Parkland Health & Hospital System Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Frederick P. Cerise, MD, MPH

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Schedules, rigid management styles, "points" system for call-ins with no lee-way given for doctors notes or emergencies, poor work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• You'll hear alot of lip from upper management about big changes but very rarely is it acted on (in 10 reviews)

1. "cpht"

I have been working at Parkland Health & Hospital System full-time

Pros

love the people i work with

Cons

there is nothing to work towards, like a higher position

2. "Great place for career in medicine"

I worked at Parkland Health & Hospital System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Parking is terrible. Little regard was given to employee parking at new center.

Advice to Management

Not sure how but figure out parking situation.

3. "Director"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Parkland Health & Hospital System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Parkland’s mission and vision is admirable

Cons

Long working hours can be overwhelming

Advice to Management

Prioritize initiatives and reallocate resources accordingly to support the departments meeting their goals and expectations.

4. "I worked for Vendor Hospital specializing in tracks"

Pros

Well the reason why I would love to work for Parkland Hospital is because my children was born their and it was so nice threw my deliveries.

Cons

Just being very attentive, Being the best that you can be in taking care of the patients. Always remember to put your- self in them same shoes.

Advice to Management

Well, I can remember one time in(1989) that I asked the D.O.N to ask the R.N to help me with the patients that needs to be turn due to the trake and she reply (NO) !!! Well that's though Management and I hope that I'll never have to encounter that again and get back into taking care of God's children ages 3=70 BABIES & ELDERLY.

5. "Okay company, poor leadership"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Parkland Health & Hospital System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. If you're willing to stick around, most employees who do can get decent pay. Never had to work more than an 8.5 hour/9 hour day - only heard this happening if you work in HR.

Cons

You'll hear alot of lip from upper management about big changes but very rarely is it acted on. Loads of money wasted on directors and VPs. . Very top heavy organization that gets very political and games of who's favorite is played. Parking is terrible. Always the excuse of 'no money' since it's a public hospital so training and career development is limited.

6. "Culture has changed and not for the better. Extremely top heavy. They do not care about employees anymore."

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

Team I️ work with is great. I’ve met many good friends and connections. Pension plan is good. My immediate leader respects the staff.

Cons

Benefits are getting worse. Pay increases are low. No room for growth. Money is wasted. Leadership is lacking. Low morale. Workers are not trusted or respected.

Advice to Management

Favorite is rampant. Staff is not respected.

"Stay out of IT department"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Parkland Health & Hospital System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a job with ok benefits.

Cons

This is the Dallas county hospital, and deals are made with the Dallas City Counsel. Not a great place to work. Priorities change all the time, rules aren't followed, and IT is the step-child.

Advice to Management

Sell the management of the hospital to Baylor.

8. "RN"

Pros

Great experience working at this hospital

Cons

Location is far since I live in Richardson.

9. "Like others: watch out for management/directors; great coworkers"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Parkland Health & Hospital System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good comradery amongst individual level positions. Enjoyed the teams I worked with. Benefits are decent. Pension requirements have gone from 4.5 to 6.2 % of your pay mandatory in 2 years.

Cons

No WFH for eligible employees. Buildings and infrastructure are old and gross. Food isnt great. If you work at the hospital - expect to walk 10+ minutes from parking spot. Management is very top heavy and political. Almost anyone can get a job without meeting minimum qualifications by a signature from someone in the C-suite. Because it's a public hospital - not much money to go around for training or employee morale. Most people who have been there 10+ years have gotten a cushy paying position and just wont leave because of that - but most would admit Parkland is not their first choice of employers. Everyone else stays <5 years. A lot of people come to Parkland and 'hide' within their respective divisions - which draws a salary but doesnt come with a lot of work - so you have a few good people who do a lot of good work, but overall Parkland will never really be able to dig itself out of the pit it's in because these people exist in high numbers.

Dont let them fool you on PTO - it looks like you're getting almost 5 weeks from the outset but they require you to use PTO 9 days a year for holidays (Xmas, Thanksgiving, July 4th, MLK day, etc.)

Advice to Management

Work-life balance. Not everyone wants OT even if it does pay more. WFH.

"NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A VACATION DUE TO UNDERSTAFFING"

Pros

Less punitive time and attendance policy than in previous years; aspiring to magnet status; partial tuition reimbursement; new building near DART light rail station

Cons

Notorious for hiring external candidates for key positions; top-heavy organization; few opportunities for internal promotions; stagnating environment; very little regard for non-management employees; yearly pay for rank-and-file employees rarely exceeds 2-3% while management enjoys top yearly incentives (same as bonuses); sharply focused on patient satisfaction with minimal regard for employee satisfaction; alarmingly understaffed, which threatens patient safety and makes taking time off very difficult; inflexible scheduling; roomy patient rooms in contrast to lack of adequate break areas and employee restrooms; strict hierarchical structure, as is typical in healthcare; expensive and gross cafeteria food; distant and scarce employee parking; unsafe parking lot

Advice to Management

Encourage work-life balance of the workforce by offering flexible work hours when possible; allow interested employees to work from home to avoid commute, when possible; increase staffing so that employees can take time off as needed/desired