Parkview Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Parkview Medical Center President and CEO Mike Baxter
Mike Baxter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great team work amongst colleagues (in 4 reviews)

• I love working there but keep my eyes open for something else because i dont see any positive changes coming in the future (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately, this takes time away from patient care (in 5 reviews)

• Very high turnover in HR department (in 3 reviews)

1. "The real life of the Parkview ER Tech"

Current Employee - ER Tech in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - ER Tech in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Parkview Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Scope expands through the roof. Here as an ER Tech you will do iv, lab draw, 12 lead ekg, EJ, IO, wound anesthesia, wound care, custom splinting and many other small things not compared to the above core responsibilities.

You will become one of the IV experts of the hospital and be able to hang with flight for life for your IV skills. If you want to become insanely good with these skills this is the place for you.

It is rare for us to do an IO ( drilling into the bone for access ) you will become so creative where you can get an IV on a pt you learn to make it happen. You will have more level 1 and 2 trauma then you can ever keep count of you will become very good at sticking kiddos as well. Once again thousands of IV sticks a year

Cons

We are more busy then ever in the ER. Depending on how the schedule lands the ER Tech can be responsible for 12 to 27 patients by yourself while your 70 + pts deep in the waiting room. While this is happening pueblo has a very bad heroin problem so most of your pts veins will be shot this can consume time even for the best of us. Besides that group of pts you also have some other groups that for medical reasons have veins in bad shape that can be a great challenge. On top of that you will get calls from the floors for help because that floor of nurses, the doctor, and other floors that sent their best sticks need help because they all failed to establish an IV thus everyone counts on you all while this is happening. You can drawn very easily here but if you make it you will be one ofnthe best in this aspect of ems.

Advice to Management

Management is good on nights they have your back and want the best for you their hands are just a little tied to help you further then what the hospital will allow.

Jun 23, 2017 – Digital Marketing Specialist

We appreciate the feedback and we're happy to hear you enjoy your job! We are proud and grateful to have such talented individuals like you working with us. We appreciate your expertise and talent... More

2. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Physician Assistant-GI in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - Physician Assistant-GI in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Parkview Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, four 10 hr shifts, good benefits (health insurance, 401K), great staff

Cons

Salary, PTO-you have to use 2 days of vacation before you can use any sick leave

Advice to Management

Change the PTO/sick leave rules

Jun 9, 2017 – Digital Marketing Specialist

Thanks for your recommendation. We want to clarify our policy is 8 hours of PTO is used before sick, but years ago when the policy was introduced, we added an additional 24 hours of PTO as a benefit... More

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Parkview Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Parkview Medical Center is a great place to work. There are a lot of long term employees here, including our Senior Management Team. Working here feels like one big family. We're all here to meet the same Mission and Vision and to provide excellent service and quality care to our community and our patients. There are always opportunities for career growth as well as educational opportunities.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. It's just a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You make employees feel valued.

Apr 28, 2017 – Digital Marketing Specialist

Thank you for the review! We agree that Parkview is a big family and opportunities to grow within.

"RN/Charge Oncology"

Former Employee - RN/Charge in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - RN/Charge in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Parkview Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent job, very busy, good hours.

Cons

Political harassment, no chance of advancement.

Advice to Management

Be aware of seniority and the effort of staff to be the best of the best.

Feb 21, 2017 – Digital Marketing Specialist

Thanks for your feedback, in regards to the political harassment and no chance of advancement, if you'd like to discuss this further, please contact us at the employment office at 719.584.4857.

5. "Former Employee."

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Parkview Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your Coworkers become like family.

Cons

Supervisors play Favorites most of the time.

Feb 20, 2017 – Digital Marketing Specialist

We apologize we didn't meet your expectations. We are happy to hear you think we have a family feel, but we apologize you felt supervisors played favorites. If you'd like to reach out to us directly... More

6. "Medical Laboratory Scientist"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Parkview Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Personally I absolutely love my job at Parkview Medical Center. I have worked here for over 3 years and it is by far the best job I have ever held. The company has great benefits including a 401 K plan, generous amounts of PTO, great health and dental insurance, they even helped me to pay off my school loans.

Cons

Occasionally it can be difficult to get my schedule switched around to have a certain day off, but 90% of the time this is not the case, and when it does happen it is usually because I want a day off with short notice.

Advice to Management

I think that sometimes the why behind a policy or decision is sometimes not communicated to all the employees as well as it could be.

Feb 20, 2017 – Digital Marketing Specialist

Thank you for the comments. We will definitely use this information to figure out a better way of communicating changes out to the hospital. We do appreciate the feedback and we're happy to hear that... More

7. "Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pueblo, CO

Pros

Parkview is a community of staff dedicated to your personal and professional growth. If you are interested you can seek out opportunities to work on new projects and develop new skills. HR has excellent resources that can help you complete college education and continuing education. There is a terrific university in town that can help you meet your educational needs. Parkview's culture is very supportive to students and administration is highly supportive of educational endeavors. Another big pro is that Parkview is not part of a system. As such the supervisory teams engage employees on the front lines in decision making processes so that we can serve our local community's needs. The decisions that are made are aligned with patients that are seen here at our facility. There is no corporate administration in a far-away town making decisions for operations - our leaders live in our community and take the time to understand our challenges and our successes.

