Parker Hannifin Manufacturing Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Parker Hannifin CEO Tom Williams
Tom Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work independently - good pay - good benefits (in 58 reviews)

• Competitive pay and benefits (though not as good as they used to be) (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management isn't upfront and honest (in 37 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is non-existent (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great Company but needs minor changes to be even better"

Current Employee - Lean Manufacturing Engineer
    Current Employee - Lean Manufacturing Engineer

I have been working at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Company really cares about their employees' professional development
    -Very stable company (100+yrs)
    -Lots of divisions that make variety of different products = lots of opportunities for movement within the company.
    -Great managers that really love Parker

Cons

-Corporate structure can seem a little bureaucratic
    -Very average compensation vs market

2. "Good place to work"

Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Clyde, NY
    Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Clyde, NY

I worked at Parker Hannifin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Large company with many opportunities to progress and network. I worked with many talented people, contributed meaningfully, and worked on interesting new technology.

Cons

Chemical aroma in the facility.

3. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Morton, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Morton, IL

I have been working at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pro Engineering and value work

Cons

Slow moving machine and acquire business instead of grow own

Advice to Management

Re-invest in the staff and equipment

"Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

Parker is a great place to work if you're looking for a good work-life balance. Parker gives their employees the option to work a 9/80 schedule(every other Friday off). Working hours(start/quitting time) are fairly flexible, and most job responsibilities do not require an efficient employee to work overtime.

Cons

Parker does negotiate vacation allowance with employees. The amount of vacation employees accrue is solely based on years of service in the company. Parker is also not a pay competitor with other companies in industry, so attracting and retaining the best young talent has proven to be difficult.

Advice to Management

Seek out and compete for more efficient, motivated, and skilled employees by offering more competitive salaries. Continue to pursue a more effective workforce by "trimming the fat" and paying more effective employees a higher salary instead of overpaying underperformers that are just "cruising" in their positions and make higher salaries just because they've been employed for longer.

5. "lean intern"

Former Employee - Lean Manufacturing Engineer Trainee in Devens, MA
    Former Employee - Lean Manufacturing Engineer Trainee in Devens, MA

Pros

great company to work for awesome people. option to sign up for 90/40 scheduling where you get every other Friday off.

Cons

site i worked on was very small so the people and most of the people there have been working for over 15 years. so if you want to work in a youthful environment its not the best place for you

6. "Process Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Process/Manufacturing Engineer in Manitowoc, WI
    Former Intern - Process/Manufacturing Engineer in Manitowoc, WI

I worked at Parker Hannifin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People were friendly. Job was challenging yet engaging and manageable. Really easy to ask questions to any one (no one was rude or annoyed). Cleanest/most efficient plant I have worked at. When I made mistakes, I wasn't penalized. Instead I was shown how to do things properly (most drawings needed to be checked over and if I made a mistake that slipped by, my supervisor also accepted the mistake).

Cons

A lot to take in at first, but they gave plenty of time to get acclimated. Some value stream leaders seemed a bit out of touch with the workings on the floor.

Advice to Management

Make sure you understand why a production line is behind and try to fix it. Sometimes it felt like some value stream leaders ran numbers all day and were completely blind to repeated machine problems.

"Lack of management engagement. Lack of quality focus organization ."

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I worked at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely smart engineers who (for the majority) want to do the right thing and produce good product.

Cons

Management does not care as long as they meet their sales quota for the month. Several items are "ship in place" or just ship it even if its waiting on quality inspection.

Winnovation (product) review gates are an absolute joke especially when the GM ignores them and subsequently complains to quality when the product fails in the field.
    Root cause identifies design issues and managements response is "we cant hire because we need to lean out more departments."
    Then the cycle repeats, literally.

Lets just put it this way, a quality manager position was filled by an individual who has never been in quality role or had quality experience. They were a lean guru which turned on Parker.

Advice to Management

Be more involved and man up as a management team.

"Manufacturing Engineer"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Haslet, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Haslet, TX

I have been working at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to work in diverse facets of manufacturing. See the process from start to finished assembly

Cons

The compensation is extremely low for the industry standard. Management has an open door policy and talks about being honest with the employees and in the same sentence they are lying to them.

Advice to Management

Be up front and clear with the employees. People will back management who are honest. They will not back management who keeps secrets from them.

9. "Product Engineer on contract assignment. Great team of people to work with."

Former Contractor - Manufacturing Engineer in Rockford, IL
    Former Contractor - Manufacturing Engineer in Rockford, IL

I worked at Parker Hannifin as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best management methods I have seen.

Cons

Future projects and outcasts were not talked about nor relayed to employees.

Advice to Management

Good job. However, better communication with your core employees.

10. "Wonderful learning experience with great people!"

Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Parker Hannifin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with lots of friendly people.
    The people working there have a lot of enthusiasm for what they do. Many will take the time to explain concepts to you if you have a question about something.
    I personally didn't feel pressured to work longer hours than I needed to and often only stayed late to avoid traffic.

Cons

You're required to use some pretty old and buggy software. I understand it would cost a bundle to upgrade the company but I saw more DOS style windows there than I could count.
    Many senior engineers commented that new management was encouraging workers to do more with less. While it did not effect me personally, most people I spoke to about this seemed overwhelmed with the work being given to them.

Advice to Management

Consider giving your workers a bit more leisure to complete their current tasks before overloading them with new work. You'll likely lose a lot of good staff if this continues.