Park West Gallery Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Albert Scaglione

Pros
  • Travel the world at very little cost to you (in 13 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel to over 100 countries on 6 continents, meeting people from all around the world in the process (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours seven days a week for six to nine months (in 11 reviews)

• Working on a cruise ship is not for everyone, you work 7days without a day off however you do get the time in port off so you can see a lot (in 7 reviews)

"Going through interview process and its thorough"

Current Employee - ARt Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - ARt Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Havnt been officially hired but the process is insightful and prepares you for the position on board, after the 2 skype interviews there is a series of study and paperwork meetings and I can not stress this far enough! Study the material they send to you. The better you do, the better a ship you will get. From my journey so far they want hard working sales people who can grasp information fast. Do everything in your power to be in the top 10 on that training. Good luck to those still in the process like me!

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say. This is entirely based on ones determination to make it! If I experience anything negative maybe I will but that's highly unlikely, it's just who I am. The only con which isn't the companies fault is the long ship hours and homesickness , everything else you can try and control.

Advice to Management

Keep on recruiting from all over the world and giving as many people this opportunity, though you might not find out who I am, whether I make it or not. Thank you!!!

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Art Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for PW for more than 15 years. My commission was cut 90% over the years. And my out of pocket expenses went up 1000%. You get to see the world and working on a cruise ship was a great life and a good way to save money. But not working for PW.

Cons

You pay for: your medical *one for every cruise line even if you never work on that line)
    you pay for your flight to and from training: two brutal weeks in Miami. You pay huge fines for every mistake you make: forgetting to get a buyer's email is a $50.00 fine and is doubled the 2nd time. Making a mistake on an artist's bio $100 fine. There are at least 200 mistakes that if you make result in fines of $50 to $500. 10% of you commission is held back for at least six months. If an inventory of the art after you sign off shows any missing or damaged art (there are over 700 pieces per ship) you are charged back for it. I know of art directors who received bills from PW of over $20,000. fr art that was never on-board their ship. You are paid once a month with one full month held back. If you quit PW they always keep your reserves and most of your commission from your last month.
    Very long hours seven days a week for six to nine months. If you take a job with PW you will need at least $5000 just to survive until your first payday.
    99% of all ship staff quit after one contract.
    Also PW is a religious cult: The owners are rabid born-again Christians. They send each new employee a copy of the New Testament with their name inscribed on it. Even Jewish, Muslim and Atheist employees.
    Also the art you are selling is grossly over priced. Art worth a few dollars is priced at $500 an up. Also PW buys rare books and cuts them up and frames the lithographs in them and sells them. Even Bibles!

Advice to Management

You know that the above is true. How can you work for such a crooked company.

"It all depends on what you want"

Former Employee - Art Director in Miami, FL

Pros

Travel the world at minimal cost to you - you get to go places you would probably never afford on a regular pay from whichever country you live in. Ideal job for a person without a family at home.

Cons

I worked for PW for 2 years.
    You're cannon fodder to management. If you don't do as they say, there are 80+ other people to get trained and start this job every 1,5-2 months. I left because of a medical emergency, and they retained $800 from my account, wouldn't answer my emails for months, and eventually replied "You didn't give us due notice as per your contract (8 weeks)". How could someone give 8 weeks notice if they suddenly fall ill?
    All they care about is revenue & sales.
    17-21 hours of work almost every day.
    Taking all kinds of rudeness and mocking from your auctioneer. You also have to "steal" the way you have to work, nobody teaches you, let alone allow you to even touch the laptops (that you need for work) when you're new.
    Small teams on ships, which makes it very hard physical work. I lost a toenail from standing and walking long hours every day in high heels (requested by auctioneer - I wanted to wear flats).
    You have to work hard to advance, and kiss up to the right people. If they don't like you, and your auctioneer doesn't like you - tough luck.

Advice to Management

Nothing I haven't sent them an email about already. Nobody cares anyway.

