500. 10% of you commission is held back for at least six months. If an inventory of the art after you sign off shows any missing or damaged art (there are over 700 pieces per ship) you are charged back for it. I know of art directors who received bills from PW of over $20,000. fr art that was never on-board their ship. You are paid once a month with one full month held back. If you quit PW they always keep your reserves and most of your commission from your last month.
    Very long hours seven days a week for six to nine months. If you take a job with PW you will need at least $5000 just to survive until your first payday.
    99% of all ship staff quit after one contract.
    Also PW is a religious cult: The owners are rabid born-again Christians. They send each new employee a copy of the New Testament with their name inscribed on it. Even Jewish, Muslim and Atheist employees.
    Also the art you are selling is grossly over priced. Art worth a few dollars is priced at $500 an up. Also PW buys rare books and cuts them up and frames the lithographs in them and sells them. Even Bibles!

Advice to Management

You know that the above is true. How can you work for such a crooked company.

Park West Gallery Response

Nov 10, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We would imagine that the benefits outweighed any perceived negatives for you to have stayed for 15 years! Like any company, we are always trying to improve, so... More

"Great opportunities, poorly run company"

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

As a former art auctioneer, you had the opportunity to earn six-figures a year and travel the world.

Cons

You may also not make nearly that, it's all commissioned base and nobody has a 'perfect' year as you can end up jumping from failing ship to failing ship. It's also horribly managed, it's a shady company that will let you go as fast as they hire you. Family grown company that hasn't caught up with the times.

Advice to Management

Go legit. Invest money into your technology.