Cons

I love working at Parkview and I can't imagine working anywhere else!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Feb 20, 2017 – Digital Marketing Specialist

Thank you for the awesome feedback. We agree that we're a great place to grow and we too appreciate that we are local. There is not a corporate feel and we believe we're family here. We're happy to... More

"Room for Improvement but excellent staff"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Parkview Medical Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO Mike Baxter is engaging, remembers employee's names (very impressive with around 3000 employees) and genuinely seems to care.

Many employees are excellent, especially among RNs.

Physicians and mid-levels are excellent.

Hospital is clean.

High level of care is consistently provided to patients.

Cons

Need for improved technical issues and improved support for nursing staff from other departments. This is honestly my biggest complaint. A task as simple as checking a blood sugar can take an inordinate amount of time when patient touch devices lose service or crash for no apparent reason. Glucometer scanners are hypersensitive and inadvertent scanning of blood band or other barcodes results in threats of mandatory education or locking nurses out of using glucometers entirely. Pt. touch devices are programmed to ask nurses for illogical follow-ups (yes, I really did give that 30 mL of prostat, why am I charting this twice?) Pharmacy techs are routinely rude when answering the phone and medications can take HOURS to arrive despite multiple calls and requests, despite being ordered stat. It is simply accepted among nursing staff that when ordering many things in meditech, for example an enteral feeding pump or formula, one must also call sterile stores or distribution or the item wont arrive for hours. Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech therapy generally do an excellent job but at times are impossible to find (patients need these services on weekends just as much as weekdays). These are just examples of a generalized problem of stacking tasks on nurses. Unfortunately, this takes time away from patient care. Also, the idea of retaining staff would be better served by across the board raises for: critical care, period. The acquisition of advanced certifications. Having a bachelors degree These are clear cut rewards and would be better at retaining gifted staff instead of a highly complicated and somewhat arbitrary tier system. Need for a more comprehensive list of protocols, although to be fair this is improving.

Advice to Management

Possibly hire an informatics RN or increase communication with tech support. It should not be a busy RN's job to fix the above issues. Make a better process for improvement than writing punitive and time consuming quantros reports when processes or departments are slow or ineffective. Raises for critical care without the need to jump through hoops (having many additional certifications, being exposed to high stress situations, death and dying, and I would imagine higher risk of legal liability all make this common sense). Raises for BSN, advanced certifications.

Jul 29, 2016 – Parkview Medical Center Talent Acquisitions Manager

Thanks for your patience while I researched your concerns. It is so nice to read great comments about Parkview Medical Center (PMC) our engaging CEO, excellent teammates and staff, and our efforts to... More

9. "Medical Coder"

Former Employee - Medical Coder in Pueblo, CO
    Former Employee - Medical Coder in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Parkview Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great CEO, very involved and engaged. Overall a very positive direction and bringing salaries up to be more competitive. Some very impressive leadership.
    Reason for leaving - relocation.

Cons

Difficult to keep up with growth (not enough staff), outdated/inadequate EHR, although that was planned to be replaced. Some longtime staff resistant to the positive direction - "change".

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. Stay the course.

Jul 19, 2016 – Parkview Medical Center Talent Acquisitions Manager

I never get tired of reading positive reviews, and especially from employees noticing the changes we are implementing. We are working hard to not just update some of our older systems, but get... More

"Parkview is my family"

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Project Specialist in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Parkview Medical Center part-time

Pros

Parkview has been a big part of my life and truly a "member of my family" for 30 years. I love working because of the family atmosphere. I feel like coworkers and management care about the quality of services we provide to our patients and there is a feeling of belonging to a great team of people that stick together and help each other accomplish that goal.

Cons

As in any big organization there is a very small percentage of employees that abuse the system and their colleagues end up doing extra work to cover for them thus creating unnecessary morale problems. Holding everyone accountable is one of our values, but sometimes it seems like the "cheaters" (long breaks, smoking breaks, fake sick days, etc. )don't get held accountable.

Advice to Management

Just try to identify the few that, through their bad work ethics, make it harder on the rest of us. I know it isn't easy to proves sometimes, but if employees see the management trying, that will help raise hopes that it may get solved. Don't just say to your employees that... "You know it's a political thing, they're friends with the boss"... Or something similar. That's a disheartening answer.

Jul 29, 2016 – Parkview Medical Center Talent Acquisitions Manager

Thank you for your great review, and truthfully, I don’t see a simple response to your comments. I do want to mention that you have a very good perspective on things that sometimes do happen at the... More