"The best decision I have ever made"

Current Employee - Gallery Director in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Gallery Director in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to travel to over 100 countries on 6 continents, meeting people from all around the world in the process. I am a better communicator, businessman, and leader from this experience. I would not be in my position with the gallery today if it were not for taking that initial leap of faith to join a cruise ship. I am grateful for having made that decision and know I am fortunate to have had that opportunity. Financial freedom is also possible in this position. I know many people who have paid off their student loans and/or saved for a down payment on a house by working on ships in the art program. Obviously, it is also much easier to save when you live rent free and do not pay for meals. The experiences onboard prepare you for far more than a future gallery position. Many colleagues have gone on to opening their own successful, non-art related businesses. The ability to make quick decisions, manage an international staff, and connecting with people from all walks of life are just a few life experiences one would have by working on cruise ships.

Cons

Leaving home for four to six months at a time was no easy task. I missed weddings and funerals along the way. I can say, however, my family was very proud of me and my accomplishments. Also, cruise ship jobs require long hours, seven days a week. If you are there to cruise, this isn't the right position for you. Long hours and small rooms are something you need to get used to. Many port days require logistical duties, so not every port day is a day off. I would try to get off the ship as much as possible, though it was never a guarantee. WiFi is also expensive on ships. The best bet is to find a café in a port of call to check social media and send emails back home. As getting off in port is never a guarantee, your family and friends have to get used to delayed responses to your emails and messaging through social media. I would also advise buying sim cards in port for an unlocked phone. I have had a few occasions where I needed to make calls back home from overseas, almost always paying an astronomically high phone bill as a result.

Advice to Management

I think the management does a nice job communicating to the ship personnel. They choose good leaders who can produce results without daily communication- those that can rise to the occasion and can be trusted remotely.

"Park West Employment"

Current Employee - Gallery Director in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Gallery Director in Miami, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make incredible money!
    Develop your sales and public speaking skills like no other place in the world,
    Wake up in a different country each day.
    Meet the most amazing and interesting people.

Cons

Long hours & hard work,
    General ship life style
    If you are prepared to work hard with a positive attitude, its well worth it

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Park West Gallery (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of coworkers, awesome artists

Cons

Hard to get in contact with management

"Not exactly the best..."

Current Employee - Inventory Control Associate in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Associate in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very small, direct work group, bagels, treats, and coffee from the company every couple of months or so. Some positions have complete autonomy. Being around art and a nice outdoor pond area.

Cons

Nepotism at its finest here, the current HR department could barely apply the basic principles as they related to employee benefits and changes. Rarely is there an HR presence should you need one, it is more of a chatting session when available. Not too mention you will not receive a copy of the company policy so take a picture for your records, because requesting a copy will not materialize.

Unless you are in a specialized field (i.e., Accountant, IT engineers, etc) you are replaceable as per the very top of senior management.

Some departments do not have the perk of autonomy; however, there is enough micromanaging and tattling to go around. There is to be no talking to your fellow employees as this is frowned upon even if your work is error-free, timely completed, and consistent.

Advice to Management

My goodness do not be afraid to apologize to your employees after they have been proven to have been wrongly accused. A good old fashioned apology goes a long way.

Every member of your organization has a direct affect on the success and failure of your company, no matter the "job title" or "position". Start respecting your employees and customers, respect is something that should be freely handed out.

"I liked my job, but wasn't crazy about the company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience in an art field. Can be very hands on depending on the department. Was able to learn the necessities of a fast-paced COMMERCIAL art dealer (most of their business is reproduction art on cruise ships).

Cons

Be prepared to work long hours. This environment is good for you if you have a very strong backbone.

Advice to Management

You have A LOT of really hard working employees, and almost none of them are recognized/paid for it. More respect is needed!

"Art Director"

Former Employee - Art Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Park West Gallery (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work on a cruise ship and meet people from other countries

Cons

Park West treats its employees, horribly, especially those working on the ships. Long hours, commission only, and lots of expenses. Ship medical $700 flights thousands of dollars per contract. You only get paid once a month. This is a job that after six months of working ten hours a day seven days a week you can actually lose money. I know auctioneers who got a Bill from park west at the end of the month instead of a paycheck. If you make a mistake or break one of their rules the fine you. For instance if you forget to get a customer's email even if the customer doesn't have one its a $50 fine.
    My advice is take any job on a cruise ship but stay away from Park West, there's a reason why they have a 99 percent turnover.

Advice to Management

Do unto others as you would like them to do to you.

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Is ok this job in artworks

Cons

not good pay, none opportunities

Advice to Management

inprove to the employees a better salary