Park West Gallery Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2020

3.3
Park West Gallery Founder & CEO         Albert Scaglione (no image)
Albert Scaglione
Pros
  • "Commission based, team work, travel the world(in 38 reviews)

• "The lifestyle of living on a cruise ship and traveling/working full-time is not for everyone, and some people don't last very long(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Ship life is not for everyone, long hours(in 24 reviews)

• "You have to do a medical exam for the cruise ship that can be quite expensive(in 15 reviews)

1. "Great place to work, lots of opportunities"

Former Employee - ARt Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a very dynamic place to work. Very customer-oriented. It teaches you so much about sales and about art. It honestly felt like going to school to get an art history degree. Plus, if you make a connection with your clients, you have the opportunity to make a lot of money.

Cons

There can be long hours and it's a sales job, so that either terrifies people of they thrive in that environment. It's up to you.

2. "Great short term opportunity"

4.0
    Former Employee - ARt Associate

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel the world, incredible sales training, meet tons of new people and artists, decent pay depending on your ship assignment

Cons

Ship life is not for everyone, long hours

3. COVID-19

"What's Less Than 0 Zero Stars?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel the world (maybe, depending on your nationality), maybe make good money after 4+ years of struggling

Cons

Where to begin... this company will use you for whatever you are able to give them then drop you like a bag of trash at the side of the road. While the world is trying to get a handle on COVID-19 and ships are allowing crew members to sign off to go home, Park West was refusing to pay for their independent contractor's flights home even though MLC law requires it! They never think about their staff or "ICs" as humans, remembering you have a life and family back home, and will force you to stay on the ship as long as is convenient for them. Some of their higher-ups made calls to ships saying that "MLC is no longer in place" and this is supposed to be one of their HR people! This unbelievably shady company who defies maritime laws, tells ship employees to turn a blind eye to being overworked, sexual harassment (if bring in enough revenue, you can do whatever you want to your onboard team!), not to mention their CEO is an offensive, crazy, xenophobe who exploits nationalities with a high exchange rate. He has an utter indifference to the fact that people working for him are actual humans. But don't worry, they've been telling everyone on ships that we have to stay, and won't get paid during that time! If they need something from you as an employee, they'll promise you whatever in the interim, just to deny it later on, the typical standard set from all the shady owners of the company. The majority of the art is fake, "embellished" back in the warehouse, not by the artist, but by a warehouse employee. They just reprint series after series, and mark up "unique" Peter Max paintings when everyone knows that Max is not painting anything these days. There have been numerous New York Times articles outlining their deception and falsification of Peter Max's art. I The owners are making it near impossible for anyone on ships to get home during this worldwide pandemic, and day by day laying off more of their shoreside employees who do care and are trying to help the people on ships in their galleries. I would never recommend ANYONE who wants to be treated like a human being work for this company.

April 8, 2020Recruitment Manager

I'm so sorry to hear that you feel this way. And you are 100% correct that Park West has had to lay off many great employees to cope with the complete cessation of revenue during this world wide pandemic. And if you were one of those laid off my sincere regrets to you and your family. I truly sympathize with you, and anyone else at PW, and all the other companies around the world, that have been laid off. However, it is completely incorrect to say that PW is refusing to pay for the flights home of any of their Independent Contractors. We are absolutely doing everything in our power to get everyone home as quickly as possible, often paying extremely high, well above market airfare to do so. And PW never forces anyone to stay on a ship past the length of their contract. It is possible that some of the people that are still on the ships right now might be at the end of their contracts and are currently unable to return home. Not because PW is making them stay, but because their respective home countries will not allow them to return as their borders have temporarily shut down. You are also correct that PW does use the services of Independent Contractors from around the world. Although I'm not sure why you would simultaneously assert that the CEO is a zenophobe? Those assertions seem to be in opposition. I am sorry though that you feel that using the services of people that happen to have a lower exchange in their home country is somehow exploitation. I can assure you that they do not feel that way, as they do very well financially. That is why they continue to provide services for many years and many of them recommend their friends and family members to do the same. The rest of your assertions are simply incorrect, and we do sincerely wish you and your family the very best of luck in these very challenging and difficult times.

