Park West Gallery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Albert Scaglione

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get to travel the world but most importantly is that you manage to develop as a person at an extremely high level (in 17 reviews)

• Great opportunity to see the world while selling beautiful artworks and making money (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours on sea days with difficult venues at times from the cruise lines (in 16 reviews)

• Cruise ship life can be hard on many (in 12 reviews)

"Park West, My Dream JoB"

Current Employee - Principal Auctioneer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Auctioneer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rewards, the sky is the limit.
    Traveling the world.
    Have your partner with you, (very rare working on ships)
    World knowledge and skills built more relevant than any other experience.
    Opens the world in a way that exceeds expectation with room to grow and hard work really paying off.

Cons

Away from home for months at a time, while at the same time rewards and pros, most definitely out way the cons.

Advice to Management

This is truely the greatest job I have ever had, endless room for growth and oppertunity while seeing the world with a job you cant help but fall inlove with. It It's the best decision I have ever made, having my wife with me as well to be able to save, cut expenses and provide with the ability to improve our life style and standards in a secure way.

2. "Art Associate"

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

BEST SALES TRAINING I HAVE EVER HAD. You have the ability to move up fast in the company, learn a ton about art even if you have no experience at all, and a lot of what the company is looking for is motivation. You get to meet people from all over the world on cruise ships (co-workers in your own team, co-workers from around the ship, and passengers), you get free meals on the ship, and you get a place to stay rent free.

Cons

The hours. You have to know that working on a cruise ship is a tough job to begin with, but the hours can really get to you. Additionally - some of the auctioneers and gallery directors you might work with and for will occasionally suck. Easiest way to say it.

Advice to Management

Check out how some of your auctioneers perform and create a better system for vacation time.

"You're Always the Bad Guy in Client Services"

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

I learned a lot about art when I was employed here that I wasn't aware of before. Management would also occasionally bring in breakfast or lunch. Every year at Christmas you would get Christmas art.

Cons

There was a high turnover rate in this department, and for good reason. The department was severely understaffed. There weren't enough people to do what needed to be done and to look out for the customer. We'd have 500+ unread emails in all of our inboxes because we were constantly on the phones. But we weren't allowed to tell clients about this, therefore we just looked like jerks that wouldn't respond to you. The minute you ended one call, you were expected to pick up another. How are you supposed to get things done? And the main reason we were so understaffed was because of the huge delays in delivery times. For some reason, someone thought it would be a good idea to sell artwork that technically wasn't even made yet. But we weren't allowed to tell clients this. We had to deliver vague answers, and they'd understandably be upset. Since we didn't have enough time to do anything, we would have clerical do paperwork for refunds and such. If a refund was not turned in, it was our fault. If an auctioneer made false promises (which was often the case), it was our fault. Repeatedly damaged frames? Our fault. Late deliveries? Our fault. I tried as hard as I could to make customers happy, but there were so many things stacked against us that I just couldn't do it anymore. Eventually I just didn't care because it felt like nothing I did would ever solve all these problems. Because of all of this stress, there was a lot of hostility in the department as well. Some people were just not good at their jobs, but because there weren't enough people they were kept employed. And supervisors were never available. We'd have to try as hard as possible to calm a person down before transferring them over to a supervisor, because they were never available. they were also constantly on the phone with angry clients.

Advice to Management

Don't make promises you can't deliver on. Hire people who actually do their jobs well and value them. Have consequences for people who aren't doing their jobs correctly. All of the horrible experiences that customers have fall on the customer service department. And because these customers aren't screaming at auctioneers or framers, they keep getting away with lying or half-assing everything. You might be able to retain your employees if you solve these problems. Otherwise...get used to your high turnover rate, because that won't change unless you do.

4. "Great job for a few years if you are able to handle the ups and downs of 100% commission jobs."

Former Employee - Art Auctioneer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Art Auctioneer in Miami, FL

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can make fantastic money if you're on the right ship/itinerary. Get to travel the world, which is great too. If you are a good salesperson you will be promoted quickly giving you the chance to earn the highest commission % possible. If you can keep this up constantly, you will continue to get the best opportunities

Cons

On the flip side, getting the wrong itinerary/ship you can make almost nothing as it is almost entirely commission. It is difficult to come back from a 'bad' contract as you almost feel you have to start from the bottom again.

Advice to Management

Management do what they need to do, sometimes it feels as if you are not getting the help that you need. and sorting out issues can take too long.
    Not allow visas to pre determine routes/itinerary which they will go on as I felt as a US citizen that I was often sent somewhere just because I would not need a visa and this was often itineraries where it is less likely you will make good money.

5. "Art at Sea & US Cities"

Former Employee - Auctioneer in South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Former Employee - Auctioneer in South Lake Tahoe, CA

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will challenge yourself. You will be challenged by Management and their system. If you address these challenges positively... you will earn handsome monetary and life rewards. The skills and exposures will improve your current and future lifestyle.

Cons

You will be required to work. This is an advantage especially if you enjoy the nature of this work... it will really equate to fun!

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work!

6. "Art Auctions at Sea"

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

Travel, great sales training and great opportunities available to grow and advance. Can make a lot of money if you work hard and are good.

Cons

No benefits (health, dental etc), away from home for long periods, some up front cost to get started (cruise ship medical, flight to the training)

"Art Auctioneer Review"

Current Employee - Art Auctioneer
    Current Employee - Art Auctioneer

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an auctioneer the money was very good. I made over $100,000 in each of my 3 years. It's a great opportunity to travel and see the world. I got to go to 5 different continents. It was also a great way to improve my public speaking and management skills. You only work about 9 months out of the year. Joining Park West was one of the best decisions that I've ever made.

Cons

The hours can be long on auction days (2-3 per week on average). You have some startup costs as well (cruise ship medical, flight to Miami for training). First 3 months pay as an associate are not great, but the money picks up after first 3 months.

"Great company, great experience"

Current Employee - ARt Associate
    Current Employee - ARt Associate

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working alongside Park West, I have grown both personally and professionally in a way previously unimagined. Like all great opportunities, if you work hard the company will work for you.

Cons

Cruise ship life can be hard on many. Not to say that it is not worthwhile.

Park West Gallery Response

Dec 6, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for sharing your insight, and we are so glad to hear that this job helped you grow as a person and as a professional. It's one of the best parts of the job!

"Job, not a career"

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

As an employee you get to pick out "Christmas art" every year from a small group of options. Lunches are 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Occasionally they provide bagels and coffee or a food truck for lunch.

Cons

No employee handbook, never post new opportunities in house and prefer to hire outside, management acts queer and suspicious about everything. Expect to work Christmas Eve. Don't expect a raise.

Advice to Management

Better pay will help retain employees. Transparency (in all aspects) would also help. Don't micromanage.

10. "Shipping"

Current Employee - Shipping in Miami Lakes, FL
    Current Employee - Shipping in Miami Lakes, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of job oportunities, good work enviroment, the place have a very good acces, easy to find a parking lot

Cons

Very low salary, you must to stay stand all the time, is not possible to carry a cell phone, receive or make calls

Advice to Management

don't be late in no time, they work with very expensive and delicate arts so be extremely careful,