Parker & Lynch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
David Alexander

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good clients to work with and many opportunities to earn (in 3 reviews)

• You work with some really great people that make the workday very fun (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Most offices have trouble retaining good people (in 2 reviews)

• Poor leadership, no development, lack of direction, strict hours (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great opportunity, great earning potential"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in Washington, DC

I have been working at Parker & Lynch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very competitive commission structure w/ unlimited earning potential. Day to day autonomy, little to no micromanagement.

Cons

Current technology is somewhat outdated, expecting upgrade in 2018.

2. "Get to work with my favorite people!"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Parker & Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- working with a supportive team
    - fun office/team building activities
    - learning something new from every person you meet
    - working in the heart of downtown DC
    - making an impact by helping people find their dream jobs

Cons

- the commute can be a pain!

3. "Wow"

Former Employee - Meaningless
    Former Employee - Meaningless

I worked at Parker & Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In terms of compensation, I believe they are pretty much the norm for recruiting but they should explain it better before making offers.

I can't think of anything positive to say about the Parker and Lynch legal division except that I am glad to be far away from anything or anyone connected to it.

Cons

All the really good people came and went, including the best manager they've probably ever had and some others who just couldn't stomach the ridiculousness that passes for management and "coaching". If your best people leave and you find excuses to keep the mediocre or even worst among you, why would you expect anyone of quality to stay when that is the example being held up for everyone to see?

More than one review references the drinking both in and out of the office which in my experience was a total turn off because the behavior became unprofessional and at times utterly offensive. I'm not a prude but there are limits to what should be talked about in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Management is notoriously afraid to fire people that should be fired. What you don't realize is in the eyes of your employees you are only as good as the worst among you and you set a pretty low bar.

"Bad Eggs in Management"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Parker & Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

unlimited compensation; not much micromanagement

Cons

very cliquey; very negative manager

Advice to Management

pay attention to the morale

"The best in the staffing business"

Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Parker & Lynch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent corporate culture, highly competent and professional colleagues, good commission structure, good training, good team-building events.

Cons

The hours can be long, but that is the nature of this business.

Advice to Management

The office needs to be remodeled. Other than that, this is a great place to work.

"BEWARE!"

Former Employee - Attorney Search Director in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Attorney Search Director in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Parker & Lynch full-time

Pros

Clean workplace, paid training, excellent benefits.

Cons

I am an attorney. While I did read the numerous negative reviews posted on this site before accepting the offer, I needed a break from the practice of law and decided to give P + L a try. I regret the experience and was horrified to learn the following:

I was told that I was being offered the position of "Attorney Search Director",
    - I was not the "director" of anything. The title was misleading as the position was not supervisory in anyway.

I was told that many Attorney Search Directors found lasting employment w/ P+L.
    - I was not able to find one colleague that was in my position (not management) that had been employed with P + L for over a year. In fact, at my branch, the longest working employee in my position at my branch lasted only 11 months. ***This employee only made 3 placements in the 11 months she was w/the company!!***

I was told that commission that I would receive at least a 20% commission on every attorney that I placed. That would mean that I would make a minimum of $20,000.00 per placement!
    - In training it was revealed that the it was the company that would receive 20%. I would receive, at the very best, 10%. However, many times I would have to share that 10% w/another team member making my percentage 5%. To my horror, I also learned in training that I may have to split the 10% 4 ways! Since you are paid on a draw, once the amount that you were advanced via the draw is deducted from your commission and taxes are paid, its like you weren't paid a commission at all!

I was told that one of my coworkers was the "rainmaker" of my branch.
    - I learned that this coworker had only made 1 placement in 6 months! Surely her commission from her one placement was wiped out by 6 months of draw.

I was told the company was well established.
    - I learned that while Adecco and Special Counsel are established in the recruiting industry, P + L has been in operation LESS THAN 3 YEARS! .

Finally, I was told that P + L had a very bad reputation in the legal recruiting industry and if I ever wanted to obtain another position in the industry, it's best to leave P + L off my resume.

Advice to Management

None

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Parker & Lynch full-time

Pros

Excellent resources, nice and driven people, positive culture
    Lucrative

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"executive recruited"

Pros

There is nothing to recommend this company. They do a lousy, unprofessional job at executive recruiting but then that's pretty much state of the art in the industry.

Cons

This is a highly unprofessional company as are most executive recruiting firms.

"Executive recruiter"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter in Edison, NJ

I worked at Parker & Lynch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Originally when I joined in 2014 I loved it and as recruiters we had so much freedom and flexibility and as long as you billed no one cared what you did which is how it should be since you are on all commission here..over the past year the company went wayyyy downhill everyone is so miserable. Soo many metrics, micromanagement, zero flexibility, decreased vacation time, everyone constantly thinks they are being fired, everyone drinks excessively most days of the week just to cope, everyone's family lives are suffering from the stress..pretty much everyone is leaving or trying to leave. And my favorite thing is they brainwash people here and tell you it's the best job ever lol get real.

Cons

The draw sucks, can take forever to get paid, very hard to get new clients as a lot of recruiters are very tenured ..one month you make 25k the next 2k ..very hard to budget like that .. Oh also micromanagement, metrics metrics metrics, quantity not quality .. As soon as you aren't billing they threaten you even if you historically are a top biller and they try brainwashing you telling you it's so great and you can't make as much money elsewhere which is a total blatant lie. Everyone is soooo miserable and hates it and constantly complains

Advice to Management

You are 100% going to lose a lot of good people. You are only lucky because the super tenured people unfortunately can't leave and get another job otherwise they would

"Turnover is what they're best at"

Former Employee - Business Development Director
    Former Employee - Business Development Director

I worked at Parker & Lynch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hiring dynamic people

Cons

- Don't invest in people. They take people through an intense hiring process and then if you get behind on your draw, they cut you.
    - Negative, unwelcoming, competitive environment
    - Terrible commission structure

Advice to Management

If you are going to have an excellent, thorough interview process, don't then act like people are so disposable. Invest, train, cultivate talent