4. COVID-19

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Southfield, MI

I worked at Park West Gallery part-time for more than a year

Pros

*You get paid when you work *You work with nice people, maybe *It was close to my home, but this may not be the case for everyone

Cons

*They lie the moment you interview, about flexibility and hours *They demand mandatory overtime almost every week *They tell you you'll work M-F, alternating Saturdays and when you work Saturday, you get a weekday off *This is a lie - the week you work Saturday, you will work M-Sat and mandatory OT when it is called *The department is like high school, but that is easy to move past *They pick and choose who they will do things for *Amid the Covid-19 pandemic, which is now, the owner had us not come in for a week *He claims it was for system failure, and never said if we were going to be paid for their errors *He and the director of client services then fired whoever asked about the pay *The don't care about their clients and care about their employees even less *Job itself was not bad, but would have been so much better if the company died

Continue reading
  5. "Park West good environment"

Current Employee - Art Auctioneer Assistant

I have been working at Park West Gallery full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have are very grateful to be able to go out in the ports and are in a department where the hours do vary quite a bit aswell it's helps with the job not becoming so mondane and monotonous.

Cons

Away from your loved ones

6. "Great Job for Americans who want to master sales and public speaking"

Former Employee - Principal Auctioneer in Miami, FL

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Builds your confidence like crazy. Fast promotions (I went from entry level to manager in less than 2 years). I got to paid to see Athens, Olympia, Mayan Ruins, Argentina, Alaska, Australia, Bermuda, Caribbean, the Colosseum, Vatican City, Patagonia, Rio de Janeiro, the PANAMA CANAL! Also saw lots of loads of amazing wildlife--orcas, humpbacks, toucans, bears (from a distance), sloths, PENGUINS, eagles, otters, sea lions, crabs, jellyfish, salmon swimming up stream!

Cons

Maritime environment is strict. Sometimes working with people other parts of the world and discover cultural differences. Work 7 days a week. Gained weight from cruise ship buffet.

7. "Let down"

Former Employee - ARt Associate

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

The training was extensive and educational. Amazing sales training

Cons

Had serious problems with the work environment and the quality of management. When reported, nothing was done

December 6, 2019Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing, and happy to hear that you enjoyed the training. We would really like to hear about what you reported and to whom so that we can make sure it was handled appropriately. It will be very helpful if you can provide more details so we can ensure whatever issue you had is addressed. Please email me directly: staylor@parkwestgallery.com.

8. "Bad management"

Former Employee - Auctioneer

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Travel, guest privileges, wear your own suits

Cons

People are promoted to management positions with no knowledge of how to manage

December 6, 2019Recruitment Manager

Happy you enjoyed the travel through this job, and sorry you felt some were promoted without sufficient management knowledge. You listed your position as an auctioneer so I’m sure you can attest to the fact that managing people is difficult. We do our very best to provide support to the various levels of managers and leaders and we welcome any feedback you have for how we can improve even further: email recruiters@parkwestgallery.com

9. "customer service Representative"

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time

Pros

small office and decent pay

Cons

unorganized management team, awfully understaffed

"Smug, Passive-Aggressive 'Entitlement' To Alienate Co-Workers"

Former Employee - IT Department in Southfield, MI

I worked at Park West Gallery full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to pretend you matter.

Cons

Extremely pretentious and smug about 1. having the majority of their I.T. department outsourced from the other side of the planet, and 2. Pride in being superficial, and smug about 'entitlement' to be passive aggressively alienating and mean towards any co-worker that is slightly 'different'. The 'entitlement' to be 'upset' and passive aggressive has more value than holding employees accountable for lack of planning, lack of cooperation, lack work ethic. The lack of *practical* leadership is lacking, and frequently the installed leadership overreacts emotionally over inconveniences -this further disables cooperation, as people feel 'entitled' to alienate anyone they do not "like", regardless of how late you stay, how early you show up for work, how much you want to learn and get along with co-workers. It is awful the lack of substance and common decency that is perpetuated among their prideful staff.

Found 111 reviews