Parkway School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Parkway Swim Club"

Current Employee - Assistant Swim Coach in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Swim Coach in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Parkway School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible
    Good Culture
    Good Coworkers
    Fun to be around the kids

Cons

Potential for late evening work hours
    Potential for early morning work hours
    Weekend work hours

2. "All depends on your principal, they can make it or break it."

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Parkway School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great district, was hoping this assistant teaching position would lead into a lead teaching position but quickly found out the principal never hires TAs. Makes no sense to me.

Cons

Overly data driven. It takes time away from actually teaching when you have to focus so much on how the data looks.

3. "28 out of 33 years have been spent teaching elementary grades in Parkway and have loved every minute of it."

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Manchester, MO
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Manchester, MO

I have been working at Parkway School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Numerous opportunities for professional development, encouragement given from supervisors to move up the pay scale quickly, friendly work environment, autonomy in teaching. After all these years, I can truly say that I have never been left wanting for something. Everything I've needed to do my job they have given to me. It has been a dream job.

Cons

Expectations are high for teachers to reach every child where they are , which makes for a lot of planning on the teachers part. Numerous hours are spent on this but it is well worth it when you have the results you wanted in the end.

Advice to Management

Remember teachers need time with their families so upload every component of the prospective lessons so the teachers aren't left searching for components which takes much time. Also, to the coordinators, be visible and present with the teachers. Get into the trenches with us. Co teach an entire unit so you never loose reality.

4. "Unemployed"

Former Employee - Lunchroom Supervisor in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Lunchroom Supervisor in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Parkway School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's best to hold a more convenient job that can easily make you flexible and have confidence.

Cons

Doesn't have enough hourly rates that makes it not necessarily a regular job.

Advice to Management

Having enough confidence, energy, and pride to work for a position that has been chosen.

5. "Parkway"

Former Employee - Secretary in Maryland Heights, MO
    Former Employee - Secretary in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at Parkway School District (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a good experience and great training.

Cons

The upper management is not always concerned with their employees problems they may have with an issue.

6. "Great District"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Parkway School District (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything about working here was great. I wish I could have stayed on permanently but the position that I filled isn't a full time position.

Cons

There are no cons to this district. I found it to be a wonderful, friendly place to work. I was exposed to many intelligent, wonderful people and enjoyed my time there immensely.

Advice to Management

Wonderful district - I would recommend it to anyone for interim or full time employment.

7. "Great school district...strong salaries...plenty of opportunity for training"

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Ballwin, MO

I worked at Parkway School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Parkway School District has an excellent reputation and is considered to be one of the best school districts in the St. Louis region. Parkway's demographics are relatively diverse and the district aspires to meet the needs of all members of its community by making sure they offer teacher training and inservices. The district offers strong curricular supports such as instructional coaches and mentoring programs. Higher education is valued and the district reimburses for a certain number of approved college credits per year towards acquisition of a Masters or a Masters +30. Additionally, the district's salary schedule provides for salary compensation as those hours accrue. A strong benefits package with options is provided.

Cons

Parkway is a huge district...18 elementary schools, five middle schools, four large high schools and one alternative high school. If you are looking forward to working in a more intimate district where everyone knows one another, Parkway would not be that place. Because running a large machine is often more complicated, large scale changes to curriculum, report cards, technology, etc can often pose challenges and headaches for all involved.

Advice to Management

Consider piloting new programs to get the "bugs" out first. Forcing a change too quickly only causes undue stress.

8. "Great School District"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Parkway School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Medical Insurance is excellent--no longer free--a reasonable amount is deducted from pay

Cons

cutting the budget =surprise termination of some long term and new positions

9. "It has been very beneficial toward my career."

Current Employee - Plan Teaching Assistant in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Plan Teaching Assistant in Chesterfield, MO

Pros

There are multiple opportunities to work with students to build teaching skills. The staff is very professional, and the principal I work for sets a very nice environment for the school.

Cons

In my position (Teaching Assistant), there is only so much control I have over my school day and the decisions I get to make. However, I knew that going in.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to keep on keeping on. My experience has been a very positive one, and I can only hope to continue w/ a certified position for next year.

10. "A wonderful place to work."

I have been working at Parkway School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The district has great benefits.

Cons

The district is currently going through budget cuts.