Parker Hannifin Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Parker Hannifin CEO Tom Williams
Tom Williams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work independently - good pay - good benefits (in 59 reviews)

• Parker is a great place to work if you're looking for a good work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management isn't upfront and honest (in 38 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is non-existent (in 14 reviews)

"Treat long term employees like garbage !"

Former Employee - Loyal Employee to A Fault in Lancaster, NY
    Former Employee - Loyal Employee to A Fault in Lancaster, NY

I worked at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had a job with good benefits for 25 years.

Cons

When they decide that the bottom line is all that matters...they close entire plants because people have 25-30 years and they can hire people cheaper if they start from scratch.

Advice to Management

Have some loyalty to the people that have helped you grow into the "big" corporation you have become. A lot of little guys get hurt so you can pound your chest! Stop pushing people out right around retirement!

"Welcome to the machine"

I worked at Parker Hannifin full-time

Pros

Pay was adequate. But, I've heard they recently fired most of the better paid employees.

Cons

Too political. Spent most of my time working on projects no one wanted to succeed.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking so heavily.

3. "Racor Division/Modesto Ca - Closing the doors in 2017"

Current Employee - Administrative in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great employer that cared for their workers. Long- term dedicated employees made the Racor division the profit center for the filtration group.

Cons

The 'bad' news was shared yesterday with employees during a town hall meeting in the manufacturing area of the plant. Due to the heat wave (100+ F) overhead fans were left running during the entire presentation. Very few employees could hear what staff members had to say and when questions were asked no one heard the question nor the answer. Staff members should be embarrassed, how can you discuss such a life changing event and not be heard clearly? Finally, not even one Parker group member attended the event to show their appreciation for all the years the Racor division made the filtration group profitable! By the way, the filtration group "big shots" were Clarcor employees (our competitor) that recently became Parker employees. Way to go guys...

Advice to Management

Your company (big or small) can't survive without dedicated employees. Unfortunately, profit for the shareholders is moreimportant.

"There is (some) benefit in process and standardization"

Pros

Autonomy, that is really all that comes to mind. The environment isn't competitive, but I wouldn't call it collaborative either.

Cons

I preface this review in that this is my experience within a corporate function over the last four years. I'm sure others have more positive experiences.

Parker is stuck somewhere between 1980 - 1985 (we use Lotus Notes, that'll give you an indication). There is no standardization nor affinity for process (at least within my group). People have built their inroads out of necessity (back-doors), but there is little desire to share them. The more back doors you have, the more job security you possess.

Corporate lost 10% of its workforce last year and I'll be surprised if Parker can retain valued young talent over the next five years.

"70 hrs/week is enough already. Say, "Thank you" rather than, "Time for another RIF""

I have been working at Parker Hannifin full-time

Pros

Nice people with strong work ethic

Cons

Work/Life Balance is non-existent. Career path available for the few and the thirty-somethings. Does not pay livable wages. The longer you stay at Parker, the lesser you are valued. Business systems still run on DOS green screens. Antiquated, non-integrated systems reduce efficiencies and increase margin for error (multiple points of manual data entry). Regular headcount reductions with expectation of those who remain and already overworked (60-70 hrs/week) to make up for it. Low morale. Team Leaders fighting over manpower and pushing workload on to other departments since their staff has been cut too deep. No time to develop ideas. No time to be pro-active. (Good place to work if you like the chaos of firefighting.) Lack of appreciation. Perfect example, Parker recently hit it's 100th year! Quite the reason for a big celebration. Everyone was cattle-called through a conference room to pick up their free cupcake.

Advice to Management

Be good leaders as well as good number crunchers. Get out from behind the desk and see what you are doing to people. While you're benchmarking how many people we should have, also benchmark how efficient the IT systems are; you might figure out why we can't get the same work done with the same number of people.

6. "Run your company correctly"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chetek, WI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chetek, WI

I worked at Parker Hannifin as a contractor

Pros

Is apparently in need of workers.

Cons

To lazy to hire your own employees. You are looking out on hiring quality people going through the Manpower temp agencies. I would work for your company and have 28 years of industrial experience but no way I'm going to a temp agency to get a job!

Advice to Management

Hire your own employees instead of paying cut throat temp services to do it for you.

"Charlotte EMN & SSD Drives"

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good office supply closet stock

Cons

No raises, very poor upper management, bad coffee, you name it. When SSD Drives was acquired by the EMN division they began a quest to purge all existing SSD management from the company, much to the detriment of the business.

Advice to Management

Allow the managers that understand the industry and the product to run that business. If you want to establish two different classes of employees for raises/opportunities, don't annnoune that in an employee meeting.

"Control Systems Division"

I have been working at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the team members are great to work with. Very fast paced.

Cons

Many have been there over 30 years and those team members are retiring in droves in part because of eligibility but I think primarily the working conditions. While I have been there there have been at least 5 rounds of lay-offs in 2 years. Team members are consistently working overtime to play catch up. Certain tasks require team members to bill to indirect labor, but team leaders are encouraged to keep team members from billing to indirect labor, which makes it difficult to get those tasks completed.

There is new management and with that comes changes, in this case big changes. Complete restructuring of each location, team leaders having to reapply for their team leader positions and not even told if they have one weeks later.

The moral at each location is LOW. The teams are pushed to get product out on time, which is normal, but you need suppliers to get the parts in on time in order to do that. The end of the month is always a fire drill for the mighty dollar.

If you love stress, this company will not let you down.

The insurance for a company as large as Parker Hannifin is quite expensive when the deductable, co-pay, and co-insurance are figured in. If you have any health problems, you will likely pay out the nose. If you are healty and don't have much for health concerns, then probably not an issue.

In some cases this company will promote from within, but most likely the management will look outside and will bring in their cronies. It used to be that four years working on the floor was equivalent to one year of college education, but that is no longer the case. So if you started working at Parker out of high school and did not go to school at night to get the college education you are not promotable because you do not have the degree.

Advice to Management

Listen to the Team Members. Get out on the floor and really get to understand the issue, rather sit in your office believing that you understand the issues. You may understand the $$, but from a people perspective, you are lost in that world!

"Think they can"

Former Contractor - Machinist in Tucson, AZ
    Former Contractor - Machinist in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Parker Hannifin as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Money and overtime. That's all

Cons

Long hours
    Management don't know Jack
    Engineer​s can't figure problems
    Drama
    Crybaby's
    Need box of mantoms
    Required to work 6 days a week because management can't do time management

Advice to Management

Train your people right
    Don't throw people on machine with no trading or guidelines.
    Do follow your own guideline for the system

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ravenna, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ravenna, OH

I worked at Parker Hannifin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits and hours.

Cons

Management out of touch with customer needs.

Advice to Management

Management too into themselves and out of touch with customer needs. Company has grown to the point that the only thing that matters is the bottom dollar over customer and employee. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.