Parkside Lending Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matthew J. Ostrander

Pros
  • No place is perfect, but Parkside continues to work towards a healthy work-life balance as well as truly following their core values (in 6 reviews)

• Free breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Wednesdays (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's become evident in the actions of upper management that caring doesn't actually get you anywhere (in 4 reviews)

• Do not listen to the positive reviews (in 3 reviews)

1. "Loan Closer/Funder"

Former Employee - Wholesale Loan Closer/Funder in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Wholesale Loan Closer/Funder in Oswego, IL

I worked at Parkside Lending (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming HR Department and loved the small office.

Cons

Unexpected lay off and no option for another postion

Jan 17, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Glad to hear you had a positive experience while you were here. While we try to mitigate the ups and downs of the industry as much as possible, Unfortunately lay-offs are a part of the volatility of ... More

2. "They actually care, repeatedly."

Current Employee - Operations in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Parkside Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here has been a dream come true. The mantra is for lack of better words, just get your job done, oh, and here's a team of people to help you! I can come in and leave whenever I please as long as my 8 hours are completed efficiently. I have co workers who treat the people around them like a work family. There's rarely drama. Occasionally, they feed us. Actually, in SF they feed us twice a week, if not more! Not sure about across the US. When you give feedback, they reply. When you share ideas, they listen. It's really great!

Cons

You know how there's this common conception of upper management that has a worldview of whatever is good for the company, that's what we'll do? I seem to see that here starting at the very top, trickling down. Their tagline is "Experience the Power of Caring" but they don't do that 100%. I will state that after the mortgage meltdown and revival, they've managed to keep afloat and continuously employ more and more people. I think the culture needs to become even more employee empowered. advice below.

Advice to Management

Give the employees that work the hardest more of a voice...especially when they express their opinions about processes that aren't seeming to work. You tout the ability to share ideas, but some of the ideas are completely ignored when they could have made the processes better. I recommend open sharing of ideas with the ability for other employees to vote on them if they like the idea, but then also give their feedback about how that idea wouldn't or would work better... Also, take note of the mortgage banking industry's salaries/hourly wages and give people a realistic raise...but don't wait for annual bullshat. if you see merit, award it where it counts! A couple pickles doesn't help Johhny get that trip to the ballgame for his birthday. If you can't see affording realistic raises for a consistent increase in income, then give better bonuses to the entire workforce. The CEO could attempt to become more familiar with the lower operations day to day "stuff" so that the lower on totem pole people could see the "Caring" comes from the very top.

Jan 28, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for raising the point about employee feedback and having “a voice.” We’ve been thinking about that topic a lot given the accelerated growth in 2015 and 2016 and then the crazy volume last year ... More

"management is horrible"

Former Employee - QC Processor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - QC Processor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Parkside Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly staff, hours ok , pay horrible

Cons

management cant make decisions

Advice to Management

grow up

Jan 17, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t have a positive experience at Parkside. We welcome and ask for feedback from our team members and regret that we didn’t have the opportunity to address your ... More

5. "Fantastic Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Parkside Lending full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture and people make Parkside a fantastic place to work.

Cons

Half of the company is remote and spread across the country so it can be challenging to collaborate at times.

Advice to Management

Keep reaching out to employees and keep up the great work!

Nov 4, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback here. We are all very glad to hear that things are going well.

"Company that cares...mostly."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Parkside Lending (Less than a year)

Pros

Parkside is clearly invested in fostering a positive culture for employees and its clients. The online Sharepoint allows employees to submit suggestions for improving software and operational functions. It also accounts for human-resources and company culture concerns. Additionally, employees are encouraged to send "pickles", which are the token of the company's peer-to-peer recognition program. All these features are regularly monitored and remarked upon. Parkside does a nice job of accepting employee input from all levels, and of recognizing the hard work of its people.

Training at Parkside is good on the whole. They are willing to take on applicants with no experience in the mortgage industry (in entry-level positions), and teach them the works. Training is effective at the job-specific level, but I still think Parkside could do a better job of introducing employees to the workings of the mortgage industry on the whole. I still sometimes feel like I only know my small piece of the puzzle, and could benefit from a more holistic understanding of the industry.

Finally, this is a small detail, but I really enjoy the monthly Town Hall meetings with CEO Matt. I'm not high enough on the totem pole to speak to his managerial capabilities, but he is a charismatic figure head for the company. The Town Hall broadcasts are a great way for him to communicate to employees regarding progress at Parkside, and to have a little fun.

Cons

Well... it's mortgage. Don't expect a ton of variety, especially in the lower operational positions. The work here is repetitive and occasionally mind-numbing. Problems do arise that require quick-thinking, but on the whole this is not a place for someone who needs constant stimulation. You will be sitting at a desk for the entire day, and your eyes will be become intimate with your computer screen.

The compensation is fair, though barely enough for someone attempting to live in San Francisco. Were I located in a more reasonable city, this may not be such a concern. Additionally, the yearly raises that accompany employee reviews are paltry. I believe opportunities for advancement at Parkside are available, but be ready to wait. It can be a slow-moving beast.

Advice to Management

Reward employees more readily with financial incentives, especially when more work is taken on by said employees.

Hire more assistant managers! Our bosses are sometimes unresponsive, simply by nature of being over-worked.

Nov 4, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback here. We put a lot of effort into the continued fostering of our culture and our employees experience. While we like to promote from within when ever we can we ... More

7. "Horrible. The worse job I have ever had. Training is horrible the managers are horrible. Well except Robin."

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Parkside Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None at all. There were really no pros.. well they provided drinks and food on certain days.

Cons

Dont work here.. there are better companies in california, arizona, and Texas that you can find.. The management team. Rick and Mike really tries to sell the company when you interview. However, it isn't any place that I would ever go back to and that's after a year of working there. Benefits are expensive. It is very micro managed. My manager was very challenging for lack of better words. Brokers are rude. Their underwriting style is very different.

Advice to Management

Training.

8. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Sales staff has great Sales management they can rely on. They understand strategy to increase production and market share and help with Operational issues. Sales seems like a family and are willing to share ideas.
    Executive team take calculated risk to ensure the longevity of the organization.

Cons

Not a perfect company but has a culture of improvement.

May 15, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to not only visit this site but to contribute. We appreciate your feedback and candor.

9. "Pretty darn good Lender"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Parkside Lending full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, communicative, responsive to market conditions and client needs.

Cons

Somewhat disorganized on some levels. Operations team needs improvement and in general underwriting has too many overlays and the overlays don't represent market risk. In other words, there are arbitrary overlays that need to be looked at to determine if they actually create greater risk.

Advice to Management

Look at overlays to determine whether the overlays are really a risk to Parkside. the overlay list is very incomplete. Ask sales team for the REAL overlay list so that they can provide feedback.

May 15, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback here.

"Lots of hype, little substance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Parkside Lending full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company growing and doing well. CEO is charismatic and likable in front of a crowd. He casts a good vision and gets people excited at semi-annual all-hands meetings.

Cons

Senior management is aloof and isolated from workforce. Salaries are below average. Parkside is a private company with no plan for profit sharing or opportunity to invest in company which makes it hard to feel like you're part of building something. Key people leaving. Culture reflects daily grind of just punching a clock, putting in your hours, and getting out. Little growth or development opportunities. No annual review for 2015 and no raises but zero communication about it. Shortsighted in terms of laying people off when volume slows. (Positive Outlook is not correct. Should be Negative. Don't know how to edit that.)

Advice to Management

Profit sharing or stock option program. Employee development and advancement programs.

Apr 15, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

We appreciate your views and are disappointed to hear that this is your experience. After a year of significant growth to establish our national footprint, we are focusing on internal optimization ... More

11. "Great culture!"

I have been working at Parkside Lending full-time

Pros

I like that Parkside solicits information from its employees (all of its employees) on how to improve processes. They have great benefits and they do care about employees well-being. They also strive to reward employees who exemplify the company values.

Cons

They have some policies and procedures that aren't clearly documented yet but they're working on that, and have a plan in place to fix it.

Apr 11, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

I just want to take a moment to say thank you for taking the time to post a response. It is important to the future of Parkside Lending that our community is strong and growing. As such, I ... More